ROGUE ONE TRAILER - IMPERIAL STORMTROOPERS!

Redforce

I really liked seeing this trailer... There are some difference in the armor kits, but I guess that was expected. Either way, I'm just happy that the TK's get some more screen action!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Checked all the pictures and different types of TKs from this trailer.

Looking at the upper legs (for example) there are troopers with shorter upper legs (for improved movement) and some with "standard" length.

Is it possible, this movie has some optimized stunt armors and some armors with a closer look to the original ANH? :huh:

• Like 1

I'm surprised no one has mentioned how more bulkier (ala TFA Stormies) these Stormtroopers are. Honestly, I'm missing the traditional OT lanky/fit look.

I agree, the helmet does look very similar to the efx. I can also understand the changes made to the back/kidney but why get rid of the canvas belt? The double plastic belt looks cheap and stupid. I don't see how a plastic belt is more durable than a canvas belt... strange choice.

• Like 1

I'm surprised no one has mentioned how more bulkier (ala TFA Stormies) these Stormtroopers are. Honestly, I'm missing the traditional OT lanky/fit look.

I agree, the helmet does look very similar to the efx. I can also understand the changes made to the back/kidney but why get rid of the canvas belt? The double plastic belt looks cheap and stupid. I don't see how a plastic belt is more durable than a canvas belt... strange choice.

Two thoughts. The "Long lanky" look was for British acting extras c1976. Loads of these R1 extras are current duty British Army/Air Service (and probably a LOT more fit/built).

Re: The belt- they probably did that because with the higher definition film today the canvas will look totally different from the rest of the armour- something that couldn't be said of the OT since people were adrift as to what the material

was for quite a long time until the higher res versions were released.

This way the belt looks to be all part of one unit rather than a cheap fabric thing added on after the fact. (don't get me wrong, I love the OT kit, but I'm speaking from a costuming/visual design standpoint).

:smiley-sw013:

Edited by BadBatch
  • Like 1

Thanks, Paul (Daetrin)! Totally excited about this... We're going to have a new Star Wars movie every year for the foreseeable future. What could be better than that? I know that for awhile I was sad that Star Wars was over, then Disney bought LFL. Suddenly a little more Star Wars seemed likely again during my lifetime. Let's face it, if you saw the original one in the theater, you're very likely in/past mid-life. Now, we'll have new stories to see and new characters to learn about, and most awesomely, to share with our children. Speaking of children, well... Paul already covered it. :) Lets agree to disagree, people. Surprise, a group of people hate it. We probably all could have predicted that the moment we watched it the second time. If you can't stand it, and can't discuss it in a civilized manner, then as I said in my last newsletter rant, let it go. Just avoid the conversations, put your head in the sand, and pretend it is 1977. There are plenty of OT based threads to take part in. I love Stormtroopers, but we wouldn't have them without Star Wars, and we've got plenty of that to enjoy in the upcoming years. If you're able to rationally discuss the differences/changes without arguing over "better," "best," "worse" etc, then thank you, and let's keep having fun.

• Like 8

I'll see it like everyone else, but from the trailer at least it does not look to be as good as TFA.

Funny, for me it´s straight the other direction. TFA trailers didn´t impress me in any way, and it was only good enough for me to see it one time in the cinema (i will still buy the 3D BR for my cinema, but probably only when it´s on sale).

But the Rogue trailer makes me think "there is still hope".

And no more hungry ballerinas in plastic is no bad start. 

• Like 2

All I could think of was how many more new costumes we will have to choose from.  I do see a number of changes to the TK, but the shot of her beating the TK is more proof that having the back of your shins unhooked, is still cannon!

For the time period of when Rogue One takes place, maybe this can help.  Not mine, just lifted it from FB.

cpRllDg.jpg

Edited by wingnut65
  • Like 5

This probably has to do with the general beefiness of the average extra. Back in the 70s thin was very much in, and there wasn't a lot of weightlifting and bodybuilding outside weightlifting and bodybuilding circles. Big guys like Clint Eastwood were big, but not ripped the way you see actors today. Bulk and muscle are much more a part of the modern cinema male physique. I remember watching Jason and the Argonauts with my kids (granted that was filmed in 63) and thinking "Wow, this dude who is supposed to be the main hero is positively scrawny." (Much like myself, actually). Today if the filmed it the dude would be huge. Don't even get me started on Hercules.

