Vexus's AP Build Thread. Road to the 501st

Had another question/concern for my COD to Thighs. I noticed some scratch marks on my COD after walking around a bit. Am I able to trim down the return edges on the inside of the thighs where they meet the COD to minimize the scratching/touching from cod to thigh? Or is their another method to reduce scuff marks in this particular location?

• Like 1

Yes Im pretty sure you can. You are allowed to trim parts so they don't rub and will assist in movement such as inside and the back of the thighs and shins, around the ankles and forearms. Should be ok as long as it doesn't take away from the general look of the area. 

Also remember that you want as little black to show overall, so the less you have to take off the armour the better. A little bit of rubbing and clunking is normal, but you will know what you are comfortable with after the first few proper troops. 

Edited by HansDC
  • Like 2

Yes Im pretty sure you can. You are allowed to trim parts so they don't rub and will assist in movement such as inside and the back of the thighs and shins, around the ankles and forearms. Should be ok as long as it doesn't take away from the general look of the area.

Also remember that you want as little black to show overall, so the less you have to take off the armour the better. A little bit of rubbing and clunking is normal, but you will know what you are comfortable with after the first few proper troops.

Thanks again Hans
  • Like 1

Yes, you can remove the return from the top of the thighs. I actually didn't remove any for my inner thigh area and did a 5k walk and ended up bruised there, so I will probably remove it before doing any long walks like that again!

• Like 2

I removed an entire inch from the tops of my thighs, as they were just too long for my body. After doing do, I can sit (mostly) and move without armor bite issues in those areas.

• Like 2

Well everyone, I submitted my photos to my local advisor. I hope he signs off on my build and I can apply officially very soon. I had an amazing experience, and wanted to thank everyone involved with my build thread. White Armor and the 1st Stormtooper Detachment.

This has been an amazing experience, and hopefully a dream will come true soon. Thank You everyone. I have an amazing amount of support with my local garrison and my beautiful girlfriend Laurette. I am lucky :) So very thankful. Happy Monday!

trooper-9.jpg

trooper-7.jpg

received_10154233506479664.jpeg

received_10154233506504664.jpeg

Thighs I know I need to adjust:

-Shoulder Bells

-Thigh Garter System (Comfort)

- Placing Foam in Thigh and Calf (For Sniper Plate and Comfort)

Thank You again. Hopefully seeing you all out there soon!

• Like 3

Thanks Sentry. I hope so :D

Pew,

They are all around the recommended widths. ~15mm for arms. ~20mm in the front of the legs and ~25mm on the back. Give or Take a mm or 2. And YES. I did remove most of the return edge from my wrists if that is what you mean by "top" I left some return edge near the elbow.

• Like 2

Thanks Sentry. I hope so :D

Pew,

They are all around the recommended widths. ~15mm for arms. ~20mm in the front of the legs and ~25mm on the back. Give or Take a mm or 2. And YES. I did remove most of the return edge from my wrists if that is what you mean by "top" I left some return edge near the elbow.

I'm working on an AP kit now as well. I'm sizing my forearms to be 15mm also and they seem really tight. I don't think I have very large forearms. I'm not really a big guy. Are your forearms really tight to get in and out of? I'm thinking I might need to remove a lot of the return at the elbow and reshape them. Just comparing since we seem to be working from the same kit.

Great thread btw.

• Like 2

Hey Pew,

I am 5'11 215lbs. So I am a bigger trooper. My arms are oddly skinny, but they were still tight on me

The trick for me was to trim the front and leave the back alone. If the back of the forearms need to be larger, then so be it. The back of my cover strips are ~20mm. I had to make them larger in order for them to fit. The more important part of the cover strips are the front, so if the front is close to 15mm, you should be good.

Even after I applied my inner and outer strips, the forearms was STILL tight. So I grabbed a piece of PVC pipe that was similar in circumference and applied some heat to bend and make the opening "rounder" I am going to look at your build thread after.. post pics on your thread if you have not yet. But if the opening of the forearms seem "oval" you can make them more circler with a heat gun, BUT BE WARNED! Use the heat gun on its lowest setting!!! AND GENTLY... GENTLY form the plastic to be more circular. You will be surprised how much the fit improves after you make it more round.

I should also mention that the forearms are expected to be tight when you take them off and on. Do not be surprised if you need to squeeze the forearms to get in and out of them. But I STRESS that you try them on with your under suit on. It makes a difference.

I hope that makes sense.. explaining something with words was never my strong suit lol

Edited by Razgriz
  • Like 3

Another option for rounding the forearms is a hot water bath - much less likely to have something catastrophic happen, versus what a heat gun can do in a VERY short time frame.

Bring water to just under boiling, then remove from heat and let it settle for a minute before dipping the forearm in. Once it warms, you should be able to use hand pressure to flex the arm into a rounder shape, and while holding it, run it under cold water to set the shape. You may have to do this a few times, but it is safer and pretty easy.

• Like 3

I have always heard about the hot water method. I hear that works.. But the heat gun was more controlling.. In my opinion. But you need to decide what you are more comfortable with doing. Sentry is right.. In a very short amount of time.. Things can go from AWESOME to.. Well... Time to order another set of arms.

Point is.. If you have experience using a heat gun.. Use that... If not.. Hot Water bath is the way to go. Just sharing how I did it :)

Edited by Razgriz
  • Like 3

Stellar work mate and can't wait to hear that new TK ID. It's also been one great build thread to enjoy - kudos!

Appreciate the support Pyrates!
  • Like 1

Hey Raz, can I ask where you got your lenses? I just noticed the one that came with my kit is too thin for my liking.

Of Course, 

I got my lenses at Trooper Bay. Specifically these: https://trooperbay.com/dark-green-lens-material

• Like 1

Of Course,

I got my lenses at Trooper Bay. Specifically these: https://trooperbay.com/dark-green-lens-material

Is the material a little bit more like what you'd get with sunglasses? Like they're solid enough to wipe down when they fog up?

Thanks for the link! Appreciate it.

• Like 2

Is the material a little bit more like what you'd get with sunglasses? Like they're solid enough to wipe down when they fog up?

Thanks for the link! Appreciate it.

They are thicker then the stuff AP gives you. I would say the thickness of regular sunglasses. Much more stronger and durable. 

• Like 2

As i await approval from my GML. I was wondering what is the best method in keeping the calves in place when you walk? Is there a good tutorial I can follow? Velcro? Stirrups? 

Edited by Razgriz
  • Like 1

Good luck on the approval. In Spicecredits build he placed velcro on the front and back and said he can do a dance and they don't seem to move. I will be doing the same with mine.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The foam is enough for me but I have heard of many folks using the velcro as mentioned previously. Can't wait for you to get that TKID!

• Like 1