Anovos hovi mic tip Mod

A quick tutorial on how I modified the mesh on my Anovos hovi mic tips for a more accurate  'coarser weave' mesh.

First pried the edge of the mesh with a small flat head screwdriver to loosen the glue and ripped the old mesh out

7Lx8hkN.jpg

3qNq2um.jpg

The outer casing of the mic tip is two parts glued together, there was so little glue holding the second mic tip together it came apart in my hands, no problem though as its easy to glue back latter and actually helped in forming the new mesh.

ZQ70xX9.jpg

The 'sacrificial' sive bought from a euro store (pound store/dollar store), cost 1.50 euro, the mesh is easy to pull away from the frame as they are so cheaply put together!

7vjqbEU.jpg

r275cMK.jpg

Using the bottom area of the mic tip as a template I marked, with a permanent marker (sharpie) a circle but added about 5/7mm extra around the edge

f0mWQE9.jpg

ELUjBPH.jpg

Next use an old scissors to cut out the mesh,

word of warning:, if you don't have an old scissors then don't let the wife see you using her good kitchen ones!

YMZgGRG.jpg

Next step is to 'form' the mesh into the correct shape using something round and the correct diameter as a 'former', the closest thing I could find was a AA battery, it was slightly small though so I wrapped some masking tape around it until I found the optimum diameter,

I then just used my fingers to press the mesh into shape around the end of the battery, having the 'split' mic tip helped as I used this to check the fit by inserting it from the inside out, its not necessary though to do this!

fCq7ADe.jpg

1JsnAZO.jpg

33yYNhq.jpg

mesh formed ready for fitting, you can see the old 'finer weave' mesh on the left

RXx9zp6.jpg

Next carefully fit the mesh and superglue into place, if the glue spreads out a bit into the mesh don't worry, it can be carefully poked out of the unwanted areas of the mesh with a cocktail stick or a pin when its dried.

qYiQp9L.jpg

C7MTipc.jpg

Job finished and ready to be refitted back onto the lid,

Additionally I changed the anovos screws for heavier ones as they weren't 'grabbing' the tips very well and in danger of possible falling off some day, if you do this though you will have to carefully widen the holes in the back of the tip with a suitable drill bit, this should be done and test fitted before fitting the new mesh in case you did as I did and drilled all the way through the white plug to the front, it was an easy fix though with a dab of abs paste applied with a cocktail stick.

Also I reinforced the inside of the lid where the screws go though by glueing two round disks of abs and redrilling the holes.

ykkrzrs.jpg

UXyYpJ7.jpg

kZxrQva.jpg

Job done!

Hope this helps anyone doing this mod  :D  :dancing-trooper:

• Like 11

Yes, nicely done, Chris!

Now I'll have to decide between simply doing this mod and instead just buying Tony's speaker tips, LOL

As much as I like to sell my goodies, the mod is much cheaper. On the other, "two birds in the hand...." or in this case Hovis  :duim:

• Like 2

Yes, nicely done, Chris!

Now I'll have to decide between simply doing this mod and instead just buying Tony's speaker tips, LOL

Thank you Kalani,

The mod didn't take very long to be honest but does require some skill, 

Hope It doesn't cause Tony to lose to much business  :)

Thank you Kalani,

The mod didn't take very long to be honest but does require some skill, 

Hope It doesn't cause Tony to lose to much business  :)

I'm not worried lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been lookign at doing this when I go for centurion. Do you know what glue was used to hold them at the factory? I'm going to guess super glue?

Super glue or something like plastic welder. Whatever it is it's not too difficult to remove to screen.

Super glue or something like plastic welder. Whatever it is it's not too difficult to remove to screen.

Thanks, I'll probably wait until after my booked troop so I don't end up with no tips just in case.

After some bravery, some pipe grips and a lot of tape I now have my tips in 2 pieces. The correct 2 pieces too.

The black glue stuff they used has covered the inner white bit a lot so they need a touch up. These are flat white, but I have gloss will that be okay? Im also sure I've seen tips where the inside wall of the "tube" is white. Should this be white or black?

• Like 2

After some bravery, some pipe grips and a lot of tape I now have my tips in 2 pieces. The correct 2 pieces too.

The black glue stuff they used has covered the inner white bit a lot so they need a touch up. These are flat white, but I have gloss will that be okay? Im also sure I've seen tips where the inside wall of the "tube" is white. Should this be white or black?

Inside should be white

• Like 1