I can't speak to the military--the actual military--of then and now, but guys now are generally bigger than the photos you see of soldiers in Vietnam. Not that there weren't big guys then, but weight training, like everything else, is easier to do now for most, so many many more guys do it. 

THis is all me talking out my posterior, but I've noticed the same thing in the troopers of then and now.

• Like 2

All I could think of was how many more new costumes we will have to choose from.  I do see a number of changes to the TK, but the shot of her beating the TK is more proof that having the back of your shins unhooked, is still cannon!

For the time period of when Rogue One takes place, maybe this can help.  Not mine, just lifted it from FB.

Rogue%20One%20is%20Here_zpsbdftvff7.jpg

Hahaaha, This is great! Thanks for posting.

Well, you could tell the AT-ATs in ESB were stop-motion 'fake' too! I feel that Rogue One's AT-ATs look/feel more menacing than ESB.

True true! It's just that I am used to the look of the older ones. Haha! Nevertheless, I am excited to see how this movie turns out. :)

I think the original Stormtrooper now will have 2 separate branches: the classic OT Stormtrooper (asymmetrical, wonky, rough - which I love) and the RO Stormtrooper (more idealized, most likely symmetrical, better fitting armor and still resembling the classic Stormie).

And of course the new RO Stormtrooper armors are different from the OT Stormtrooper in overall design (not discussing here the pauldrons or knee plates) and this is because of a few factors like the much larger budget for RO and prop making (just $11 million budget for ANH - the rough equivalent of $40 million today compared for example to TFA - $245 million - even if RO has a smaller budget it won't be just $40 million), also the need to consider the hi-def quality of image today, where you can observe the issues of anything on screen (no way disney would have allowed asymmetrical rough armors and helmets on screen), then you need build of the armor to fit the actors much better (maybe even for their protection), the same with the props etc. It wouldn't be right for present time to re-use the OT sculpt directly without any improvements. I love the OT TK, but it is not fit for this time and age of film-making.

• Like 2

Funny, for me it´s straight the other direction. TFA trailers didn´t impress me in any way, and it was only good enough for me to see it one time in the cinema (i will still buy the 3D BR for my cinema, but probably only when it´s on sale).

But the Rogue trailer makes me think "there is still hope".

And no more hungry ballerinas in plastic is no bad start. 

Yeah me too.

I honestly didn't expect to see anything close to the original troopers that we know

Yeah me too.

I honestly didn't expect to see anything close to the original troopers that we know

These images leaked some time ago ;)

Star-Wars-Rogue-One-Stormtrooper-set-4-m

Weird slanted side split

kcspress-0522812-0002.jpeg

Seems Stormtroopers lay around a lot

rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-photos-017-4

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 3

I´m guessing many here never have been on service?

The equipment isn´t even given to all soldiers in a small national army at the same time. We (airborne) got some stuff that other units (mostly no combat, transport and such) were still waiting for 3-5 years later, sometimes for testing, sometimes just for daily use.

I can´t even estimate the time the same thing would take in a military spread over hundredthousands of lightyears and thousand to millions of worlds. Different armor is nothing i would consider unrealistic.

• Like 2

So ironic that fans here can complain about the films and costumes that inspired these forums in the first place...

The variations and design tweaks are interesting on the TKs. Noticed too that the shoulder straps feed back in through the back plates that have recesses a little like fett 's harness rig.

There has to be 501st members who have had a say or involvement in the design/building/creation of these new stormtrooper suits. Just makes sense for film makers of 'Star Wars' to utilise some of the expert and detailed work some of you do. 

My question is how come we are all still fighting about it? Can't someone here just come out with the truth? I understand confidentiality laws and contracts...but Im sure we could at least get a 'YES'...they were for mobility etc...or 'NO' blah blah blah.....without actually giving any spoilers. 

Same thing I wondered for when the TFA trailers came out. Someone or more on here would have had a part in it. 

Or does Lucasfilm do everything in house?

There has to be 501st members who have had a say or involvement in the design/building/creation of these new stormtrooper suits. Just makes sense for film makers of 'Star Wars' to utilise some of the expert and detailed work some of you do. 

My question is how come we are all still fighting about it? Can't someone here just come out with the truth? I understand confidentiality laws and contracts...but Im sure we could at least get a 'YES'...they were for mobility etc...or 'NO' blah blah blah.....without actually giving any spoilers. 

