Haribon72’s First Order Stormtrooper (Jakku Chase Scene) – Large Trooper Build

I'll be sharing a lot on shim work.    My diet isn't going very well.    On with the show!

Working on the inside ab plate (before putting on the side shim work).   Marking the center point for each box and then drilling the holes using a Unibit.

SAM_1959_zpshjqxwxjc.jpg

SAM_1960_zpshc8lhr9v.jpg

SAM_1962_zpsnkswhaam.jpg

SAM_1963_zpstatsb825.jpg

SAM_1964_zpst2p2c2xb.jpg

SAM_1965_zpsrll56xpv.jpg

SAM_1966_zps0vglpu4o.jpg

SAM_1967_zpstd28hjhu.jpg

SAM_1968_zpsxkovbrid.jpg

Edited by Haribon72
  • Like 1

Reinforcing the area as instructed by Tony and Alpha troopers.

SAM_1969_zpsimuw3rsq.jpg

SAM_1975_zpsf81h8x4d.jpg

SAM_1977_zpsnn5tjvgf.jpg

Sloopy reinforcement work.    I had to rush because we have guests for next couple evenings.   Need to clean up shop and house.   I'll be back Thursday everyone!  

• Like 1

I can picture you saying you have to go to the bathroom and secretly working on your build in there until your wife tells you everyone is starting to worry. lol

• Like 3

Looks great. Need that adobo shirt pare.

Hahahha!  My wife got the shirt at the San Francisco Pistahan event last year.   I'll let you know if the vendor is selling again this year in August!

• Like 1

I can picture you saying you have to go to the bathroom and secretly working on your build in there until your wife tells you everyone is starting to worry. lol

Here are the bathroom pictures!  hahahhaha!!!

SAM_2019_zpsm0fqtwqa.jpg

• Like 1

ABS Boxes

Using the information provided by Brian (SolderMaster).   I will be using two types of sandpaper.

First, 3M BlasterPro P120 325U (available at Lowes) - used as a rough sanding to get the edges started.

Second, 3M WetorDry TRI-M-ITE  413Q  400 CES (avaliable at Home Depot) - used to smooth out boxes and bring out the sharp edges.

SAM_2027_zpsuvdbv7uo.jpg

SAM_2029_zpswrw0psgn.jpg

After a couple hours of sanding.....sanding...and more sanding...... I can see why this is going to be an OCD moment.     No matter how hard you try to get the "perfect sharp edges", some of my plastic boxes did not have enough plastic meat.    In this picture, i'm getting near the "paper thin" point.

SAM_2040_zpszdn5dfli.jpg

And in some cases... I already got to the breaking point.   No worries, I will reinforce it with ABS cement.

SAM_2060_zpsuyvnbspo.jpg

Edited by Haribon72

Definitely looking good, Walter! I do wish I'd have sanded my boxes down, but they were paper thin to begin with. :) Keep up the amazing and impressive work!!

• Like 1

Took me about three hours (including the OCD moments) to finish up.  And that's just the sharp edges attempt.    Let me know what you think.    

Yes, some of it is not 100% super super sharp, but hey.... we're working with plastic formed boxes with smooth edges.  Hopefully, its already at a level 3 achievement.

SAM_2068_zpsh6hpy1vo.jpg

Some of the lighting is drowning out my sharp edges.

SAM_2069_zpsclahbpyg.jpg

• Like 3

Insert the bolt through the ab plate hole, apply ABS cement, and then carefully set the box.    I waited a few then placed the box in a holding box to set overnight.

SAM_2074_zpso8inmagt.jpg

SAM_2079_zpszi2m17jm.jpg

SAM_2081_zpsj1hdoww0.jpg

SAM_2082_zpsu7yun2nu.jpg

SAM_2084_zpsrny2qi2b.jpgSAM_2083_zpsbykevubc.jpg

Box # 5 was the challenging one.   

Edited by Haribon72

Installing the New Shins to the Abs Plate

If you're wondering what's up with the blue tape, I will explain later.   For now, here are the pictures of the new shins - all cured and ready for assembly.

SAM_2087_zps1omc6mqg.jpg

SAM_2088_zpsin0m7ve5.jpg

SAM_2089_zps39sa0vm9.jpg

Clamping it down.    I used Weld-On ABS cement as my adhesive to secure the new shins.  We will be using Apoxy Sculpt later to cover of the seam lines.

