firstceb TD Build - 501st>MEPD Officer>SWAT

Hi all! Decided last Nov this would be the year to join the 501st. Deciding where I wanted to build first, TD, was easy. Deciding which armor to buy and begin the journey took a month of research. I finally contacted RT-Mod to get on the wait list. I'm just under 6'2" 220lbs, so I figured based on sizing I would have to get a set of 'big boy' armor. I expected shipment some time in the fall.

Received my RT-Mod 'sandy' armor yesterday. Stoked! Last month Rob sends out an email regarding a sandtrooper quality set, so I threw my name in the hat. BOOM! Armor 10mo early! TKBoots arrived today. Double stoked! I still need to pick up a few things before I dive in completely, but I got pics and this will be a pic heavy build thread.

So without further ado...

image_zpskw3qpsr1.jpeg

Down to the armory!

image_zpsfxv3wcvx.jpeg

Everything packed up nice and tight.

image_zpsyoqo3v1u.jpeg

image_zpsspwme8oe.jpeg

Bucket test.

image_zpsulk5iznc.jpeg

Hovi-mics. Will I need to paint the inside white; outside black?

Ears look good, but I feel like I should trim a little off and seat them on the tubes. Thoughts?

Do the lenses look dark enough? Should I replace? I was actually really impressed with the bucket, particularly the lenses and how Rob added the cover on the edge.

Always nice to see another sandy, I post a lot on here as well as MEPD. If you're ultimate plan is to go SWAT, like every good sandy should strive to achieve, figure out which trooper you want to emulate. Study every small detail about that character, how the brow curves and rides high or low. Even gaps on the ears. I'm in the process of getting ready to apply for my PO status right now. If you build the rest of your armor to FISD Centurion standards but with the proper TD parts you won't have any issues. Best of luck in your build and if you need any help or have questions, that's what we are all here for! 

Still waiting for my lexan scissors and hoping for a successful visit to the hobby store on Saturday. However I am anxious to get started so I broke out the utility knife and dremel. I figured I would start start sizing the forearms and drop the return edges. You can see in the first couple pics there was a slight size difference with the inner halves. The smaller one seemed to fit better, so lets see if we cant make them uniform...

image_zpso03qxiny.jpeg

image_zpsuwuq8grd.jpeg

image_zpstoajpgbu.jpeg

image_zpsgzli2ttp.jpeg

image_zpscmlhnqsa.jpeg

Remove all that return edge by the wrist 

Thats what I figured, but you know "first cut" and all... I actually feel really good about working with the armor after using the dremel and trimming the inner forearms. RT seems sturdy.

Had a good long day shopping. Suffered two malls with the wife in trade for Jo Ann's, Hobby Lobby, Hobby Town USA and lastly Liquor Barn. Tomorrow should be full of progress!

Was happy to find a good under-suit. Still need the snaps, rivets, screen accurate strapping brackets...

image_zpspgkhpjib.jpeg

image_zpsy58tnwsq.jpeg

Anyone ever worked with one of these? I thought it might help with or take place of scoring.

image_zpskhppaohi.jpeg

Edited by firstceb

Your helmet looks fine, and I really like how the lenses were mounted.  They do look dark enough in the pictures.  If you think they might not be, put on the helmet and ask someone if they can see the details of your face in a well lit room.  If they're almost dark enough, you could tape off the lenses, mouth, and edges of the inside of the helmet and give it a good coat of black plastidip paint.

Looks like there was a booboo on the mask part near your right ear (red circle). You can repair the hole by removing the upper ear screws, using a tongue depressor to smear in a very small amount of ABS paste, then either grinding it down with a small file or using increasingly fine grit sand paper (start ~250, then step up in increments to 1000).  Keep in mind this will remove the finish in that area and you will need to take care when weathering, as paint or fuller's earth will take to this area more than areas that have a gloss finish.  You probably don't need to repair this 501st approval, but I think you will for PO or SWAT.

The builder left some pencil marks on the right ear (red box) that you should be able to erase with a pencil.  If you want this ear to sit more flush, remove it and trim the disk part millimeter by millimeter (blue line).  Like ABN Trooper said, if you want PO or SWAT, you'll need to copy a specific on-screen character down to every detail, including the wonky ear gaps and high/low brows.  I don't recommend altering the ears if you just want 501st approval right now, because the gaps you have are normal and altering any part of the shape will make your screw holes off when you try to remount it.  If you want PO or SWAT or you just want more screen accuracy, I recommend you buy at least 1 new set of ears to work on, maybe 2 because it's easy to make mistakes.

iJjlmJk.png

The left ear looks good.  If you decide you want to replace it along with the right one, I recommend mounting it about 1/4 in. higher on the helmet (red arrow) so that the top of the ear is aligned with the bottom of the brow.  What you have is right now should get you approved in 501st.  Again, reiterating my statements on ensuring you match each part to a on-screen character if you want PO or SWAT.

dd7WbEg.png

Once you trim the front end of your forearm (red line), check for fit.  There shouldn't be much gap between the bottom of the bicep and top of the forearm, so don't trim the forearm until you've fitted your bicep, bell, and have them attached to your kit by snaps or other system.
EyzYD4G.png

Those are my very nitpicky critiques that you should take with a grain of salt.  I'm not PO or SWAT level because of the effort that would need to go into upgrading my kit.  Overall your kit is looking really good!  Keep up the good work and keep us updated.

• 2 weeks later...