Modifying battery to power bank for my RomFX and fans

Hello guys,

My helmet is equipped with a RomFX and two little fans. While I am super satisfied with them, the batteries I have to carry are a pain. The fans take a 9V battery and the RomFX takes 8 AA battery.

The 9V one is ok, I guess I can cope with it. But I installed the 8 AA at the back, in the groove above the neck. I found out it gives me severe neck muscle pain (more like the muscle going up the back of the skull) because the helmet's balance is off. Too much weight on the back.

Therefore I was thinking of placing a powerbank above my head, seems there is some room to do so. However I have no idea how to modify the wiring and make them into a USB and if the tension in the same as a powerbank.

Could I just solder red wire to red and black wire to black  ?

Your help will be much appreciated !

Tibo

Yep... keep in mind usb is 5v. I would use 5v fans. I think 12v fans will work but less then ideal. I'm running 3 5v fans off of a 25.00 Anker powercore 10000 mounted behind by head. The battery acts as a counter weight on the back of my helmet and keeps the front of my mask from bottoming out on chest plate. I tested it for 4 hours and thing was still running strong. Saves money big time. No more buying AAs & 9Vs. \w/

Anker powercore 10000 (amazon):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0194WDVHI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Edited by cjdesign
  • Like 1

Thank you for the info Cjdesign. The wieght I have in the back is actually too much, it pulls the helmet up so I constently need to push it down :/

What I need to find out is how to connect the usb cable to the RomFx. How did you do ?

Cheers

If you cut the USB cable up you'll find a red and a black cable inside. The red is the positive 5v and the black is the negative.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

check this thread out by Ukswrath... you may need to go this route.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29534-helmet-electronics-and-external-power-supply-updated

Edited by cjdesign