Things to Do While Trooping

Now that I have a few troops under my TK belt, I have seen what our costumes can do to other people and can make them smile and laugh. Those smiles are what makes me want to do this more than ever.  And there are some things that a Stormtrooper can do for fun to make people have a better time and laugh more.  Here are some that I came up with.  Try them yourselves!

Things to Do While Trooping:

1. Photobomb whenever possible! - If you see people lining up in front of you, look over their shoulders or around them and make sure you see their camera.
  2. Did I Smile – After they take your picture, ask them, ‘Was I smiling?’, or, ‘Did I blink?’  Sometimes, they will actually go and view the photo and start to laugh when they realize the joke.
  3. Walk Funny! - When I’m called to join others in a group line for a photo, I may walk over like a penguin, waddling back and forth, or like Charlie Chaplin and the Keystone Cops.  However, when I’m with a group, it is a formal military walk!
  4. Ask for Blue Milk at food establishment order lines. When they don’t have it, say something like ‘What kind of a planet and I deployed on?’
  5. Get Selfies with Mom/Dad! - After they take pictures of their kids with you, walk up to them and say “You need to be in a picture, too. Selfie time!”  If they say 'No', ask when have you ever had a chance to get a selfie with a Stormtrooper?  Works every time!
  6. Look for Droids! - Walk up with another Stormtrooper to middle-aged to teenaged people, look at their phone, hold it if they will let you, shake your heads and hand it back, saying “This is not the Droid we are looking for” and walk on.  Works great, especially if it is an Apple iPhone.
  7. Join the Activities that are going on - playing Bingo, coloring pictures, reading books - anything that the kids are doing that can be done in costume, the kids are thrilled if you do it too.
  8. Quote the movies! – Most people from teens and older, know the movies well enough to recognize a line from them. Many times, they say lines first.  Good ones I’ve used are:  “I have a bad feeling about this!”  “Move Along!” “Do I talk first or you talk first? I talk first?”  “The Force is strong with this one!”  “I find your lack of _____ disturbing!” (fill in the blank with something going on – cheer, decorations, refreshments, customers or use the original, faith)  Although not spoken in any movie, a line that is understood and always gets a laugh is,  “Don’t make me shoot in your general direction!"  At a recent troop at a church, a lady thought we were members there and asked me “Who was I?”  I couldn’t resist and replied “I’m no one”. She then asked, “What’s your name?” I just had to answer, in my male voice, “Rey!”  She chuckled.
  9. Act Goofy behind the camera man - Try giving bunny ears to a photographer who’s taking a picture of other Troopers and family. Or play with their hair, or make any other funny gestures to make those getting the picture to smile, or laugh!
  10. Give Bunny Ears!  - People are so excited to be standing next to such a celebrity from the movies that all they want is a picture. They start laughing when look at the picture of the two of you and they see bunny ears over their head. Works great in group shots, as well. 

What do you do to make people smile?

Edited by wingnut65
spellcheck
  • Like 20

I always like saying please retake the photo because I blinked. That seems to always get a laugh. All the above are excellent to get people to smile. Great topic!

Thanks, 

• Like 4

Whilst I agree with most of these, especially the verbal ones , I never like to see TKs looking too out of character ...walking goofy for example, in my opinion, is something a stormtrooper wouldn't do . I've seen " dancing" troopers , yes it makes people laugh, but it disrespects what the trooper stands for . You can make people laugh and enjoy the meeting without making yourself look stupid . <br>

Always keep in mind ....what would Vader say ? ;0)

• Like 5

Great ideas, Jeff!  While I agree that there are times (like canon events) that one needs to retain an aura of seriousness, I personally like to have fun when I'm mixing with the masses!   I normally spend most of the time at most troops looking rather staid, but when I do something like the bunny ears or photo-bomb it throws people off guard and always gets a grin!  On many troops, there are very small kids involved, (who have no idea what a Stormtrooper is) and I would rather clown around a bit to put them at ease and make them smile rather than scare the bejeezers out of them.  

I am TOTALLY borrowing your "Don't make me shoot in your general direction" line.... Hilarious!

• Like 7

Love goofing off on troops!

But I like staying in character while I do it. Most of the time I'm just pretending I'm stationed on a new planet in a galaxy we've never been before. So everything is weird and unknown. I seem to get a lot of kicks out of that.

• Like 1

A good one is to sneak up behind the person who is taking the picture of their friends and/or family with members of our group.

Most people feel rather secure, because they know the action is in front of their camera.

You throw them completely off the track if you just stand behind them, waiting for the photo to be taken and then "control if they did it right".

Instantly they themselves become the focus of attention, much to the enjoyment of the others ...

Walking goofy and clowning around depends on the situation.

If I stand around too long i get bored and need to do something differently.

If there are smaller children I already have found myself doing silly dances with other cartoon walking acts.

If the audience is more mature I walk around as if I own the place and then all of asudden break character and photobomb everyone who is not quick enough to get away.

I also controlled popcorn and fizzy drinks for "imperial standards". (BTW, don't try that without costume!)

So it all depends on my surroundings.

But honestly, I see it as our duty to spread fun in a charming way and for me nothing is more boring than standing around doing nothing.

