What in the world have I got?

Strap yourselves in and hold on to your hats because you're about to hear the story of a true idiot.<br>

Before I came to FISD I bought a Rubies and thought it was pure dope. After a while some of the parts got severely damaged from first-time heat gun fixes and I bought spare parts from Jedirobe. In hindsight, doing that was like trying to clean ketchup off of my white shirt by using mustard. So now I have this sick, quasi-frankentrooper mess. I can't stand to even look at it after FISD removed the veil from my eyes and showed me the truth.<br><br>

Hey, but that's not all folks; now it appears I have a recast that's thin styrene...long story that began with a litany. I was ignorant again. <br><br>

Here's a condensed version of my query.<br><br>

As I compared all parts to my Anovos parts they were completely identical? I haven't understood the Anovos lineage, but I find that these parts are a "carbon copy" of Anovos. It just confuses me.

Edited by meekerscott

:blink: I used to really hate the Rubies TK armor. But you can be famous from it. Look what "hip hop" trooper did to a Rubies. With a little customization from spray paint you end up with over 77,000 instagram followers and featured appearances at comic conventions. 

hht%207.jpg

• Like 1

Here's what I have, but later I want to show how every single piece lines up perefctly as a match with Anovos.

SO when I say "what have I got?" I'm wondering about both sets. It's clear that the pics posted below are recast, and I'm told from an RS Props suit.

If it is an exact carbon copy to Anovos, then is ANovos a recast of RS Props? I don't know if I understand the recasting method and definitions, but I'm catching on. I understand there is an amount that is permissable and one that is shunned.

The llnes begin to blur though, now that I have the Anovos. It all makes me want to save up for an actual RS Props or a TM, made with ABS.

BGksgzs.jpg

p1gumSP.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

Yep, I'm pretty sure it is. It's definitely not ABS or PVC. I gave it a smell test by burning some scrap with a Dremel and it's definitely styrene. I just don't know if it's HIPS or not, kind of hoping its HIPS becasue any other styrene is going to be brittle overall.

It looks a lot like this:

http://chucrew.com/tk/tk.htm

RS props is where I'm gonna end up. I keep looking at TM as well, but RS Props will pull me in. having a "copy" makes me want an original even more.

I'm sure I'll sell current gear and maybe a few of my Les Pauls to swing it. I'm dead set on building a Sandtrooper and finishing my Vader as well.

Money, money, money.

While Anovos and RS seem very similar, keep in mind there's some lineage.

RS is straight up as legit as you can get, as they cast most of the pieces from an original Sandtrooper suit. Missing pieces were substituted or made.

Anovos claims they had access to an original suit from Lucasfilm. No one seems to be clear. But they did show they had CNC aluminum molds made. Which makes me think they 3D scanned an original from the archives suit or as some might say, they scanned an RS props suit. Some say the details are too close and that there are tells there are RS parts.

Either way, Anovos ended up with a 3D model that likely needed adjustment in 3D before it was milled out for forming.

Unless someone worked really fast in recasting an Anovos suit (possible) it's likely this is a recast of RS.

Where did you get it from and who was the seller? Ebay?

• Like 1

While Anovos and RS seem very similar, keep in mind there's some lineage.

RS is straight up as legit as you can get, as they cast most of the pieces from an original Sandtrooper suit. Missing pieces were substituted or made.

Anovos claims they had access to an original suit from Lucasfilm. No one seems to be clear. But they did show they had CNC aluminum molds made. Which makes me think they 3D scanned an original from the archives suit or as some might say, they scanned an RS props suit. Some say the details are too close and that there are tells there are RS parts.

Either way, Anovos ended up with a 3D model that likely needed adjustment in 3D before it was milled out for forming.

Unless someone worked really fast in recasting an Anovos suit (possible) it's likely this is a recast of RS.

Where did you get it from and who was the seller? Ebay?

Thanks, that's a really good explanation. Now I'm dead-set on an RS.

There is absolutely no doubt that Anovos is cast from an RS. Anovos hand plates are EXACTLY the same as mine that I gave RS to cast as are the button plates, shoulder straps and knee plate. And if that isn't enough evidence, how in the world would Anovos have the EXACT same hand sculpted forearm and bicep that Rob from RS made on their armour?

