Vexus's AP Build Thread. Road to the 501st

Looking great, you're off to a flying start. I agree with taking some more out of eyes and teeth. You just seem to have a bit more flashing around eyes that can come out. Same for teeth. But you're spot on with what you're doing and in seeking feedback. Great start!

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0251 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Alright, before I move on, I went ahead and trimmed up the eyes even more and opened up the teeth. I also did a rough cut of the ears and part of the cap of the helmet. Going at a snails pace here. 

Next Sunday, I will be meeting with an experienced builder and hopefully we can finish up the helmet and/or maybe get some loose fitting done. Happy Easter everyone. Give me some C&C on the work so far. Please. 

20160327_192822_1.jpg

20160327_192845_HDR_2.jpg

20160327_192833_2.jpg

20160327_192325_2.jpg

20160327_192321_2.jpg

20160327_192312_2.jpg

• Like 3

Fitted the cap with a loose rivet. I like the fit and it's finally looking like a trooper bucket.

Question:

Would it be okay to use a heat gun at the bottom of the bucket to get a better fit with the ears?

Image01.jpg

Image0.jpg

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Fitted the cap with a loose rivet. I like the fit and it's finally looking like a trooper bucket.

Question:

Would it be okay to use a heat gun at the bottom of the bucket to get a better fit with the ears?

Image01.jpg

Image0.jpg

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Oh no you said "HEAT GUN"!!!!! Noooooooo!

http://youtu.be/i5ktzF0s19Y

Use a sealing iron or hot boiling water mate

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 2

Wo. That was a crazy response. Any reason besides the obvious on not to use a heat gun??? Does it melt the ABS ? The two pieces are separated with a large gap. What is the best way to get the ears to fit with as little gap as possible.

Edited by Vexus

A heat gun does bad things as it's not controlled heat - take a look at my fellow recruit's ears when he tried a heat gun.

AP ESB Build WIP

Someone please help me... Tell me I don't have to buy a new helmet...

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?/topic/34100-AP-ESB-Build-WIP/page__view__findpost__p__467310

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 1

I would encourage you to try using a HG on a piece of scrap ABS for the experience so you can know first hand just how quickly things can sour.

Cheers mate and keep it up!

• Like 1

UPDATE & a QUESTION (NO PICS YET)

Doing rough trimming on a variety of parts. I messed up on one ear and took off a little too much, so I have AP sending me a replacement ear. Live and Learn right?

Once I do my fitting with tape, and fine tune all of the trimming, the next step would be start on the cover strips and strapping system? My question: is there a reference point on how thick that these cover strips need to be for the various parts of the armor?

Thanks.

Stupid Question? I am new... lol

Edited by Vexus

UPDATE & a QUESTION (NO PICS YET)

Doing rough trimming on a variety of parts. I messed up on one ear and took off a little too much, so I have AP sending me a replacement ear. Live and Learn right?

Once I do my fitting with tape, and fine tune all of the trimming, the next step would be start on the cover strips and strapping system? My question: is there a reference point on how thick that these cover strips need to be for the various parts of the armor?

Thanks.

Are you asking how wide the cover strips need to be? As for thickness of the strip I don't believe there is any set measurement as the thickness varies from maker to maker.

Accurate Widths of cover strips are as follows from reading a ton on ukswrath's threads.

15mm for the biceps and forearms

20mm for the thighs and shins.

Please let me double check before doing any cutting though and I will also post the link

• Like 1

I meant the width, not so much the thickness. But that is amazingly helpful! I won't be doing any cutting until we are 100% on this! :D PYRATES = MY HERO

• Like 1

I meant the width, not so much the thickness. But that is amazingly helpful! I won't be doing any cutting until we are 100% on this! :D PYRATES = MY HERO

Confirmed mate - Page 10 - Post #189

ukswrath's ANOVOS TK build

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?/topic/35086-ukswrath%27s-ANOVOS-TK-build

Things to take into consideration when doing your strips - the goal is to keep them looking uniform and proportional to the pieces - if you're smaller try and keep them as close to the 15mm mark as possible ie. 13mm is ok -if you're bigger like me again try to keep them as close to the accurate size as possible but if you're over then make them big enough to cover the cover strip area so it looks similar to smaller troopers.

This was my attempt at having 15mm cover strips (as an example)

262e0cb4078ddf20ea3ba212cb422d00.jpg

This is what my finished cover strip looks like

e69d9240f2720dbd1dbe205a245ba3b2.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all. Taking a break from trimming and working on the helmet. I received my replacement ears from AP. I DID NOT make the same mistake twice and take off too much to be "perfect." Everyone says that the gap is fine. My ears are on the high side. I am told that this is okay. 

So, added some decals and did some painting,  It bled in some parts of the teeth and black mouth, and will be doing some touch up work tomorrow or over the weekend.

20160412_192501.jpg

20160412_192445.jpg

20160412_192508.jpg

20160412_192519.jpg

received_10154018131917778.jpeg

I then finished the night off with some thermal detonator action. I did not glue the end caps yet. 

20160414_195047.jpg

20160414_195059.jpg

C&C. 

• Like 4