ROGUE ONE TRAILER - IMPERIAL STORMTROOPERS!

Redforce

I'm excited to see new death troopers and other variants but not a fan of the new tks. I'll embrace the changes but like ROTJ armor, I'll never be a fan personally. It already bugs me enough when I see TKs now wearing elastic to connect the chest and back at the sides. I wonder if those "sandtroopers" will be sandtroopers or HWT. 

Not sure if its the resolution not picking them up but in the top 2 pics there is a trooper in each that you can see the ab plate, neither if them seem to have ab buttons...

Ab buttons are there, all be it modified as per the rest of the suit and lid. :)

RO%20TKs%20Ab%20Buttons.01_zpsuz0ipij4.j

One of the most frustrating things about the Rogue One TK is the complete disregard for continuity of the original costume. The timeline for the story is supposed to be days/weeks before ANH so the costumes should for all means and purposes be the same for any and all established characters.

I get the ‘Then-and now’ angle that many have voiced regarding construction, ease of use, cleaner visual appearance, etc., etc., but I’m sorry, you can’t tell me that with all the modern technology that we now have regarding design, materials and manufacturing that if they REEEEELLY wanted to they couldn’t have come up with a functional and practical version that fits the bill whilst retaining the full essence and elements of the originals.

I think it’s pretty obvious that Disney/the Costume designers wanted to stamp their own mark and come up with THEIR version, THEIR interpretation, THEIR take on the costume, regardless of what others may think. :angry:

I suppose we should be grateful for small mercies, it could have been worse, it least we didn’t end up with Schumacher style nipples.

:)

• Like 5

...I'd bet the changes are comfort and wearability tweaks, seeing as in the trailer alone the TKs run and fly through the air from explosions. It'd need to withstand impact without smashing and provide superior mobility to the OT TK kits...

Eh, they wouldn't have had to worry about comfort and wearability if they'd just CG'd the darn things, like Lucas did for clones...

:: ducking and running ::

:D

Edited by Astyanax
  • Like 2

Ab buttons are there, all be it modified as per the rest of the suit and lid. :)

So it was just the resolution in the other pics then thought it might be the case...

that's no moon, Kim Kardashian is bending over again...

One of the most frustrating things about the Rogue One TK is the complete disregard for continuity of the original costume. The timeline for the story is supposed to be days/weeks before ANH so the costumes should for all means and purposes be the same for any and all established characters.

I get the ‘Then-and now’ angle that many have voiced regarding construction, ease of use, cleaner visual appearance, etc., etc., but I’m sorry, you can’t tell me that with all the modern technology that we now have regarding design, materials and manufacturing that if they REEEEELLY wanted to they couldn’t have come up with a functional and practical version that fits the bill whilst retaining the full essence and elements of the originals.

I think it’s pretty obvious that Disney/the Costume designers wanted to stamp their own mark and come up with THEIR version, THEIR interpretation, THEIR take on the costume, regardless of what others may think. :angry:

I suppose we should be grateful for small mercies, it could have been worse, it least we didn’t end up with Schumacher style nipples.

My guess is that it's much more likely the case that the costume designers and stunt coordinator got together and decided that function beats out (what for 99.5% of the viewing audience) are microscopic details.

Someone in stunts went "So, how many extra suits do you want to pull- 'cause if we use the old style suit our stunt guys might be breaking the thighs, shins and biceps with EVERY SINGLE STUNT. So figure 5-8 suits per take, and a given scene might be 3-8 takes.

Figure a minimum 15 damaged plates a day, a maximum of 485 or so".

And then costuming went "... we are NOT rebuilding each of these suits with every single stunt. That would be 100s of extra pulls! Why don't we mod the design so our guys can actually MOVE in them, and

nobody is going to be paying attention to the gap between the back of the thigh and the butt plate anyway *except for those nuts at the 501st, and this will drive them spare!*"  LOL :D

As much as we hate to admit it, movies are not made for the detail obsessed crowd. They are made for the general audience. We're over here trying to count how many new parts are on the R1 TKs E-11s (a sentence that would boggle a normal person's mind)

and everybody else in the theater is going "WOW, did you see that explosion! SO COOL HOW SHE DID THAT!".

