Rogue One

DeceptiSean

On 4/9/2016 at 2:41 PM, AWOL said:

Not him, the guy sat to his left (right as we look at it), his helmet is behind him and his cod definitely damaged...

That is who I am referring to.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 1

The TK overall just looks flappy and cheap, not like something they could pass off as a suit wearable in space. That's one thing I really liked about TFA, the suits looked more solid and believable. I guess since this is an in between movie they aren't putting a lot of resources into it, but jeez, I excepted a little more effort. Shadow trooper and tan TK's look nice though, can't wait to see what people make of those, especially since SGB said he'd probably start working on the bucket once more references photos were released

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry but the fat duck-face TFA Stormies are not comparable to the iconic classic OT Stormtroopers (not even with the RO idealized ones) :)

• Like 1

Here are some names of the Troopers. I'm not sure if they are code names for production use, or "in universe" names. <br><br><br><br>

Black armored Troops are Death Troopers or Death Squad Troopers<br><br><br>

Troops with a slightly TB styles helmet are Scarab Troopers<br><br><br>

There are also Pinnacle Troopers and "Shark Yellow" Troopers. I'm guessing the last one is a code name. <br><br><br><br><br>

No Shadow Troopers named yet. As of right now they are still not canon, with the possible exception of being in Battlefront. Personally, I think they just ran out of characters to play on the Imperial side. <br><br><br>

The tank Trooper in the teaser is different, and could possibly be one mentioned above. <br><br><br><br><br>

The general audience sees Stormtroopers when they watch this teaser. We see every little piece of a TK. If they are a little different from ANH, so what? We may find it sloppier looking or something like that, but maybe there is a reason, like ability to move, as mentioned before. <br><br><br>

If you don't want to wear an R1 TK, you don't have to. If you want to mod your armor, you can.

Edited by Timmer

I think the original Stormtrooper now will have 2 separate branches: the classic OT Stormtrooper (asymmetrical, wonky, rough - which I love) and the RO Stormtrooper (more idealized, most likely symmetrical, better fitting armor and still resembling the classic Stormie).

And of course the new RO Stormtrooper armors are different from the OT Stormtrooper in overall design (not discussing here the pauldrons or knee plates) and this is because of a few factors like the much larger budget for RO and prop making (just $11 million budget for ANH - the rough equivalent of $40 million today compared for example to TFA - $245 million - even if RO has a smaller budget it won't be just $40 million), also the need to consider the hi-def quality of image today, where you can observe the issues of anything on screen (no way disney would have allowed asymmetrical rough armors and helmets on screen), then you need build of the armor to fit the actors much better (maybe even for their protection), the same with the props etc. It wouldn't be right for present time to re-use the OT sculpt directly without any improvements. I love the OT TK, but it is not fit for this time and age of film-making.

Man I feel like it's starting to get really hard to continue to be a part of these fan communities. I joined them to meet other fans and to have someone to talk to about the things I like, but it seems like it has just turned into a centralized place for people to complain. The transformers masterpiece collectors are all the same way. It's exhausting. I get it I really do. I couldn't stand the force awakens when I first saw it, but really I think everyone is being a bit rediculous with this new armor. Yea it's a lot different. So was return of the Jedi armor. Yea the helmet is a bit soft but it looks like a nice mix of the hero and stunt look. And I like the new armor, honestly if it were available I'd probably order it so I can actually move. The armor itself is a lot less wonky then the original which I like. So they look more military to me, which I think will add to the movie. But to me it's not different enough to justify hate. Can't we all just be glad that people aren't calling us clone troopers anymore? That was pretty much all I got for years haha. We are the main trooper again. And that's awesome

• Like 5

It kills me to see them do it, but it looks like LFL is continuing the trend of TKs with pauldrons.  Sadly they are not just for Sandies anymore.

