Armor Reinforcement Techniques?

I really love my Anovos armor a lot and I understand that the thickness isn't a huge concern, but I'd like this thing to last as long as possible. So I'm wondering if there is a safe way to begin reinforcing the thickness of all of it by maybe using 1.5mm adhesive backed foam sheets cut to geometry and placed inside? Does that sound goofy?
Any ideas?

..or what about fiberglass coating on the inside?

Depends how permanent you want it, I suppose? And how heavy is comfortable? You might find the resin would melt whatever material your kit is made from? Lots to consider  :blink:

As Mark mentioned, the thermal impact on the armor is definitely a potential issue with the fiberglass option, and the weight/comfort while trooping comes to mind as a concern.

I don't imagine (honestly) that you'll have much need to do any reinforcing of the armor.  The durability of that plastic is very heavily tied to the flexibility in it, and reinforcing it would take away a lot of that flexibility.  Not sure what the Pro/Con list would look like for doing it or leaving it alone.  

I haven't seen anyone with a TM or RS kit doing that sort of reinforcing, and based on the thickness of the plastic alone, that's the best comparison that I can think of .

I really love my Anovos armor a lot and I understand that the thickness isn't a huge concern, but I'd like this thing to last as long as possible. So I'm wondering if there is a safe way to begin reinforcing the thickness of all of it by maybe using 1.5mm adhesive backed foam sheets cut to geometry and placed inside? Does that sound goofy?

Any ideas?

Hey Scott, adding anything to the kit just adds weight. A single lb makes a difference over the course of a few hours trooping. I've seen people add tape like Mark has mentioned and even ABS strips, but to be honest unless it's to reinforce a specific weak point I really don't think you'll need anything. IMO

I'm by no means an expert but to add to what Tim said, most of the cracks and damage that may happen should be able to be fixed with a little abs paste, there are quite a few amazing repair jobs that I've seen on here that have been done with a couple applications of abs paste. Just keep a bunch of the scrap abs from you kit squirreled away for the day you will need it.

Edited by Jinsei

• 1 month later...

Ooooh, thanks will look that up as well.

Scott here is a link for the place that I ordered some Gaffers tape from, it is FAR superior to ordinary duck tape. It is also the gold standard in the FX, film and photography industries. You won't find a gripp or electrician or prop guy running around without a few rolls of it chained to his or her belt.  http://www.thetapeworks.com/

While we are on this subject or reinforcing the armor, I have been combing through posts to find this one for 2 days. :crushcomputer: :crushcomputer:  After my first troop I found a few cracks in my armor. Some I think can be sanded out with out too much issue. I am however worried about the inside of both thigh pieces where they clash together when I walk. They both started cracking on the return edge, the cracks however have not  (yet) continued down the armor yet. Would it be worth adding a strip on both sides, secured inside of both pieces with ABS paste to help prevent further issues?   I have also thought about using a heat gun to soften and reshape both pieces at this location as when the molds were pulled the maker left ALOT of room for us bigger folks to fit.     I will get a picture or two posted also once I figure it out.

post-25409-0-59284600-1462316754_thumb.jpg

post-25409-0-39579700-1462316841_thumb.jpg

Scott here is a link for the place that I ordered some Gaffers tape from, it is FAR superior to ordinary duck tape. It is also the gold standard in the FX, film and photography industries. You won't find a gripp or electrician or prop guy running around without a few rolls of it chained to his or her belt.  http://www.thetapeworks.com/

While we are on this subject or reinforcing the armor, I have been combing through posts to find this one for 2 days. :crushcomputer: :crushcomputer:  After my first troop I found a few cracks in my armor. Some I think can be sanded out with out too much issue. I am however worried about the inside of both thigh pieces where they clash together when I walk. They both started cracking on the return edge, the cracks however have not  (yet) continued down the armor yet. Would it be worth adding a strip on both sides, secured inside of both pieces with ABS paste to help prevent further issues?   I have also thought about using a heat gun to soften and reshape both pieces at this location as when the molds were pulled the maker left ALOT of room for us bigger folks to fit.     I will get a picture or two posted also once I figure it out.

I think you might have changed the left and right arm

I very well could have JKNO. that picture is fron my first troop this last weekend. I was happy to just get it all put on without too much help. I will need to comb through some of the CRL pictures and compare them to my armor so that I get the left and right parts in the right places. Maybe even mark them. :6:

After I get some more of the bugs worked out I am hoping to submit an application for EIB.

• Like 1

Done,   I compared them to a Centurion build picture on here and now have them marked.        And no takers on the reinforcement cracking issues discussed above eh ?