ROGUE ONE TRAILER - IMPERIAL STORMTROOPERS!

Redforce

However, owners of old eFX helmets must be really happy right now...

LOL. I thought the same. Some even looked like rubies. Soon, you will be able to join with just about anything.

I think there's some prejudice leaking through here from some 'purists'

Technology moves on a lot in 40yrs and change is inevitable...

Should they also use the dodgy looking (these days) special effects they used in ANH just for the sake of nostalgia?

that's no moon, Kim Kardashian is bending over again...

• Like 4

This armor was probably 3D printed, so it won't look exactly like the stuff made from ANH.  It also, much like TFA armor, was made with the ability to move in mind.  It will allow the stormtroopers to actually look and move like soldiers (they used British Army soldiers as the stormtrooper extras).  This is a good thing as we can see stormtroopers actually looking and moving how they should as opposed to the quasi hunched over and hurried walk they had to do in the original trilogy.  Also, much like the military of today, armor would be constantly updated by the Imperial Military Industrial Complex, and then fielded in waves to different units.  So you would have new armor to units some units, and older versions to other units.  Nothing wrong with this and it makes sense.  Getting wrapped around the edges because the helmet isn't "domed enought" or there are plastic belts instead of canvas is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  Rogue One will usher in a new love of TKs with new generations of fans.  That is what we should be excited about, not that it all doesn't look like RS kits!

• Like 7

As for any differences, I'm sure most fans won't notice the minor stuff, and they could probably be explained away somehow. The scale of the empire was gigantic, perhaps they had multiple contractors cranking out armor or something. ;)

Exactly my thought! We don't see any of the other troopers in the other movies, why can't the TKs on whatever planet this is, be slightly different?

In the end, I don't feel like the TKs are 'supposed' to be any different than the TKs in ANH. Sure WE pick out the differences, just like we pick out the number of rivets there are and where. I think these were made for action sequences in a movie (removal of the holster, more movement due to the ab section being broken up, thighs cut short etc...), but they were supposed to be real, honest to goodness, ANH TKs.

Do we want to look like a Stormtroopers? Or do we want to look like low paid movie extras wearing a costume? We'll make a new CRL for these, sure, but we shouldn't nitpick the costume too much. 

Edited by netslave
  • Like 5

Exactly my thought! We don't see any of the other troopers in the other movies, why can't the TKs on whatever planet this is, be slightly different?

In the end, I don't feel like the TKs are 'supposed' to be any different than the TKs in ANH. Sure WE pick out the differences, just like we pick out the number of rivets there are and where. I think these were made for action sequences in a movie (removal of the holster, more movement due to the ad section being broken up, thighs cut short etc...), but they were supposed to be real, honest to goodness, ANH TKs.

Do we want to look like a Stormtroopers? Or do we want to look like low paid movie extras wearing a costume? We'll make a new CRL for these, sure, but we shouldn't nitpick the costume too much.

Well said. :)

I have to agree with the above from netslave. On basically all of it, but especially that I think these are solely action scene suits. In the originals the most movement we really got in ANH was some "falling" (or laying down with style ), and some walking and easy jogging. In this it seems we're getting a lot more running, bending , flexing , twisting and stuntman work. So for that I think it makes sense. Do they look fantastic? No, but they look good besides the mobility splits imo. I still think we'll see fully kitted TKs with appropriate armor and I don't know about the rest of you out there, but I'm PSYCHED for that desert tank trooper thing lol those guys look sick! That was just my 2 cents :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

... and I don't know about the rest of you out there, but I'm PSYCHED for that desert tank trooper thing lol those guys look sick! That was just my 2 cents :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

The new tanker crew DOES look sick! I'm really torn between them, the Death Troopers, and the new Brown-job scout-looking guys. (The less said about my desire to do season 6 Commander Wolffe in his Hazardous Environs suit, the better LOL )

Edited by BadBatch
  • Like 2

I didn't really think they looked bad. I don't think they looked like stuff eBay... <br>

I was shocked at some of the key differences in the armor though. The shoulder strap holder on the back plate is really wierd, the big trapezoid boxes to hold the shoulder straps??? I can understand some of the design choices, these suits were not made for guys to just stand around in, these are for running, jumping, flipping around, getting beat up. For the most part though, I think they are getting it right. And I would rather have a new movie, with some armor that does not match the OT all the way, than nothing new at all.