• Like 2

Great stories, Troopers!  It is great to hear others have been able to "spread fun in a charming way" and make people smile. :smiley-sw013:

Yes, by all means, there must be a balance between having fun and being serious.  There are times for both. We can be very scary to little ones and doing something funny to help them comfortable with you may be just what it takes.  And as for what would Vader say?  The Vader I troop with has over 280 troops and he knows the balance.  Many of the fun tricks that I do, I learned from Vader!

I read somewhere an old timer put it all in perspective... "We're middle aged nerds wearing Tupperware. Keep it fun."

• Like 9

• 2 months later...

Love the thread, getting ready to do my first troop on Friday for a bunch of kids at a summer camp who will have completed Jedi training (rebel rebel). I figure I'm gonna need to have some lines ready and pull some jedi mind tricks on the kids to get me out of getting whacked with plastic light sabers for an hour.  :laugh1:

• Like 1

Oh...  The things I do in armor...

For Canon events, I'm typically very quiet and business like, occasionally acting like a bit of a brute if that's what they want us to do.

Non-Canon events...  Far less businesslike.  Straight up, at those events (sporting events, etc) it is all about the fans.  

One of my favorite things to do when I see little kids acting excited about me is I flip the script on them.  I act very excited to see them, I kneel down and point at them and say stuff like "WOW, I didn't know you were going to be here!  I didn't bring my autograph book.  Can we take a picture together?"  It really makes the little ones feel special.  

I also will put any child in an Imperial/First Order costume in charge of the area.  To include their parents.  I let them march around the area and I clear a path for them in the crowd.  Parents always love seeing their children get to have that kind of fun, and really, when is it going to happen again?

Now, where I really have the most fun is at Conventions.  I stand immediately in front of closed Elevator doors, so that when they open and people want to leave the elevator, they're startled by the very tall Stormtrooper in their way.  I correct people for not using handrails, running in hallways, walking on the wrong side of the halls.  Anyone who asks for a picture is usually met with some sort of snark before getting their picture.  For instance, two Mortal Kombat cosplayers asked for a picture and they we're told that they have to fight for the right, and the winner gets the photo - and the fight must end in a fatality.  I've done the blue milk crawl of all of the food facilities.  I ask people if they know of the rebellion against the Empire, and of course if they say yes, they're immediately placed under arrest.  No holds barred at a convention.  LoL.

Great list Jeff!  Thank you for sharing!   :smiley-sw013:  

• Like 9

I've only been on one troop, and it was a very stoic and humbling one. But this is great insight as to the fun to be had at my upcoming trips.

I've had a lot of these ideas as well, but some are so amazing I can't believe I didn't think of them.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

One of my new favorite things to do at non-canon events is this:  I have the ability to stand perfectly motionless, (thanks to the U.S. military).  I stand near an entrance, and inevitably people walk up for a photo with the "mannequin".  When I look over at them and say "Can I help you", the looks are priceless.  A word of caution if you try this, do NOT lock your knees.  You can pass out.

• Like 8

Standing like a mannequin has to be one of my favorite, amazing how many fall for it and get a massive surprise once you move or speak ;)

• Like 1

Standing like a mannequin has to be one of my favorite, amazing how many fall for it and get a massive surprise once you move or speak ;)

Might be worth taking a painted sheet of plywood for a plinth to stand on, just to make you look like an authentic mannequin :D

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Fun with Elevators

Elevators are awesome for Trooping.  Tim mentioned that he loves the shock value of elevators at conventions and there is more fun to be had.  So far, the only Troops that I have had this opportunity are at Hospitals, Museums, Sports Stadiums and Arenas. Elevators are great besides for just getting a Star Wars Selfie in an elevator, the opening door offers an element of surprise for anyone on the other side of the door...

Star Wars Selfies – Taking a ride in an elevator with a Stormtrooper, Darth Vader or other characters just doesn’t happen every day and passengers want to tell their friends what they are actually doing. At some events, they may get lucky and also get some Mercs and Ghostbusters in the picture.

MOFMugN.jpg

Elevator Surprise – Or possibly Elevator Shock…  When waiting for an elevator, stand 3-4’ (1+ meters) away and facing the door. People are so used to getting on and off elevators that they will be shocked to see a Stormtrooper securing the floor as the door opens. Even better if you are able to be holding a blaster.  There is still enough space between you and the door for any passengers to get off at that floor, if they really want to.  This is most impressive if there are other Stormtroopers and Vader standing behind you.

When riding on an elevator, stand close and facing the door waiting for it to open, with a blaster, if possible... Nobody is really expecting to have a Stormtrooper greet them at the door.  It helps having Mr. Breathing Machine or a Wookiee standing behind you.  If the elevator is completely full and the door opens on an intermediate floor, hold your hand up to people wanting to get on and say, “Prisoner transfer. Please wait for the next lift.”

If there is still room in the elevator, step aside and let them board.  But have fun with them, especially if there are kids with them.  Before letting them on, ask for the password. Whatever word they give you, say, “That was last week’s password”, or “Password confirmed.”  I’ve let a family on an elevator and told Vader “These are not the Padawans we are looking for.”

When getting off an elevator, I like to stand at the door for the first impression. I walk out holding my blaster straight up, look both ways up and down the hallway and then signal the others that the floor is secure and they can exit the elevator.

Go have fun and make someone smile!

Edited by wingnut65
  • Like 3

Go shopping... especially for lunch :D

(Non 501st event recently)

IMG_1519_zpsulnhrmzw.jpg

... or get your eyes tested... not that it'll make us shoot any better...

IMG_1510_zpszquf61vk.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...