We all know they cast it but no one wants to accept it.

• Like 7

There is absolutely no doubt that Anovos is cast from an RS. Anovos hand plates are EXACTLY the same as mine that I gave RS to cast as are the button plates, shoulder straps and knee plate. And if that isn't enough evidence, how in the world would Anovos have the EXACT same hand sculpted forearm and bicep that Rob from RS made on their armour?

Would also explain why they don't know how to put it together in their instructions lol...

that's no moon, Kim Kardashian is bending over again...

Thanks for sharing your insights, Paul. I know parts were subbed in on the RS suit but I don't recall which ones.

A handful of our local garrison recruits purchased Anovos suits. Many have complained about the short shoulder armor bridges. I've never seen your armor in person, but are the shoulder straps supposed to be as short as Anovos has them?

I totally accept it. I think I have the proof.

Interesting. It seems almost like this is a non-consensual form of "payment" that RS must make in order to not be litigated for making unlicensed armor commercially available. Anovos (license holder) dastardly recasts the RS armor and LFL/Disney look the other way...

I am currently researching what armor I should get. I had Anovos high up on my list of considerations, mainly because it was one of the first ones I came across - being commercially available and all - and because it is affordable, there are lots of good tutorials on how to assemble it, and it looks pretty good. In light of this plagiarism, should I drop Anovos from my consideration? Anovos wasn't on the list of vetted sellers, but it also wasn't on the avoid list, so I'm just wondering how the community (especially other armor makers) feels about all this? I'm willing to do the right thing, even if it takes a bit longer to get my armor.

What I don't understand is why Anovos is considered to be evil because they have copied a RS suit, but it is perfectly fine for RS to copy an original film suit. So they can be considerd as recasters too. RS is also making money on the Star Wars brand without having a license. But apparently copying from LFL/Disney is ok. Is it illegal for Anovos to copy a design on which they own the license? I agree that if some makes his own sculpt and someone else just copies it, it's just wrong. But in this case RS is just as guilty as Anovos in my opinion.

Edited by ScaryGuy
  • Like 1

It doesn´t matter if anyone accepts it, it´s completely OK.

If you think different, go and chat with Disney regarding your thoughts and wishes.

Nonetheless funny, thinking how many selfcalled experts first were debating how good old RS is, and how ugly and inferior the new Anovos.

Interesting. It seems almost like this is a non-consensual form of "payment" that RS must make in order to not be litigated for making unlicensed armor commercially available. Anovos (license holder) dastardly recasts the RS armor and LFL/Disney look the other way...

I am currently researching what armor I should get. I had Anovos high up on my list of considerations, mainly because it was one of the first ones I came across - being commercially available and all - and because it is affordable, there are lots of good tutorials on how to assemble it, and it looks pretty good. In light of this plagiarism, should I drop Anovos from my consideration? Anovos wasn't on the list of vetted sellers, but it also wasn't on the avoid list, so I'm just wondering how the community (especially other armor makers) feels about all this? I'm willing to do the right thing, even if it takes a bit longer to get my armor.

You can get a lot of different answers on that, depending on who answers.

First you should decide which look you like better, as you will have to look at it for some time and it´s your money, this should be your major consideration.

Going the line that both armors are basically the same in size and shape - RS has a surface like the cheap and fast made armors on set, wartsy and bumpy (some like this), Anovos has made some "adjustments", while still wonky as the original suits the surface has be smoothed to be nice and shiny (other like that).

Then RS is quite some time making armor and in that time many people have bought it - a lot of times such makes people feeling toward their armor maker (same with other makers), so their answers are mostly biased toward what they have.

Regarding your concerns about plagiarism - RS makes not allowed copies of a Lfl suit that never should be made, they only can due to a loophole in UK laws. Anovos might have used RS and maybe other sources to generate their suit, due to the sanitation and shaping work it is not the one to one copy as RS tried to generate from the original suit, and they have the license and are allowed to use the Lfl made stuff (which would include the suit RS used, if it wouldn´t have disappeared at Lfl and re-appeared in RS hands).

For me RS has not made any design work (direct copy of a Lfl), they have not sculpted their own armor like other makers did, they have no license. So ... there is no reason they "deserve" any protection.