Christina's Troopmaster 1.5mm ABS ANH Hero TK Build [TM]

I just finished my first ANH Stunt TK build last month and submitted it for approval on March 9th and on March 11th was approved. I've been out on 2 troops with the Canadian Garrison so far and its been an incredible experience. But while I was building that first TK I decided I really wanted a second TK. My first TK is a hybrid of used and new armour. I purchased a completed set of AM armour mostly because I was intimated by the building from scratch idea. The AM set needed to be heavily modified to fit me as the original owner is about a foot shorter than me. So that meant new helmet, thighs, belt, chest, back, biceps and shoulders as well as replacing all the strapping and padding to fit me. As I modified and rebuilt that kit I gained the confidence to tackle a brand new build from scratch and really wanted to have a fresh kit to build all my own; my way.

So what kit should I get next? I searched around and consider another AM set as well as AP and RS but the one that really caught my eye was TM. The screen accuracy of his build is beautiful and everyone on the forum that has his kit loves them. I reached out to Troopmaster, otherwise know as Paul on Jan 28th and after a series of questions and discussions I was sold on Troopmaster as my next armor.

Next I had to choose from the two versions of ABS kits that he offers; 1.5mm ABS and 2mm acrylic capped ABS. Below is Paul's description of the 2 versions:

The 1.5mm is standard gloss ABS is the same ABS used for the movie suits. It is lightweight, flexible, with a nice gloss finish and a slight ivory white colour.

The 2mm has an acrylic capping that makes it extremely glossy. It also makes it a lot more rigid which gives a hard armour feel that some people like. This has a brighter white colour to it.

Please note: If you want to build a screen accurate suit with the strapping brackets then you want the 1.5mm gloss ABS. If you want to build a basic suit to look good for the public and like the snap strapping system, go for the 2mm. Snap strapping can also be used in the 1.5mm but I would avoid using the brackets on the 2mm.

I loved the look of the slightly ivory white colour of the 1.5mm and really wanted to to build my next kit with the original wire strapping system so my decision was easily made for me. Paul also is one of the few builders who offers both the Stunt TK and the Hero TK as options. I love the look of the hero build and the hero TK also can carry the grappling set with commlink instead of the thermal detonator so those were the selling points on why I choose the Hero kit. 

I ordered and paid for a 1.5mm ABS ANH Hero TK from Paul on Feb 3. Paul's kits come with all the ABS body armour and helmet parts plus all the bits to build the helmet (lens, mic tips, rubber trims, rivets, screws - no decals), ABS joining strips and a grey detonator tube with metal belt clips. As well Paul also offers XL shins for taller people and most of his armor parts are longer the majority of the other kits available and being 6'2" this was a definite bonus for me! Paul offers original strapping bracket kits, these have everything you need to strap the armor like the originals in 1977 but I had already bought the Mr. Nostripes wire strapping set.  Another option TM offers a full build option that includes a canvas belt, leather holster and rubber gloves. He does this using your body measurements for a guaranteed fit. But for me I wanted to build this kit myself so declined the full build but did take him up on building the Hero helmet for me. I've seen photos of his builds and his hand painted details are beautiful. So my TM Hero TK was ordered and now to wait! 

Thankfully it wasn't that long of a wait 2 months and a day from order to delivery, it felt way longer than it actually was and I've heard of people waiting 6 months to a year for a kit. March 30th Paul contact me that my kit was build and shipped out. April 4th FedEx called me that my package was ready to be picked up! 

So here is the necessary BBB photo when I got it home. I was worried that the box was a little mangled the top left side had been pushed in a lot and for a box marked fragile it certainly saw some wear! 

20160404_201205_zpsqqqkc6j7.jpg

The contents were safely wrapped and thankfully all undamaged! Here is the entire kit in 4 bundles including a finished helmet inside there! 

20160404_201810_zpsgr27yoqq.jpg

The unwrapping and layout of entire kit.

20160404_204047_zpsdhy6n4fc.jpg

20160404_204117_zps75cwdfxy.jpg

20160404_204153_zpsn5jlvsvj.jpg

20160404_204330_zpsslnk98m0.jpg

20160404_204339_zpsafrznd3e.jpg

20160404_204345_zpske1vkigo.jpg

20160404_204354_zpsjbzc7hfr.jpg

20160404_204401_zpsl3w6gzbc.jpg

20160404_204407_zps4ckbo0k6.jpg

20160404_205422_zpslm6ffdot.jpg

Well there it is...more to follow soon! I'll be regularly posting the build of this kit over the next 2 months. I'll get some good shots of the hero helmet up soon. 