All I can say is I feel sorry for the Officers that write the CRL's with all these new canon characters and variations. 

Just when you thing TFA troopers are the new standard... BAM! OT TK's are back!

These suits look like they were made to be rugged.  Much more expansion areas built in.  If I got blowed up in my Anovos kit I'd be laying next to the crater naked.

See those TK's running?  That scene would look so different in Anovos kits.  Parts flinging off.  Blood squirting out.  Troopers limping and tripping.

Gotta hand it to these guys.  They made armor you can move in and it still looks damn good.

Can't wait to see this movie.

:laugh1:

I'm not even done putting together my Anovos kit yet, I'll try to avoid getting blowed up once I do.

So when is Anovos announcing a replica of this new more nimble armor? If it's designed with movement in mind then I'm in for a set for sure.

Then you can have your Sunday finest parade standing around armor, and the "hey I can sit down or run a marathon or make a fan movie" armor. B)

Edited by MostlyHarmless
  • Like 1

This has probably already been mentioned by one of you eagle eyed troopers, but looks like no secrets holding the ears on, and what's with the rivet holding the thigh ammo pack on . It's in the thig he about an inch or so above the ridge where the OT TK is mounted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For those of you who have positive comments and are accepting of the redesigned OT TKs, and even like them, kudos; carry on.

For the rest of you complaining, good grief! Get off your high horse.

These new suits are clearly meant to be the same Stormtroopers as the OT ones (which were undoubtedly meant to all be identical, regardless of the differences), and the idealized design changes and mobility additions are definitely for the better! These Stormtroopers look like they belong to the Imperial military machine, with combat in mind, and not some hand-made ragtag bunch of extras in plastic suits attempting to play "space man." Military organizations equip their troops with machine-made, CAD-designed, rugged and mobile equipment, not lumpy, asymmetrical, lopsided garbage.
At least they aren't a complete departure from the recognizable design (like the TFA troopers are), and actually resemble a standard Imperial stormtrooper. As some of you have pointed out, 99% of the population won't care about differences in a belt, rivets, screws, colors, materials, or whatever other trivial and insignificant differences there are between these suits and the ANH suits.
I've worn my TK armor once, for a Halloween party. It sucked. It was hot, uncomfortable, and I could even sit down or bend over/squat to pick something up. Most of you guys (and gals) wear these things for hours on end, and I've seen how many of you complain about how uncomfortable it is, or how you can't hardly move or sit in the armor, etc. I feel your pain to a lesser extent, and I for one welcome the design changes that make the armor more practical, comfortable, and more professional looking, while still (for all intents and purposes) appearing like the Imperial Stormtroopers we all know and love! You all should embrace the improvements too!

Once better references are available, I will be making modifications to my armor post haste!

• Like 10

For those of you who have positive comments and are accepting of the redesigned OT TKs, and even like them, kudos; carry on.

These new suits are clearly meant to be the same Stormtroopers as the OT ones (which were undoubtedly meant to all be identical, regardless of the differences), and the idealized design changes and mobility additions are definitely for the better! These Stormtroopers look like they belong to the Imperial military machine, with combat in mind, and not some hand-made ragtag bunch of extras in plastic suits attempting to play "space man." Military organizations equip their troops with machine-made, CAD-designed, rugged and mobile equipment, not lumpy, asymmetrical, lopsided garbage.

At least they aren't a complete departure from the recognizable design (like the TFA troopers are), and actually resemble a standard Imperial stormtrooper. As some of you have pointed out, 99% of the population won't care about differences in a belt, rivets, screws, colors, materials, or whatever other trivial and insignificant differences there are between these suits and the ANH suits.

