Annoying questions...

AWOL

Crazy awesome discussion here. Had fun reading it.

To bring this back to the space ships at light speed and to combine it with science fiction movies:

What if the two ships reach their destination and the first one goes below light speed just a nanosecond before the following ship does? :blink:

If a fleet of star ships enters hyperspace in movies we see the ships on the front start first - that makes sense.

When the fleet arrives and leaves hyperspace, the first ships arrive first. Wouldn't it be more realistic, if the last ones brake first? (a point of safety first)

Yes, I know, this is all just theory and of course all ships in that fleet use a clocking signal to synchronize their hyperspace travel and avoid any collision. :rolleyes:

We all go through life with questions occurring to us all the time, some we are able to work out for yourself, some you get answers from your friends and these days some you google (other search engines ate available)...

But some you can't get an answer and bug the crap out of you from time to time...

So mine...

A spaceship travelling at twice the speed of light has another spaceship following behind at the same speed on the same course, if somebody looked out the rear window of the ship in front would they be able to see with their own eyes the ship following?

if it works kick it, if it doesn't work kick it till it does...

Ignoring E=mcfor the moment.

IMO, no, you would not see the ship following. We see things because our eyes take in the light that is reflected from an object. The photons will not bounce off the ship moving at 2x light speed and be propelled at more than that speed. Where would that extra energy come from? Realize that the photons would need to be traveling toward you at three times normal speed in order for you to perceive the ship as "normal". Slower than that, and it would have a pronounced red shift. Even if the photons bounced back toward you at 2x the speed of light, you would never see any of the photons, as they would be moving at the same speed as you.

Now, my question is: where do all these photons go? Do they stack up at the front of the ships? What is the mass of a photon? It's gotta have mass, because it has energy,...right? But the mass of anything would be infinite (theoretically) when traveling at the speed of light, but, light as we know it has no mass, otherwise we'd all be sucked into a "light hole". Right???

Shoot. My brain hurts now. Thanks. I thought my day off would allow my brain to rest, but no. You gotta go and ask a question like this.

Crazy awesome discussion here. Had fun reading it.

To bring this back to the space ships at light speed and to combine it with science fiction movies:

Easy here Tino...  Science Fiction is breaching into Star Trek territory.  Just ask a Trek(kie/ker).  Star Wars is not Science Fiction.  ;)

AWOL are you one of those lectures that you used to see on sunday morning open university things in early 80's :P

Lol, the ONLY thing on TV if you woke up way too early :D But still watched it!

• Like 1

AWOL are you one of those lectures that you used to see on sunday morning open university things in early 80's :P

Well I was a teenager in the early 80s so maybe it just stuck with me, I don't have the mad beard or hair though and I don't wear tank tops or cardigans...

• Like 1

Ignoring E=mc2 for the moment.

IMO, no, you would not see the ship following. We see things because our eyes take in the light that is reflected from an object. The photons will not bounce off the ship moving at 2x light speed and be propelled at more than that speed. Where would that extra energy come from? Realize that the photons would need to be traveling toward you at three times normal speed in order for you to perceive the ship as "normal". Slower than that, and it would have a pronounced red shift. Even if the photons bounced back toward you at 2x the speed of light, you would never see any of the photons, as they would be moving at the same speed as you.

Now, my question is: where do all these photons go? Do they stack up at the front of the ships? What is the mass of a photon? It's gotta have mass, because it has energy,...right? But the mass of anything would be infinite (theoretically) when traveling at the speed of light, but, light as we know it has no mass, otherwise we'd all be sucked into a "light hole". Right???

Shoot. My brain hurts now. Thanks. I thought my day off would allow my brain to rest, but no. You gotta go and ask a question like this.

At last, somebody else who gets the cannot travel quicker unassisted point...

The rest fried my brain a little with your photons and mass, although I do remember vaguely something about not only the mass increasing as the speed of light is reached but also the size, at reaching the speed of light the object would increase to fill the universe?

Something like that anyway... but like Erm what?

Some of these theories ate a little way out there...

Ok some more important questions;

If I have a ship in the tractor beam, can it go to lightspeed?

Can a ship go to lightspeed from stationary in a hanger bay?

Can a ship at lightspeed slow down enough to pass through a planet wide shield?

I think the designers of any new massive space weapons need to give this some thought....

• Like 1