Personally, I don't mind at all. I think the intention of LFL has always been that TKs out in the field may wear pauldrons to indicate rank. I suspect they didn't think fans would go to lengths to divide sandtroopers from stormtroopers or that we would notice the relatively tiny things that set us apart from each other. I remember when I first saw Star Wars back in the day, I made the direct connection that the TKs on Tantive IV were the same type of troopers hunting down the droids on Tatooine. 

I must admit that I wish the kits in Rogue One were identical to ANH--it makes the most sense to me and, frankly, it would open up a world of possibilities for all of us that currently own ANH TKs. We could wear pauldrons or carry T-21s or have the funky new backpacks--all film canon, the holy grail of Star Wars costuming. Sadly, we're relegated to having to get whole new kits if we want any of that new stuff. That's what makes me the most sad LOL. I agree that 99.99% of the film going audience won't notice any difference between RO Tks and ANH Tks...and that's okay.

Personally, I don't mind at all. I think the intention of LFL has always been that TKs out in the field may wear pauldrons to indicate rank. I suspect they didn't think fans would go to lengths to divide sandtroopers from stormtroopers or that we would notice the relatively tiny things that set us apart from each other. I remember when I first saw Star Wars back in the day, I made the direct connection that the TKs on Tantive IV were the same type of troopers hunting down the droids on Tatooine.

I must admit that I wish the kits in Rogue One were identical to ANH--it makes the most sense to me and, frankly, it would open up a world of possibilities for all of us that currently own ANH TKs. We could wear pauldrons or carry T-21s or have the funky new backpacks--all film canon, the holy grail of Star Wars costuming. Sadly, we're relegated to having to get whole new kits if we want any of that new stuff. That's what makes me the most sad LOL. I agree that 99.99% of the film going audience won't notice any difference between RO Tks and ANH Tks...and that's okay.

I'd always thought pauldrons had a more practical use, like slinging a heavy blaster on the shoulder.

Think it's a heavy weapons trooper...

that's no moon, Kim Kardashian is bending over again...

Could be. Just got excited that with all these "veteran troopers" commenting and pointing out all the differences that a relatively new guy, like me, may have caught something they might have missed.

I for one am not at all complaining or picking anything apart. As mentioned everything we see in R1 (or RO, whichever) is now canon and screen accurate. If you don't like it, don't make one. But if someone prefers the look of it, then let them have their opinion and help them make it as accurate as possible.

Just like the Rebels trooper, yes it's WAY different than the screen troopers, but it is officially part of the Star Wars story now. I personally think it's kind of cool and once I have my ANH stunt together, and approved, l may think of putting one together. As a Wish Granter for Make-A-Wish, I think a lot of kids would get a kick out of it! After all we have other "cartoon troopers" with their own CRL's why not the Rebels TK (oh yes I did!) and the R1/RO TK?

I like that this is a place where we can all discuss our opinions, from around the WORLD!! Some of us have a great Eye for detail and amazing sculpting, electronics and vacuum-forming skills but no one persons opinion matters more than another, it's all subjective. We are all brothers and sisters with a common interest and a passion for helping each other and our communities. Let's remember that and keep these conversations lite and fun!

<end of rant>

The old crappy, wonky, asymmetrical and rough OT Stormtrooper armors are not good for today's standards of film-making. People going into the cinema don't want to see gaffer tape or badly built armor on a hi-def 3D movie. I love the crappy OT Stormie armor, it is the one and only for me, I have no interest in getting an idealized one, but I totally get the idea of new improved stuff for the present cinematic times.

• Like 2

Man I feel like it's starting to get really hard to continue to be a part of these fan communities. I joined them to meet other fans and to have someone to talk to about the things I like, but it seems like it has just turned into a centralized place for people to complain. The transformers masterpiece collectors are all the same way. It's exhausting. I get it I really do. I couldn't stand the force awakens when I first saw it, but really I think everyone is being a bit rediculous with this new armor. Yea it's a lot different. So was return of the Jedi armor. Yea the helmet is a bit soft but it looks like a nice mix of the hero and stunt look. And I like the new armor, honestly if it were available I'd probably order it so I can actually move. The armor itself is a lot less wonky then the original which I like. So they look more military to me, which I think will add to the movie. But to me it's not different enough to justify hate. Can't we all just be glad that people aren't calling us clone troopers anymore? That was pretty much all I got for years haha. We are the main trooper again. And that's awesome