I've worn my TK armor once, for a Halloween party. It sucked. It was hot, uncomfortable, and I could even sit down or bend over/squat to pick something up. Most of you guys (and gals) wear these things for hours on end, and I've seen how many of you complain about how uncomfortable it is, or how you can't hardly move or sit in the armor, etc. I feel your pain to a lesser extent, and I for one welcome the design changes that make the armor more practical, comfortable, and more professional looking, while still (for all intents and purposes) appearing like the Imperial Stormtroopers we all know and love! You all should embrace the improvements too!

Once better references are available, I will be making modifications to my armor post haste!

I don't have a high horse i have a hihg AT-AT and it is very hard to get dowm from it.

My trooper is NOT uncomfortable, yes it is hot but every costume is hot and the real trooper have air con inside.

So have fun at yout Halloween party

• Like 1

I must say I was't interested in any spinoffs from A galaxy far, far away....

However this trailer has changed my opinion on that, well at least for Rouge One. This trailer has me excited for the release, it looks very promising. It has that nostalgia feel to it, I feel like I'm 7 years old again.

• Like 1

Moving away from the Stormtrooper design, anybody else curious to see what the AT-AT driver is wearing ?

Always loved the Helmet from ESB, but then I always loved the OT Tie Pilot helmet :)

I sure am curious to find out more about the AT-AT's and their crew.  I also want to see some hot TIE on X-Wing action too lol.

and find out more about the Trooper on that hover tank. I wonder if hes Imperial Army.

I don't appreciate your belittling of the original suits, nor labeling everybody who has issues with this new interpretation of the OT trooper as needing to get off their high horses. We are a club that prides itself in attention to detail, of course these new suits are going to get scrutinized and criticized! What 99% of the public sees doesn't really matter, they also wouldn't see the difference between a Ruby and a TM, whereas that would be day and night to many of us in the legion.

Some of the changes in the new suits are obviously for the better, to allow someone to move more comfortably in armor and maybe even sit in them (hurray!). However, some design choices make the armor uglier in my opinion, like the sleeker chest and back plate, the huge black band of elastic between the back and chestplate or the weird positioning and form of the thigh ammo pack. 

Good luck in your endeavor to modify your current armor to look like this one, from the looks of it you would practically need to modify every single part of the armour in a major way. 

On another note: although I'm not really sold on the new TK look, I am sold on Rogue One. This is gonna be awesome! And my next armor project is the new Death Trooper for sure. Man, they look badass! 

Edited by VulpX
  • Like 2

OK everyone, CALM DOWN. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and others don't have to be wrong for you to be right. I'm not a fan of ROTJ suits but some people are, and I can still appreciate the craft and artistry when someone does a really well done ROTJ TK. Not right for me, but I didn't create this place to be a den of snobs.

I too would wish the suits looked more ANH in composition and confess that I'm disappointed that they are not the same. Then again, at least they got the helmet right and that is pretty much what 90% of the world will notice, e.g. they look like OT TKs. How many of you when you first saw ESB before the Internet even realized the TK's were different? Probably not a one, just like we knew the helmet was different in ROTJ but were too busy watching the bad acting to care.

What is more disappointing to me is how the TK's look like hapless goofs. A whole squad with blasters getting their asses kicked by some dude with a stick? At least in TFA it took strafing runs of the best X-Wing pilots the Resistance had to take them down.

I like that the movie looks "Star Wars", but I'm afraid the story line looks weak. I'll see it like everyone else, but from the trailer at least it does not look to be as good as TFA.

• Like 10

In a totally ego-driven post, I have a picture of me in my TD looking nearly identical to this guy

Sandtrooper_2.jpg

At the Rose Parade

8020sandy.jpg

• Like 10

Only one class has a right to an opinion, and that would be the class that you agree with ?

A whole lot of changes on the kit. And in my eyes, they were made for mobility. Like it was said, this is a war movie. These guys are going to be running around, kneeling, and getting blown up. You see the cuts that were made in order to allow this mobility. Bottom of the thigh pieces are curved and the actual thigh pieces open on back. And the 3 inch elastic connecting the chest and back pieces. 

We also see the raised notches on the top of the back piece used to house the shoulder bridges. ANH were free floating and used the elastic to hold them down. They would be flopping around if they did half the things they were doing in this trailer.