AP ESB BUILD[*AP]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay,

Right now I'm trying to trim my AP ears and I've read this paragraph a hundred times.. I still cannot grasp the meaning of this.

Would somebody be so can to expleain me in plain English? Maybe a pic?

I really don't want to screw up "my" ears.

Ā 

Ā 

Karin

He is pretty much saying that you should ignore the trim lines on the caps themselves, and that you should inset the trim them 1/8" from the recommended trim lines. When trimming the lobes (the strips that extend below the caps), just follow the trim lines as it.

Like this..... :)

Ā 

Next comes the fun!!!! EARS!!!! Here is how I do it. I score a line about an 1/8 inch away from the cap then follow around at the front of the ear tracing the guide line. Pretty much the same in back too except I do a sweep from the cap of the ear to the guide line. The ears always fit better that way. Once I get the ears to fit properly, I sand them down a bit with 80 grit and then use a blade to lightly scrape off the extra material thats left from sanding. That way they are nice and smooth. On the AP mounting the eras is a snap. Just use the pre marked holes and drill them out. Then put the screws in.

100_7982.jpg

100_7983.jpg

100_7984.jpg

100_7985.jpg

100_7986.jpg

100_7987.jpg

100_7988.jpg

100_7989.jpg

100_7990.jpg

100_7991.jpg

• 1 month later...

How About the final trim under the helmet?

Ā 

do you just make the junction of the ears, and face and back cap's a smooth round cut?

Ā 

I can see on some of the photos you have a more rounded bottom on the trimout.

Ā 

regards

• 6 months later...

could you do a pic showing a red cut line for where you'd trim the bottom edges?

would most of the material come from off the faceplate?

Ā 

I'm thinking seriously about trimming a little off of mine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

hi sir, my father and i had just recieved our ATA to do an ESB build i followed your helmet tutorial was a great help! my helmet turned out great. i just wanted to give you props on an awsome step by step tutorial. if anyone was to follow this while building their helmet they should have no problem! as soon as i figure out how to post picks i will have them up.