I call it 'poisonous fandom' which is pretty self explanatory. There is a fine line between critiquing and flat out attacking something, which I've seen is becoming more and more blurred. It's in everything that has fans but I believe SW has a much larger positive fan base than most others :)

I seem to be in the minority of this thread when I say I like the new armour, especially when you see them all running down the train station with great range of motion. I think it strikes a balance between capturing and respecting the look of the classic OTTK while updating it to be user friendly. Only critiuqe I have of it is how poor the connections are with thighs splitting open everywhere, but that is something people like us can fix when we build ours!

On a positive note though, how cool are the new 'death', tank, and 'scarab' troopers?? Definitely looking for to seeing those builds, might even build a 'scarab' myself if I have the time and resources!!!

• Like 2

Might be the same person??

Could be, but I don't think so. Felicity Jones is only 5'3", while Gwendoline Christie is 6'3". And Phasma has a long back story created by Disney. But who knows, it will be cool to see it all unfold!

Andrew Liptak (TK 3220) wrote a pretty good rundown as well:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/so-you-want-to-join-the-empire-what-we-learned-about-t-1769841460

Thank you for sharing that link.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It is indeed kind of saddening to read this much negativity towards an unreleased movie for our favourite franchise. In my opinion, it is their movie and their franchise and if they decide the armor looks that way, than that is a 100% fact and we have to accept that. There is no point in discussing the accuracy of this armor. It is on screen, therefore it is accurate. It can, by definition, not be inaccurate. I might get some angry replies but that is the way i see it. Why should they consult the 501st? They define the standards, not us. All being said, i kinda love all the armors, from the Prequels to TFA, so thats that.

• Like 8

I totally agree with you, Thomas. It makes me laugh when I read how people think the 501st should be consulted by Disney or LFL. It's their movie - either like it or loath it. I think Rogue One looks much better than TFA which I have only seen once and do not care to see it again. The TFA armour is so bad in my eyes and film was so predictable. I just hope I can overlook the eyesore of stormtrooper armour in RO and enjoy the movie.

• Like 2

It is indeed kind of saddening to read this much negativity towards an unreleased movie for our favourite franchise. In my opinion, it is their movie and their franchise and if they decide the armor looks that way, than that is a 100% fact and we have to accept that. There is no point in discussing the accuracy of this armor. It is on screen, therefore it is accurate. It can, by definition, not be inaccurate. I might get some angry replies but that is the way i see it. Why should they consult the 501st? They define the standards, not us. All being said, i kinda love all the armors, from the Prequels to TFA, so thats that.

It was not my intention to disparage the look or build of the TKs in the upcoming film with this thread. I was hoping to simply discuss the differences and possibly how it may affect future builds. It is interesting to me what others may have observed. Unfortunately, there are those who would rather share their negative criticism.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I totally agree with you, Thomas. It makes me laugh when I read how people think the 501st should be consulted by Disney or LFL. It's their movie - either like it or loath it. I think Rogue One looks much better than TFA which I have only seen once and do not care to see it again. The TFA armour is so bad in my eyes and film was so predictable. I just hope I can overlook the eyesore of stormtrooper armour in RO and enjoy the movie.

The only problem I see with what you're saying is about the RO "bad armour"

If the OT TK started life with this new armour and then Disney made changes for RO you would still call the new armour bad because it's different from what you know and love...

I believe changes had to be made for practicality manoeuvrability and realism, the OT TK would be laughed at these days due to its impracticability and its (by today's standards) shoddy build quality...

It was either make the changes or make them all cgi, I know which I'd prefer...

Edited by AWOL

I suppose the only way of putting this "discussion" into reality is,

If nobody accepted change we wouldn't be typing/reading this as we'd all still live in caves...

• Like 1