SAM_2090_zpslnm37ipw.jpg

SAM_2093_zps5fnwekrh.jpg

SAM_2091_zpsgg9bymwo.jpg

Why the blue tape on the ab plate?

I will be filling in the gaps to my boxes by using Apoxy Sculpt (AS).   I will let it cure over night.   The next day, I will remove each box and sand it down to a perfect fit.

I didn't want the (AS) to harden into the ab plate.  Any suggestions, please let me now.    I'm aware we need to have seam lines to each box for accuracy.  

SAM_2094_zpskjwkveks.jpg

Edited by Haribon72

Dude, those boxes look on point. All that from the comfort of your bathroom lol. I was thinking of using plastic welder on the edges and then sanding them down but don't want to make a mess. Might just add some underneath to reinforce it.

Looks awesome, Walt.

• Like 1

Definitely looking good, Walter! I do wish I'd have sanded my boxes down, but they were paper thin to begin with. :) Keep up the amazing and impressive work!!

Thank you Tim!   Yes, they were paper thin at many points.  Its impossible to get sharp edges perfect.    I just hope our deployment officer will "not" be super strict on those sharp edges!     :D

Otherwise, i'm heading over to Home Depot and making some "wooden" boxes!

img_6706.jpg

Dude, those boxes look on point. All that from the comfort of your bathroom lol. I was thinking of using plastic welder on the edges and then sanding them down but don't want to make a mess. Might just add some underneath to reinforce it.

Looks awesome, Walt.

Oh man... the emperor wife was displeased with my bathroom time.   HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAH!!!   Thanks Rick!    Can't wait to see your boxes bro... and remember do it in the bathroom!

Edited by Haribon72

• 4 weeks later...

The month of June has been busy with birthdays, graduations, and family gatherings.   Not to mention the new "honey-to-do" list for the summer.    I was able to sneak a few days of work this month.  Let's continue where we left off. 

Boxes # 1 and # 7 Update

Since i'm adding shims to my armor, I discovered that Boxes # 1 and # 7 will not have the best fit because of the shims.    I will be working more apoxie sculpt into Boxes # 1 and # 7 to give it a clean look and they will be permanently attached.    Please note I will be creating seam lines using some clay tools that I picked up from Amazon.    This step will be shared later in the build.  

SAM_2646_zpsnenjcmqv.jpg

Side angle look of the box at the shim area.   This will get apoxy sculpt down to the armor.

SAM_2649_zpsw3u5fo3q.jpg

SAM_2650_zpskzwcwgzn.jpg

• Like 1

Inside look of the bolt and nut assembly.

SAM_2651_zpsimfwgb2x.jpg

Hacking off the unwanted thread portion of the bolts.  I went back and sanded it down with a sander.

IMG_8499_zpsepenu9um.jpg

• Like 1

Apoxie Sculpt Demonstration

Since 2014, I have been using Apoxie Sculpt as my favorite filler.    Its safe to use indoors and non-toxic compound to work with.    Unlike bondo, you have about two hours to work it before it turns into a rock.   

Please be sure to read the manufacturer's directions and practice with it before using on your armor.    There are lots of other methods to fill in the shim gaps or any gaps, but this is just a personal preference.

SAM_2669_zpss1ep7xyd.jpg

SAM_2670_zpsprpm9gh4.jpg

SAM_2671_zpstwb851s6.jpg

SAM_2672_zpsj7znqsxj.jpg

SAM_2673_zpssjrxxvam.jpg

SAM_2674_zpsfb6pjwpf.jpg

SAM_2675_zpsokba91e2.jpg

SAM_2676_zpshvnvygww.jpg

SAM_2677_zpsjfwn1r3m.jpg

Be sure to work the compound for about 15 minutes before applying to your armor.   You're going to ensure the 50/50 putty is properly mixed.

SAM_2678_zpssamyxenl.jpg

I use a spray bottle of faucet water to moisten it up and give me toothpaste like compound.

SAM_2680_zpsbpcw7cjm.jpg

SAM_2682_zpscvol8bql.jpg

Here's a trick.   I'm using an old cheese spreader to apply AS into the shim gaps.     Go slow and work it into the gaps.   Don't rush.  Take your time.

SAM_2683_zpshjxbzlru.jpg

Once you're done, let it hang out overnight.   In this case, I left it alone for couple days.

Washing your tools:  I just used warm water, dishwashing soap, and an old dish scrubber.

Edited by Haribon72
  • Like 1