Stick's RT-MOD stunt build

stick

First build for me, and part of a very mellow mid-life crisis. Just starting with RT-MOD and as a 6'3 tall guy it's an obvious choice. Rob was great to buy from, and my local garrison has been supportive so far (so far because my torrent of questions has yet to overwhelm them). 

The whole kit being unboxed.

gHTa9aV.jpg

Biceps first step. Probably went a little light on the inner shims. Going the cover strip route, and I just needed to break the seal and start gluing something.

tbpdlr8.jpg

Will cut and glue the cover strips next. Arms will be the next decision. I've seen people trim them so the laddering goes edge to edge, but I've got long arms and I don't think that detail effects EIB or Centurion.

Looking good (almost) trooper. Lots of good RT- Mod builds on here so you are in good hands.

I know I read a few of them countless times and was constantly going back to them to check what's happening and where was I up too

More progress today. TK Boots arrived. Took the clamps off the biceps and shims, now fitting cover strips. Haven't glued yet, just debating how much more sanding/rounding I need to do and if I got the length right on the cover strips.

yVzVIS0.jpg

MUu62i9.jpg

nVdoYip.jpg

First big decision time. I need to open the forearms up by 16mm, so I'm going to go 8mm per side, then put the cover strip over them. It's the only way to get my hand through. So I taped and tried, but the 15mm cover strip looks like this, and I don't know if it is acceptable.

Jyvwcrj.jpg

I could cut some of the extra ABS I have to make a wider cover strip. I'm not worried about durability as I'll be shimming the inside, it's just looks. I don't mind the look of it, but I don't want to have to take it off later and fix it.

Welcome fellow RTMod builder! Can't wait to see your kit come to life!!<br>

Rob definitely is easy to work with! I will buy from him again. <br>

No matter what the experts decide for that forearm, just remember e6000 is easy to work with and not that bad when you have to deconstruct... Been there I know, lol!

I think I may have messed up something major. Bicep and forearm have an inner and outer. But since I was using cover strips, I just butted both those raised edges together and put a cover strip on top. I think that might be wrong. Bicep looks like this.

*** Reading some other RTMOD threads it does look like that's how it is done as above. 

KVcB53D.jpg

Edited by stick

Welcome fellow RTMod builder! Can't wait to see your kit come to life!!<br>

Rob definitely is easy to work with! I will buy from him again. <br>

No matter what the experts decide for that forearm, just remember e6000 is easy to work with and not that bad when you have to deconstruct... Been there I know, lol!

Rob has been great. Amazing what he does. Long wait list but totally worth it.

Did Rob send you a RTMod assembly manual?<br><br>

Lmao, just when you think you have seen it all.... I love the White Zone!! <br>

(I found the RTMod assembly instructions, honestly didn't know this was out there! Very nice little manual! Thank you!)

Edited by Dougal

Arms are just finishing up now, and i'm moving on to shins. There are some pre-drawn lines which I assume are for me to to cut. If I cut on those lines then the raised edge distance will be equal to the cover strip width. Instructions for this part are a bit confusing but they must go together the same way the arms do.

UWiJkvq.jpg

The front of the shin cover strip should measure 7/8". Each half of that should come in right around 7/16". If that's what you are measuring off of those pre drawn lines, then I say go forth with confidence that you are on the right track. Save the rear sizing for the Armor Party this Sunday. Extra eyes and hands will help get it right the first time.

The front of the shin cover strip should measure 7/8". Each half of that should come in right around 7/16". If that's what you are measuring off of those pre drawn lines, then I say go forth with confidence that you are on the right track. Save the rear sizing for the Armor Party this Sunday. Extra eyes and hands will help get it right the first time.

Great. I'll charge ahead. I want to get as much of the basic gluing done as possible so I can get that help for the tricky bits.

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of time has gone by and I'm starting to bog down a bit. Gluing snap plates is full of doubt for me. I keep telling myself it's not like a cut, I can fix it easily, but nevertheless the going is slow. Here's where I've got to.

Shins all done...

8R867JH.jpg

gyLpGGd.jpg

Awesome 3d print received from a friend...

GrssEBc.jpg

E-11 received from Quest Design Canada (great to deal with)..

rm7HDTt.jpg

Thighs don't line up at top so decided to cover with cover strip...

rYZXvzI.jpg

Gluing what feels like an eternity of snaps on ....Placement may be off with some. I'll see when I start strapping.

xUiCAd3.jpg

Now trying to figure out how I'm going to fit and fix in the cod piece. It wants to be a couple of inches higher and under the abdomen plate.

UqMZby0.jpg

Thanks for the pic. It's good to get some verification on these things. Once I get the chest on and fitted with the abdomen I'll make the final adjustments for the codpiece and get the straps on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello from Holland, Mich.! Already assembled an ANOVOS kit, but I have an RT-MOD kit on order (due end of 2016). Been fun following your build. <br><br>

I never noticed this before, but do the RT-MOD kits arrive with an ab plate that is *separate* from the cod? On my ANOVOS kit, the ab and cod are fused into a single plate (which makes it impossible to sit!). <br><br>

I'm 6'4", 230 lbs, so I'm hopeful that the RT-MOD kit will fit me better without so much "black" showing. :-)

As above, yep the cod is separate from the ab. It's good though because it's really adjustable. At least I don't know any better and it didn't bother me.

This is what it looks like unsnapped...

83oF1w7.jpg

I haven't posted in a while, and I've been slowly working away at it. I did a big push this weekend and I think I got it all done (we'll see what I missed) and I submitted my application.

I'm 6'3" and this is how it fits me on my first full wear....

sLsX1yg.jpg

Mobility seems okay. I'm going to give it a bit more of a run through. Vision is super limited. I can adjust the helmet forward slightly but I'm dealing with a cone with a diameter of about 5 feet all the way around me. Little scary. 

If anything it restricts at back of legs a bit, though walking seems totally fine.

July 1 is a target for me...submitted to Outer Rim and 501st. The parade is a bit intimidating. That's a long time in the armour, and all that walking, if something is going to unsnap, it will do it there.

Still looking for a good cool, non-irritating black compression shirt. There is a Nike one I'm going to try and track down. My amazon one is a bit itchy.