HOW TO: Support pads for Mr NoStripes bracket system.

In this short "HOW TO" I'll be illustrating how to make and install support pads that will be used with Mr Nostripes bracket system.

The reason for the support pads is due to the thin Armor material I encountered while building my Anovos TK. The height of the trooper was exerting a good deal of stress on the bracket mounting screws. Fearing the armor may eventually crack over time I made simple support pads from scrap ABS that would help distribute the stress throughout the length of the brackets instead of just at the mounting screw. This is not screen accurate nor is it absolutely needed. It is a solution to a problem with this particular armor and trooper. If you're experiencing a similar situation regardless of armor, this may work for you as well. If made correctly the pads are unseen from outside the armor.

Material:

1 or 1.5mm ABS or similar

Tools:

Steel ruler

Exacto knife

Pencil or sharpie

Drill and bit

Screw driver

Nut driver or pliers

PPE:

Glasses

Cut resistant gloves

Getting started. Using left over 1.5mm cover strip material, measuring the end to end bracket length. 

IMG_7288.jpg

Mark the mounting screw location

IMG_7289.jpg

Drill holes at screw locations.

IMG_7290.jpg

Cut out pads 

IMG_7291.jpg

Install between brackets and armor. The Mr Nostripes screw are long enough to incorporate the pads.

IMG_7292.jpgIMG_7293.jpgIMG_7296.jpgIMG_7299.jpg

Original setup

IMG_7304.jpg

With pads

IMG_7836.jpg

• Like 5

Did you consider gluing those those ABS tabs to the armor directly to reinforce that area? 

Yes. Then decided not to because I didn't want to deal with the gluing. Thanks for your input  :duim:  :D

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tony - glad you did this too as it confirms that my thinking was valid :duim: . Drilling the back armour returns was ok (as such) but the kidney and butt armour was way too thin so I felt that reinforcement plates were essential. Your version is much 'cleaner' than mine (of course!!) but I'm glad I went down this route.

http://www.idratherkissawookie.co.uk/stage-5-assembly-body-armour-back/

Did the same for the front armour too.

Hi Tony - glad you did this too as it confirms that my thinking was valid :duim: . Drilling the back armour returns was ok (as such) but the kidney and butt armour was way too thin so I felt that reinforcement plates were essential. Your version is much 'cleaner' than mine (of course!!) but I'm glad I went down this route.

http://www.idratherkissawookie.co.uk/stage-5-assembly-body-armour-back/

Did the same for the front armour too.

Glad it helped

I did this to mine too. Glued them directly to the armor. Two years, 35 troops and counting & still holding strong!!

Yea this is nothing new, just could find a tutorial on it. Good to see it's worked for you for so long. Proof is in the pudding they say  :duim:

I'm considering this for my TM TK I'm currently building. I know it's not screen accurate but I want this to last for years nor the duration of a movie shoot. Sounds like reinforcing the holes with the glued in abs tab will prevent cracks from the stress on the holes.

I'm considering this for my TM TK I'm currently building. I know it's not screen accurate but I want this to last for years nor the duration of a movie shoot. Sounds like reinforcing the holes with the glued in abs tab will prevent cracks from the stress on the holes.

Yes it will, also replied to your PM, don't hesistate to ask questions!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi. Do you guys have the measures of the brackets? (short and long ones). I could not find it here... Thx a lot.

Contact Darren Mr Nostripes himself

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/20859-accurate-anh-stormtrooper-strapping-brackets-v-20-now-available/

Hi. Do you guys have the measures of the brackets? (short and long ones). I could not find it here... Thx a lot.

I actually asked that question somewhere in the past few pages of his thread, and I believe he posted the measurements.

EDIT: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/20859-accurate-anh-stormtrooper-strapping-brackets-v-20-now-available/?p=504548

Edited by kman