Atin's AP build thread

Hey mate about your bottom thigh ridge alignment, I had the exact same issue.  I was scratching my head thinking "what happened here?".

I took an offcut of the ridge from the trimming I did on the thigh and used it as a shim inside the ridge.  I glued one end first (can't remember if I used superglue or E6000, I think E6000 only because I did it when gluing the inner strip as well), then the other end after a day.

IMG_20160423_002003_zpszyt81dso.jpg

IMG_20160423_002024_zpsau7to6iy.jpg

It does look messy but I wasn't sparing on the glue here.  I used clamps however possible to keep the shim in place while the glue cured.

On the outside it looks like this.....

IMG_20160423_002045_zpsdg3nxrag.jpg

IMG_20160423_002058_zpsvhptfg8v.jpg

You could fill the gap I guess, but I'm going to leave it as is unless I need to.

A word of warning, I did use some water treatment before glueing but try to avoid it if you can.  I got this kink on the underside of the ridge through trying to bend in the piece sticking out while doing the hot tub treatment.....

IMG_20160423_002218_zpsum6mzwms.jpg

However, I used a normal iron, a pillow case (between iron and armour), and a piece of aluminium strip which I heated with the iron and then against the plastic (again both with and without the pillow case in between) and managed to get the kink to this....

IMG_20160423_010627_zpsw233hfu5.jpg

I'll leave mine at this for now and come back to it if it bugs me.  It's the inner thigh side and the underside of the ridge so not really noticeable.

Moral of this story - try to use glue and clamps to match them together and not the hot tub.  I hope this helps.  Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The tab system works great, thanks again for the brilliant suggestion! I've also put some padding into the ab pieces and it fits really well now.

I've tweaked a lot of other things including the strap length for the dropboxes, the shoulder bell position and the chest to back bridges. I've also added velcro to my boots to keep the shins in place and padded the thighs to keep them from getting caught in the sniper knee plate.

Below are my submission pictures that I just submitted a couple of hours ago. Thanks again for everyone who helped me out!

DSC07669_zpsttacqpoa.jpg

You can see the rest here: http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/Atin1337/library/501st%20submission%20photos?sort=9&page=1

Next up are helmet electronics. I should have started with those a while ago but better late than never. Just ordered ukswrath's fan system and SHA. Tonight I'm going to install the Aker. Don't know yet whether the ICOMM is worth it for me, seeing that others are hard at work with apps that basically do the same thing.

Edited by Atin
  • Like 3

The approval process went way faster than I anticipated. TK-62726 reporting for duty!

I could not have done this alone, so a special shout out goes to Terry/Pandatrooper and Jay/CoasterTK from my garrison, as well as Gary, Kris, and Aaron who have helped me here. You guys rock!

Edited by Atin
  • Like 4