Rogue One

DeceptiSean

I have only 3 things that I really dislike about Star Wars films...

1. Phantom Menace.
2. Specifically, Jar Jar Binks.
3. That ridiculous 'NOOOooooo', from Darth Vader in Revenge of the Sith.

I really enjoyed The Force Awakens. 
The look of the stormtroopers in the new Rogue One trailer really don't bother me. They're close enough that kids won't be able to tell the difference between me and a hero :D

Edited by humperdingle
  • Like 2

The only problem I see with what you're saying is about the RO "bad armour"

If the OT TK started life with this new armour and then Disney made changes for RO you would still call the new armour bad because it's different from what you know and love...

I believe changes had to be made for practicality manoeuvrability and realism, the OT TK would be laughed at these days due to its impracticability and its (by today's standards) shoddy build quality...

It was either make the changes or make them all cgi, I know which I'd prefer...

Anything except the OT armour is bad armour ;)

Regardless of the reasons for making this 'hideous' new armour (Yes, I think it's disgusting and an insult to the original ANH armour) it looks like a bad, half-an impolite person attempt at making armour. When I first saw the leaked photos I thought it was a fan film because the armour looked so bad. The strapping looks like it came from a 90's FX when no one knew any better. The whole thing is just so disappointing for me.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are taking this as a personal insult. Which i am sure it is not! I think i just have to get over the fact that many people don't share my unconditional liking of the armors (i am no fan of the prequels itself, but liked TFA quite a bit).

Edited by Fedaykin
  • Like 2

Anything except the OT armour is bad armour ;)

Regardless of the reasons for making this 'hideous' new armour (Yes, I think it's disgusting and an insult to the original ANH armour) it looks like a bad, half-an impolite person attempt at making armour. When I first saw the leaked photos I thought it was a fan film because the armour looked so bad. The strapping looks like it came from a 90's FX when no one knew any better. The whole thing is just so disappointing for me.

There will always be a need for someone to keep the light lit to remind us where we came from and how to get back. We wouldn't expect anything less from reputable armor builders.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are taking this as a personal insult. Which i am sure it is not! I think i just have to get over the fact that many people don't share my unconditional liking of the armors (i am no fan of the prequels itself, but liked TFA quite a bit).

I love my FO TK as well 

I feel like they could have built it slightly better, mind you I am still fairly new to this but you would expect a certain amount of continuity between the films. As it sits there are more armor differences between RO and ANH (which in all likelihood ends with the plans being loaded on the Tantive IV) then there are between ANH and ESB (which occurs 3 years apart). As it sits though with construction they do not have the same look and illusion as the armor that we wear now, our armor passes off as real armor (quirks and all), but to me the armor from Rogue One looks more like a costume, what with the splitting armor parts and elastic everywhere.

If the differences are driving folks so crazy,..it's actually quite easy to 'head canon' the discrepancies away using in universe logic..

Just think of the RO armour as the standard,base TK,..say the Phase 1 TK. The guys we see in ANH,seeing as they are all based on the Deathstar(or are Vaders personal troopers on the Tantive) are rocking the brand new and improved Phase2, straight off the asssembly line.(We could say the Hero lid is an upgrade,Phase 2.1) Following this train of thought, ESB guys are rocking Phase 2.5, ROTJ Phase 3.

Course,..that all falls apart when you take into consideration the ROTJ guys in ANH SE Deathstar scenes...

OR,..using real world logic,..just accept that 95% of the audience will not notice anything different and at the end of the day,..it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

What actually bothers me more,is these new trooper varients we are seeing,..all of which conveniently were just off screen during the OT-the scarab trooper,deathtrooper,..whatever Felicity Jones is disguised as...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There will always be the likers and haters of new costumes. This 'new' version of the classic TK armour is probably closer to the way Lucas wanted the TKs to look. Although it is set just prior to ANH, I think the majority of fans would be disappointed if the TKs armour was 'screen accurate' to ANH, after all, a blind man could read the surface of the helmets, they were that rough! I think they rock, and still think the original TKs are far better looking than any Clone or FO armour !

• Like 1

Haters gonna hate and lovers are gonna love. I'm not going to take anything personal. We all have a right to our opinion. Being partial to a particular kit, be it ANH, ESB, ROTJ, or TFA does not make you a Nazi or any of the other nasty terms that some people like to use. Imagine if ROTJ came out just this year; would we be happy with those new troopers? I know I wouldn't. I would be stuck on my ANH and you couldn't convince me any different. But I know some people like the look of the ROTJ troopers and that's quite alright. We don't need to call names or belittle people because of it.

I give more thought to the direction this hobby is going and where we fit in to it now that it's changing. This is a time when we should be most united.

• Like 4

I give more thought to the direction this hobby is going and where we fit in to it now that it's changing. This is a time when we should be most united.

Which direction is it headed?

Trying to be optimistic here however, I predict within the next few years the market will be flooded with so many new costumes (ex. new variations of TKs), and if none of these new movies use the existing OT TK designs they will then become artifacts of the past. If your an serious armorer and not taking this into consideration you may find yourself only making armor for collectors or the few remaining diehards. Times are changing rapidly. 