:smiley-sw013:

• Like 1

My guess is that it's much more likely the case that the costume designers and stunt coordinator got together and decided that function beats out (what for 99.5% of the viewing audience) are microscopic details.

Someone in stunts went "So, how many extra suits do you want to pull- 'cause if we use the old style suit our stunt guys might be breaking the thighs, shins and biceps with EVERY SINGLE STUNT. So figure 5-8 suits per take, and a given scene might be 3-8 takes.

Figure a minimum 15 damaged plates a day, a maximum of 485 or so".

And then costuming went "... we are NOT rebuilding each of these suits with every single stunt. That would be 100s of extra pulls! Why don't we mod the design so our guys can actually MOVE in them, and

nobody is going to be paying attention to the gap between the back of the thigh and the butt plate anyway *except for those nuts at the 501st, and this will drive them spare!*"  LOL :D

As much as we hate to admit it, movies are not made for the detail obsessed crowd. They are made for the general audience. We're over here trying to count how many new parts are on the R1 TKs E-11s (a sentence that would boggle a normal person's mind)

and everybody else in the theater is going "WOW, did you see that explosion! SO COOL HOW SHE DID THAT!".

The design of an armor does not really define its resistance to wear in my opinion. I think the material it is made of is the real relevant factor. The OT armors were damaged so bad during shooting because they were vac-formed and stunts were asking them a lot. Nowadays, there's no way these armors would be vac-formed. They would be made the exact same way they did the TFA armors, and they would be a lot more resistant then.

About enhancing the OT mobility. I see three main points you can address to dramatically improve it without modifying much to the design:

- First, you need to split the cod from the ab plate. It will give the upper body a lot more flexibility. 

- Secondly, shorten the length of the thighs. I truly love the original shape of the original thighs and I find them absolutely magnificent. But I reckon they are a touch long for most of the people and if shortened at the groin area, you would gain quite some mobility.

- Third, be sure to have the shins and thighs notched at the knee area.

By doing just that, you would become able to do pretty much anything a stunt needs to be able to.

Lastly, about films not being made for details that's not entirely true either. It depends mostly on the director. Have you ever watched a Ridley Scott's movie? 

• Like 1

If it makes you feel any better, I was the only person in my garrison at my first troop that had them attached. I was also the only one who had trouble putting on and removing my bucket too though.

A small price to pay. Much better than having those big gaps.

If it makes you feel any better, I was the only person in my garrison at my first troop that had them attached. I was also the only one who had trouble putting on and removing my bucket too though.

Not sure what's different, but I have the straps between my biceps and forearms, and I can completely dress in my armor, by myself in less than fifteen minutes, including the belt, TD, bucket, etc. I may occasionally ask for a bit of assistance in ensuring that my left shoulder bridge is in the white elastic loop, but outside of that... No issues at all. If you'd like to figure out how to improve some things, I'd be happy to look at some pictures and offer some advice - as a lot of folks here would also be willing to do, of course. :)

• Like 1

I TOTALLY agree with you B)

However, i don't remember if someone has before underlined the fact that due to R1 Stormtrooper there is a lack of continuity between  Rebels Stormtrooper, that's an ANH in animated version, and the ANH Stormtrooper....But the problem is that R1 stormtrooper is after Rebels.... :angry: :angry:

Not sure what's different, but I have the straps between my biceps and forearms, and I can completely dress in my armor, by myself in less than fifteen minutes, including the belt, TD, bucket, etc. I may occasionally ask for a bit of assistance in ensuring that my left shoulder bridge is in the white elastic loop, but outside of that... No issues at all. If you'd like to figure out how to improve some things, I'd be happy to look at some pictures and offer some advice - as a lot of folks here would also be willing to do, of course. :)

Bolding mine. That's the only part I ever get stuck on as well. I put my pauldron on, then the right shoulder (snapping it in at the elastic shoulder piece) and I can get the left bicep and bell ON, but it is murder for me to get that one snapped. The first time I tried I actually broke the right bicep apart at both front and back seams. LOL