Same thing I wondered for when the TFA trailers came out. Someone or more on here would have had a part in it. 

Or does Lucasfilm do everything in house?

Even if anybody here was consulted I doubt the general forums would get any info. NDAs are mighty tools, and it's not like Disney doesn't have an armada of lawyers on-hand or anything.

This probably has to do with the general beefiness of the average extra. Back in the 70s thin was very much in, and there wasn't a lot of weightlifting and bodybuilding outside weightlifting and bodybuilding circles. Big guys like Clint Eastwood were big, but not ripped the way you see actors today. Bulk and muscle are much more a part of the modern cinema male physique. I remember watching Jason and the Argonauts with my kids (granted that was filmed in 63) and thinking "Wow, this dude who is supposed to be the main hero is positively scrawny." (Much like myself, actually). Today if the filmed it the dude would be huge. Don't even get me started on Hercules.

I can't speak to the military--the actual military--of then and now, but guys now are generally bigger than the photos you see of soldiers in Vietnam. Not that there weren't big guys then, but weight training, like everything else, is easier to do now for most, so many many more guys do it. 

THis is all me talking out my posterior, but I've noticed the same thing in the troopers of then and now.

Two thoughts. The "Long lanky" look was for British acting extras c1976. Loads of these R1 extras are current duty British Army/Air Service (and probably a LOT more fit/built).

Re: The belt- they probably did that because with the higher definition film today the canvas will look totally different from the rest of the armour- something that couldn't be said of the OT since people were adrift as to what the material

was for quite a long time until the higher res versions were released.

This way the belt looks to be all part of one unit rather than a cheap fabric thing added on after the fact. (don't get me wrong, I love the OT kit, but I'm speaking from a costuming/visual design standpoint).

:smiley-sw013:

Oh, I'm well aware of this. All I'm saying though is if they couldn't remake the exact OT armor, than at the very least give us lanky troopers. Whether you like it or not, lankiness is a traditional trait of the OT trooper. Doesn't make sense to do out of nowhere bulky troopers now, yet we never see a single bulky trooper in episodes 4, 5, 6. Some consistency would have been nice. Heck, I'm sure there would have been quite a lot of 501st members who have a lanky look would have loved to volunteer to be in this movie.

Only one time ever did they introduce the idea of a bulky Imperial Stormtrooper and it was the 'Power of the Force' action figure in the 90's. People hated it since it was strange and did not resemble the film trooper look at all. Never again did we see a bulkier representation of the Stormtrooper... perhaps that may now all change when the Rogue One action figures come out.

The-Power-Of-The-Force-2-Stormtrooper-Cr

Then again, if we had bulky Stormtroopers in episode 6 then maybe they would have never had lost to a bunch of teddy bears so easily :lol:

Anyways, regarding canvas belt... I don't buy that idea. "Oh, people have watched the OT in HD and realize that a Stormtrooper belt is half canvas. No, that simply must not do. Let's recreate this by making it plastic on both sides. That surely won't look dumb."

Are they going to next change the pouches on the Scout Trooper from canvas material to plastic too? People have seen the OT in HD now and are fine with the canvas belt (I think it looks great!), heck they are even more exposed to it after playing hours upon hours of a Stormtrooper in third person in Battlefront. I'm sure if Disney/EA were worried that the canvas would be "cheap looking" than they would have already given the plastic belt in the Battlefront game. Personally, I think there might be a different reason to why these changes were made to the armor and it would be real nice if they somehow made reference to it in the movie.

Edited by BlazeNova

These images leaked some time ago ;)

Star-Wars-Rogue-One-Stormtrooper-set-4-m

Weird slanted side split

kcspress-0522812-0002.jpeg

Seems Stormtroopers lay around a lot

rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-photos-017-4

Not sure if its the resolution not picking them up but in the top 2 pics there is a trooper in each that you can see the ab plate, neither if them seem to have ab buttons...

that's no moon, Kim Kardashian is bending over again...

All I'm saying though is if they couldn't remake the exact OT armor, than at the very least give us lanky troopers. Whether you like it or not, lankiness is a traditional trait of the OT trooper.

Most of the troopers in ANH were quite short, actually. Of all the trooper actors from ANH that I have met (and those I have not but others have met) are maybe 5'8" or less. I know they have shrunk over the years but really look closely when watching ANH and armour on the actors is not stretched out - unlike on Harrison Ford who was 6' tall in his prime.

• Like 1