DSP DLT-19

Hey everyone! Just got my Diamond State Props DLT-19 in today, and thought I would share my review and some pictures. 

First off my grade:

Grade: C

I paid $350 for her, and seeing how the price jumped from $195 to $350 from July 2015 to December 2015, this seems odd, but ok. Maybe they underestimated the amount of time,  work, whatever. But for $350, for something that comes primed, I shouldn't have to do anything to it other than paint it. Yeah, that's not the case. She needs some work! I know DSP has been going through a lot of trouble lately and has basically shut their doors, except for doing some small runs in the future, but the product I got really doesn't look anything like the stuff one their website where it says "Actual photo, not a computer render". The prime paint job on this thing really left a lot to be desired. The wood was barely sanded, and is really rough, and you can see so much of the grain. I do not feel this is worth $350. $195, yeah, but not $350. I was pretty excited to here that they would still be doing runs in the future...Yeah, I be won't getting on them. I won't be asking for a refund, but I won't be a returning customer. I know the DLT-19 is pricey, heavy, and hard to make, but I feel this is pretty boarder line acceptable for the amount of money paid. The buttstock has a pretty bad gap where it meets the body on the bottom, so it is sitting not quite even. I can fill the gap in, but I shouldn't have had too. 

Unfortunately I don't have very good lighting or a good camera (iPad), so the pictures may not be the best. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is garbage or anything, the overall workmanship is pretty good, but I don't feel that this is worth $350, and does not compare to what they had advertised on their website. My intent is not to come here bash them, but to show what I got and give my honest opinion. Overall, I feel ok with my product, but feel i overpaid for it, but I am willing to put the time in to fix it myself. 

IMG_0483_zps2nymz0l1.jpg

IMG_0482_zpsqsgyuzgr.jpg

IMG_0481_zpsbi0whla2.jpg

IMG_0484_zpsmlfexltw.jpg

IMG_0485_zpsqmccqtxi.jpg

IMG_0487_zpsu5yvvio4.jpg

IMG_0488_zpsazbu22cg.jpg

IMG_0489_zps8dcyfurv.jpg

IMG_0490_zps7blsgpjg.jpg

IMG_0491_zpsra6pbazj.jpg

IMG_0492_zpsvlxm6fsh.jpg

IMG_0493_zpsytcrkxfi.jpg

Holy cow, Dan... I must say that I am with you 100%.  You have some serious work that needs to be done on this, including what looks to be an endless amount of sanding, (WOW, that is a rough cast)!  If you were paying $195.00, I could almost see that, but $350.00?  Break out the Bondo, though, and I am sure you will have this looking great in no time!

• Like 2

Correction to my above post! I do apologize to everyone and to Diamond State props. I got the price I was charged wrong. it was back in December and all. And like I said, I was going to go with one thing, then changed it...and the new price on the website is $350, but I was only charged $295 total including shipping. 

• Like 1

I paid $280 for my Hyperfirm DLT-19 B-grade including shipping and that is miles above where this is in terms of quality. Sorry you're going to have to put so much time into it, but I'm sure you can get it looking nice in the end!

So, yeah....I did contact them about a refund, and explained my feelings. I was told a refund would be no problem, but that the item should require no more than 15 minutes of sanding. I'm sorry, but if it requires any sanding, why is is it primed? I always primed last, with maybe a quick sanding on the prime to help the paint job stick, but to sand to smooth the surface of something already primed??? I'm perplexed by this comment. If I need to smooth the surface, why did you prime it???? Yeah, I'm sending it back tomorrow..... <br><br><br><br>

Does anyone know why doopy doesn't do his kits anymore?

For $195 they were a steal and the extra amount of work was worth it. But as stated above, you should have had a fully finished DLT for $350. Ive seen their work up close and personal, and they do a damn fine job, but there were flaws. I was going to buy one, but saw their pricing jumped up so i backed off