Christina, TK 21421

Edited by TKZombie
  • Like 5

Gaaahhh, that is a beautiful kit! Can't wait to see it come together. Following for sure. Congrats!

The Hero only comes with bubble lenses. So yes they are installed. Bright green bubbles. As long as you keep looking straight and turn your head to look left or right it's okay. If you turn your eyes and look out the sides it strains your eye.

• Like 1

Sweet! I'm currently in the queue with Paul on a Hero kit, as well. Since I've built a number of kits in the past and don't have as much time as I'd like, I'm splurging and getting him to build it for me. I'm also gonna do the 1.5mm armour with original strapping. His work is just beautiful and I'm looking forward to following this thread and eventually receiving my kit, too. :)

Nagedzi, 

Lucky you! You'll love the armor once you get it. Paul is really great to work with too. 

If I do another TK I think I'd do the 2mm version, I'm sold on Paul's armor after seeing it, just don't be expecting super crisp details and things are not symmetrical, but its screen accurate! 

• Like 1

Trimming has begun but only on the TD, I won't have any time to do much till Sunday so I started the Thermal Detonator. I can use this on my AM kit as my AM TD is a old outdated model. Control panel trimmed and sanded, end caps have been cut and cleaned. I'll eventually use the TM clips but need to bend them still and need the garage warmer to do that. I have a set of evil boy clips for the interim their off by 1/8" in width but the holes for the clips are being placed for the TM clips so it will all work in the end.

My drill bit was broken for this size hole so I need a replacement to drill the holes, hopefully that's tonight, and then gluing the control panel on. The TM ABS is real easy to work with compared to the AM trimming should be a breeze for the rest of the armor. 

20160406_224453_zpscd1u7y5r.jpg

The TD is all assembled and the e6000 drying for the control panel. The end caps were heated up for about a min with the heat gun at 450 degree on high and slipped on they are just held in place, the one cap was particularity difficult to get on and there some very small stress lines that formed on the edge you can see them in the left side cap near the metal clip their on the bottom so won't be seen, the heat looks like it deformed the edge a little there too.

20160408_072811_zpsb9owbckw.jpg

20160408_072827_zps5y5nthxr.jpg

After my last build I decided to pre-paint all the TD pan head screws, split rivets, wire strap bolts and knee speed rivets. I know they'll get scratched on install but its easier to just touch that up afterwards. Painting the edges after their on the armor is such a pain this way that's all done. 

2016-04-08%2008.35.43_zpsjhkju3lq.jpg

• Like 1

As this is a Hero TK the Grappling Hook and Commlink is an option instead of the Thermal Detonator. So that's what I'll be using instead of the TD. I ended up buying the Blue Snaggletooth Grappling set.  Really beautiful build!

2016-04-08%2008.35.16_zps4e3sd6tl.jpg

2016-04-08%2008.34.49_zpsqd887mmw.jpg

2016-04-08%2008.34.31_zpsfdcz6qxj.jpg

2016-04-08%2008.34.01_zpszf4h3bjb.jpg

• Like 4

I'm building a Stunt so had no idea that the grappling hook was an option for Hero. Nifty! Good luck on your build!

In my opinion, the grappling hook should be an option for Stunt, too. In his stunt helmet, TK-421 wore it while guarding the Falcon. That terrorist Luke incapacitated him in the Falcon and took his outfit and magically his helmet changed to a different stunt lid with "communication issues". It wasn't until he got up to the gantry that it turned into a Hero. :P

• Like 2

The Grappling is listed under the Hero TK under optional:

Grappling Hook/Comlink
For 501st approval:
  • Grappling hook and comlink.
  • The grappling hook and comlink are substituted as a set in place of the thermal detonator.
    • Not worn in addition to it. 

http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_hero

I agree Nagedzi it should be an option for Stunt and Hero builds since its used on both in the movie. 

Saturday was spent with the Canadian Garrison doing a visit at Ronald McDonald house for sick kids at McMaster Hospital. 

I'm the tall TK beside Vader.

12986945_10153566313830665_4649313761029

Chewie and I bringing smiles to a child.

12984056_737173076425837_110494902984770

Sunday I got into some armor building, first up trimming! I used Lexan scissors for the almost all of the trimming, straight edges I'll used score and snap and very rarely a dremmel for difficult areas. After a piece is trimmed I sand all cut edges starting with 150 or 220, depends how rough the cut is and finish at 320 grit. I prefer to sand as I go as I hate just sanding everything at once, same for cutting everything in one go, either one is too much to do all in one go. I likely the closure of finishing a piece as I go. Plus doing all the cutting or sanding in one go would kill my fingers. 

The chest was first up... 

20160410_122112_zps2ap5ovdt.jpg

I draw pencil lines where to cut to guide me through to cut against. I use my french curves to draw clean sharp lines in some areas especially on the sides of the chest and back and along some of the return edges.

20160410_123358_zpss839xtqi.jpg

Trimmed and sanded.

20160410_132729_zpsuanfd6ly.jpg

On to the ab plate next. Need to take extra care in the corners to make sure there isn't any rough edges or micro tears as you cut inside corners as that's where cracks will likely form when pieces are under stress.

20160410_133130_zpsktlzzqsy.jpg

20160410_133147_zpsiwsymcbh.jpg

Paul kindly installed the "Han snap" for me using the screen accurate Newey snap I asked for that. If you buy his strapping set you'll get all the original snaps and straps I didn't but Paul provided this one for me. Love these little details it says "NEWEY ENGLAND" 

20160410_162319_zpsmcf66kl8.jpg

Abdomen all cleaned up ready for wire strapping connection. The split rivets I own have a silver finish and this one in the bottom of the cod is suppose to be brass, so I've painted one brass but trying to source a single brass split rivet for here so I'll hold off on that till later. 

20160410_162409_zpsj3tbys5e.jpg

Ab buttons in the trimming phase, score and snap for these. 

20160410_163034_zpsc2j0y1su.jpg

Both button plates finished and placed and ready for button painting then gluing to the plate. 

20160410_165506_zpsf7ag7bxm.jpg

The butt, really tight inner corners to be careful on as you trim. Lots of return edge on this piece, the top I left lots for the wire strapping but the sides I took down more I'll see how it is after its fitted and see if I need to take more off for comfort. 

20160410_165646_zpsnirzag59.jpg

Trimmed and the two male snaps installed. 

20160410_182517_zpsqeqlhreo.jpg

20160410_182556_zpsg3m8yjv3.jpg

20160410_182540_zps17lvhyqk.jpg

The kidney plate and those pesky notches what a pain to trim. 

20160410_182758_zpsnfy1h0ed.jpg

All trimmed up!

20160410_190445_zps3b8i6phc.jpg

The back plate, forgot to take a pre-shot, it has a lot of thick flashing to cut off so it was a slower trim on this one. The neck edge I took down a lot.

20160410_212831_zpsq3tmcmes.jpg

20160410_212844_zpsq44oyf2m.jpg

So that's the whole torso trimmed and sanded and ready for strapping...was going to start the shoulder bridges but my dog Sam decided he had enough sitting around watching me work and pulled out the E-11 Blaster so I had to shut it down. I'll try to get a few pieces done through the week but mostly this will be a weekend project. 

20160410_191615_zpsw1e5nqqg.jpg

Edited by TKZombie
  • Like 4

Had a some free time last night so I pulled out the shoulders and shoulder bridges for trimming up! The shoulders have a lot of return edge on the bottom and looking through screen shots there is variations of no edge, to some, to lots so its really personal reference here. I personally prefer an edge, give the shoulder some thickness. My AM TK has a thin edge so I decided on a thicker edge for this build.

Penciled in the cut lines I went with a 5mm edge along the bottoms and will see how it works, it can always be trimmed back later.

20160412_212433_zpsrcvre1kk.jpg

Trimming away the excess with the Lexans. 

20160412_214137_zps7xf8p19s.jpg

Trimmed up and sanded shoulders.

20160412_222527_zps79eukq9i.jpg

Its great the Paul marks each piece of armor in the kit with L or R makes for no guessing. 

20160412_222607_zpshvgyk2tl.jpg

Shoulders done and onto the shoulder bridges, I penciled in a cut line and trimmed again with the Lexan scissors.

20160412_215109_zpshigfp5v5.jpg

Two sets, trimmed and sanded for action!I I got a extra set in case one breaks down the road.

20160412_230602_zpsgqn9vdfv.jpg

I went with a 3mm edge around the bridges.

20160412_230716_zpsw0nfbm61.jpg

The cut off bag is slowly growing, keep your scraps!!! If you need to make repairs in the future you can melt this for ABS paste and the colour will match your armor. I bag each kits pieces and label them for if that time comes. 

20160412_230500_zpsm0zpwglj.jpg

• Like 3

Damn christina how tall are you? Its because of troopers like you that i get "aren't you short for a stormtrooper?" lmfao :laugh1:  am i'm 5'8"

the armor is looking great btw... can't wait to see your final product!  :smiley-sw013:

• Like 1

I'm 6'2" so tall indeed!! The TM armor is great for this as the pieces are longer than the average builders and the XL shins are going to be great. 

• Like 2

I just finished my first ANH Stunt TK build last month and submitted it for approval on March 9th and on March 11th was approved. I've been out on 2 troops with the Canadian Garrison so far and its been an incredible experience. But while I was building that first TK I decided I really wanted a second TK. My first TK is a hybrid of used and new armour. I purchased a completed set of AM armour mostly because I was intimated by the building from scratch idea. The AM set needed to be heavily modified to fit me as the original owner is about a foot shorter than me. So that meant new helmet, thighs, belt, chest, back, biceps and shoulders as well as replacing all the strapping and padding to fit me. As I modified and rebuilt that kit I gained the confidence to tackle a brand new build from scratch and really wanted to have a fresh kit to build all my own; my way.

So what kit should I get next? I searched around and consider another AM set as well as AP and RS but the one that really caught my eye was TM. The screen accuracy of his build is beautiful and everyone on the forum that has his kit loves them. I reached out to Troopmaster, otherwise know as Paul on Jan 28th and after a series of questions and discussions I was sold on Troopmaster as my next armor.

Next I had to choose from the two versions of ABS kits that he offers; 1.5mm ABS and 2mm acrylic capped ABS. Below is Paul's description of the 2 versions:

The 1.5mm is standard gloss ABS is the same ABS used for the movie suits. It is lightweight, flexible, with a nice gloss finish and a slight ivory white colour.

The 2mm has an acrylic capping that makes it extremely glossy. It also makes it a lot more rigid which gives a hard armour feel that some people like. This has a brighter white colour to it.

Please note: If you want to build a screen accurate suit with the strapping brackets then you want the 1.5mm gloss ABS. If you want to build a basic suit to look good for the public and like the snap strapping system, go for the 2mm. Snap strapping can also be used in the 1.5mm but I would avoid using the brackets on the 2mm.

I loved the look of the slightly ivory white colour of the 1.5mm and really wanted to to build my next kit with the original wire strapping system so my decision was easily made for me. Paul also is one of the few builders who offers both the Stunt TK and the Hero TK as options. I love the look of the hero build and the hero TK also can carry the grappling set with commlink instead of the thermal detonator so those were the selling points on why I choose the Hero kit.

I ordered and paid for a 1.5mm ABS ANH Hero TK from Paul on Feb 3. Paul's kits come with all the ABS body armour and helmet parts plus all the bits to build the helmet (lens, mic tips, rubber trims, rivets, screws - no decals), ABS joining strips and a grey detonator tube with metal belt clips. As well Paul also offers XL shins for taller people and most of his armor parts are longer the majority of the other kits available and being 6'2" this was a definite bonus for me! Paul offers original strapping bracket kits, these have everything you need to strap the armor like the originals in 1977 but I had already bought the Mr. Nostripes wire strapping set. Another option TM offers a full build option that includes a canvas belt, leather holster and rubber gloves. He does this using your body measurements for a guaranteed fit. But for me I wanted to build this kit myself so declined the full build but did take him up on building the Hero helmet for me. I've seen photos of his builds and his hand painted details are beautiful. So my TM Hero TK was ordered and now to wait!

Thankfully it wasn't that long of a wait 2 months and a day from order to delivery, it felt way longer than it actually was and I've heard of people waiting 6 months to a year for a kit. March 30th Paul contact me that my kit was build and shipped out. April 4th FedEx called me that my package was ready to be picked up!

So here is the necessary BBB photo when I got it home. I was worried that the box was a little mangled the top left side had been pushed in a lot and for a box marked fragile it certainly saw some wear!

20160404_201205_zpsqqqkc6j7.jpg

The contents were safely wrapped and thankfully all undamaged! Here is the entire kit in 4 bundles including a finished helmet inside there!

20160404_201810_zpsgr27yoqq.jpg

The unwrapping and layout of entire kit.

20160404_204047_zpsdhy6n4fc.jpg

20160404_204117_zps75cwdfxy.jpg

20160404_204153_zpsn5jlvsvj.jpg

20160404_204330_zpsslnk98m0.jpg

20160404_204339_zpsafrznd3e.jpg

20160404_204345_zpske1vkigo.jpg

20160404_204354_zpsjbzc7hfr.jpg

20160404_204401_zpsl3w6gzbc.jpg

20160404_204407_zps4ckbo0k6.jpg

20160404_205422_zpslm6ffdot.jpg

Well there it is...more to follow soon! I'll be regularly posting the build of this kit over the next 2 months. I'll get some good shots of the hero helmet up soon.

Christina, TK 21421

Finally got a chance to caught up on your thread - and now I really can't wait to get my bucket from TM.

Following along and pardon the drooling over your new armor - can't wait to watch the rest!