• Like 1

Haters gonna hate and lovers are gonna love. I'm not going to take anything personal. We all have a right to our opinion. Being partial to a particular kit, be it ANH, ESB, ROTJ, or TFA does not make you a Nazi or any of the other nasty terms that some people like to use. Imagine if ROTJ came out just this year; would we be happy with those new troopers? I know I wouldn't. I would be stuck on my ANH and you couldn't convince me any different. But I know some people like the look of the ROTJ troopers and that's quite alright. We don't need to call names or belittle people because of it.

I agree whole heartily. Albin Johnson started the 501st not only because he was an enthusiast but because he knows there is more we can do for our communities and the costume is the vehicle that is used to connect with people. I totally get wanting to be accurate and that everyone has their preference. I for example drive a tiny Fiat 500 and people laugh and joke about it, I did too before I drove one, then I loved it. I personally like ANH troopers but I'm not going to bash anyone because they like any other type. As I said before I also like the Rebels TK and they refuse to make a CRL for it. Once I finish my ANH Stunt I'm building one! Why? Because I'll be able to connect with kids who's first exposure to SW may have been Rebels. I'm a Wish Granter for Make-A-Wish and the parent of a Wish Hero. After 23 years in the Army and 4 deployments I have seen enough ugliness in the world. It doesn't belong here.

Please remember why this club was started. Respect and appreciate everyone's opinions and take the enthusiasm you have for SW and share it in a positive way.

"Bad guys doing good!"79f90ac848668966c5909f0a211fe02e.jpg

• Like 4

Guys, yeeeeah they ain't OT, and I get you, but I've been following the film and the set photos that come with it and people have painstakingly handmade and put these together, isn't that what we do?

Moreover, its a war movie, troops are gonna be running and fighting, so I can't blame the designers there.

End of the day;

Are we getting TKs? Yes.

Are we getting Star Wars? Yes.

Are we getting new troops? Yes.

Are we getting a Death Star? Yes.

Let's be thankful for what we've got!!

Sent from my 5022X using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Will people SToP saying these aren't screen accurate! They obviously as they are from the new film hence WILL BE ON SCREEN... Sheeesh...

If you want to say "they're not ANH accurate" fair enough...

that's no moon, Kim Kardashian is bending over again...

• Like 1

Will people SToP saying these aren't screen accurate! They obviously as they are from the new film hence WILL BE ON SCREEN... Sheeesh...

If you want to say "they're not ANH accurate" fair enough...

that's no moon, Kim Kardashian is bending over again...

So what you're saying is we should stop saying they're screen accurate if we're referring to the Rogue One TK? It's obvious they're screen accurate from the Rogue One standpoint correct? It's a given that they're not to the OT TK. I don't know I'm just having a little fun here since there's so many panties in a bunch over this.  :D

• Like 1

So what you're saying is we should stop saying they're screen accurate if we're referring to the Rouge One TK? It's obvious they're screen accurate from the Rouge One standpoint correct? It's a given that they're not to the OT TK. I don't know I'm just having a little fun here since there's so many panties in a bunch over this.  :D

You can stop calling it "Rouge One" :D

Wasn't Mark Hamill in 'The Big Red One'?

Yes he was, cool flick too if you like those old war movies  ;)

I do! Haven't seen that one in a while but seem to remember it was quite brutal for its time (obviously war is always brutal but sometimes its portrayal is not in the older films).

• Like 1

I do! Haven't seen that one in a while but seem to remember it was quite brutal for its time (obviously war is always brutal but sometimes its portrayal is not in the older films).

war is always brutal but sometimes its portrayal is not in the older films

That's the truth, I bet Rogue One ;)  will be more violent the an older war movie. A sad state of our world these days.

• Like 1

I think everyone will agree that the R1 TK is indeed screen accurate, they don't have a choice it's on the screen.

I'm thinking people are just frustrated that there is another version of armor out there and initially even I was a bit frustrated too. In my head I said, "Dang it Disney! You have an awesome resource, the 501st, you could have called just about anyone who's been doing this for more than five years and built a "super squad" of armor builders and had awesome, consistent, armor!!!"

Seriously give that a thought, if they called in the all the great makers, TM, AM, TE2, AP, ATA, Gino, RS, Walt, etc. not to mention all the great builders and those with passion for "getting it right" (as this thread shows there are PLENTY! Love you guys but WOW!).

This is all total fiction but wow, it would be the ultimate "dream team". But Disney being who they are, a totally amazing mega corporation, but at the same time tying to protect their brand. They "tolerate" us. They even allow us to participate in events at Disney parks. If they were to do what I'm suggesting it would almost officially endorse us. I'm not a lawyer (I'm sure that's obvious! ) but if Disney did this I think they fear the flood gates would open up. Instead they license crap like Rubies, who they have control over if it's not outright owed by Disney in some way.

Sorry that got a little off topic.

That being said I believe the frustration is that people now feel the need to like and accept something new. If you observe human nature, as I do, people don't do that well.

Right now we're in the latter parts of the anger stage / beginning of bargaining. Soon it will be depression then acceptance!

Don't worry we're here for those of you that are having trouble in these trying TK times.

Free hugs are available if you want them.

Jim

• Like 2

Love how this thread devolved from Rogue One TKs into War Movies Hahaha

Sent from my 5022X using Tapatalk

Yea it went a little south didn't it? My bad. Alright back to the regularly scheduled feud. Party on Garth   :peace: