SDS - Shepperton Design Studios - Snagging list (UKG 501st)

Hey folks, I've posted this over on the UKG forum too *** Edit - Has now been removed from UKG forum *** I think this little list of required changes to the standard factory SDS battle spec outfit may be useful to anyone hoping for 501st basic approval, especially if they're in the UK, where some 'extra' detailing is required over and above the published CRL. For ease of use, I'd suggest following the level 2 requirements on the CRL if you wish to gain UKG approval.
If nothing else, it may save time, both from a builder's AND armourer's perspective if SDS owners know exactly what is required of them from the start :)

I will say for starters, that if I were to start this process again (with SDS stuff), I'd remove ALL internal strapping and velcro, and use snap and plate system with elastic connections.

I'll update the list as and when I remember stuff i've done or when I carry out a new change.

Modifications required for basic 501st (UK) clearance:
SDS Battle Spec ANH Stormtrooper

Glue shoulder straps to upper tabs on chest plate. (Ensure 4 narrow ribs are on chest plate)
Glue closed Biceps.
Glue closed forearms.
Glue closed thighs.

Keep your ABS belt for the following:
Glue cover strips to rear of thighs.
Glue cover strips to rear of shins (ensure coverstrips are glued to extreme edges, or outside of shin overlap)
Glue cover strips to front and rear of biceps.
Glue cover strips to front and rear of forearms.

Remove bottom 1" of left thigh coverstrip, to finish before knee ridge.
Trim sniper plate to required standard. 
Remove both bolts from sniper plate and fill holes.
Glue sniper plate in correct position on knee ridge.
Remove both bolts from knee ammo plate.
Replace bolts with suitable 6mm flat rivets, painted white.
Reshape knee ammo plate to give 90 degree angles on upper corners and rounded on bottom corners.
Reattach knee ammo plate, repairing any holes left.
Remove plastic thermal detonator clip and replace with required metal clips. Repair holes left by plastic clip removal.

Reduce length of thermal detonator to required size. (I had to cut slices out of grey pipe, as the caps were ABS welded on).
Replace supplied ABS belt for a canvas belt of suitable dimensions.
Reattach waist ammo pack and drop boxes to canvas belt.
Attach suitable holster to left side of canvas belt with two silver coloured rivets or chicago screws. Ensure correct forward positioning of holster.

Additional changes i've made, which weren't required, but are little bits of detailing:

Reshape the bottom left and right points of chestplate.

Make 50mm white elastic / snaps shoulder bridge connectors. 

Remove the SDS-supplied over the shoulder strapping.

Install brass rivet on cod.

Install 2x snaps on underside of butt.

Things I still intend on doing:

Install 6x white painted brass rivets on L/H body - 3 on kidney, 3 on abdomen. (Done)

Make a belt / garter system for thighs. (Done)

Install single snap on R/H abdomen. (Done)

Complete all interior strapping with no velcro - only elastic and snaps.

Cut notches in both sides of kidney, depending on how it'll look with the SDS armour.

Install an in-helmet fan.

Edited by humperdingle
  • Like 2

I may have a sniper plate and knee ammo belt if it's a hassle fixing the others...

if it works kick it, if it doesn't work kick it till it does...

Hi mate, I (think) both are done to the required standard, but thanks for the offer :)

Hope to get my kitted-up photos done tomorrow.

Nice one, I know you're having to put in a lot of work but I think you'll find it worth it in the long run... (hopefully) lol...

I'm sure one day we'll be trooping together

Well, more than i'd anticipated, that's true. I haven't had to spend any extra cash, though, as I already had the stuff to complete the jobs so far (recycling the ABS for coverstrips etc)

I look forward to it :D

If u need more for cover strips let me know I've got some spare, well, unused lol...

if it works kick it, if it doesn't work kick it till it does...

It's all "covered"  ;)  But thanks again for the offer :)

Brilliant list!!!

Btw how did you remove the abs clip off the detonator and the ammo part off the abs belt without making a mess?

Cuz it took a long time to do that

Hey, from memory, I drilled the rivets out using a decent DeWalt HSS drill bit.

You may not have to do all the items on the list, depending on where you are?

Edited by humperdingle

Hi Mark I've been watching your wip over on the ukg forum. Frustrating isn't it when you follow the crl only to be told that isn't how uk do it for basic. I have come up against that a little and I know when you pointed out you are following the crl you had a similar response as i did. Glad to see it's not put you off finishing your build.

Keep at it  :jc_doublethumbup:

Hi Mark I've been watching your wip over on the ukg forum. Frustrating isn't it when you follow the crl only to be told that isn't how uk do it for basic. I have come up against that a little and I know when you pointed out you are following the crl you had a similar response as i did. Glad to see it's not put you off finishing your build.

Keep at it  :jc_doublethumbup:

Hi bud ( An awful lot of Marks on here, aren't there?? )

A little frustrating, but i'm sure I'll get there.

This list was removed from The UKG forum by a mod, and apparently won't be put back on. A shame, really, as I'm just trying to give a bit of clarity to existing and future SDS owners. Maybe some folks have been put off because they weren't sure exactly what they needed to do for approval, I dunno.

• Like 1

Hey, from memory, I drilled the rivets out using a decent DeWalt HSS drill bit.

You may not have to do all the items on the list, depending on where you are?

Ahh I see! I first used a drill to do it but it took ages..Therefore I used a Dremel to cut of the rivet cap and the rest came out on their own. But it was really messy...

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to this... I'm now 501st (UKG) approved, for basic.

One good thing about the UKG's strict policy, is that I will  clear EIB approval with just a little more work :)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On March 18, 2016 at 5:27 PM, humperdingle said:

Hey folks, I've posted this over on the UKG forum too *** Edit - Has now been removed from UKG forum *** I think this little list of required changes to the standard factory SDS battle spec outfit may be useful to anyone hoping for 501st basic approval, especially if they're in the UK, where some 'extra' detailing is required over and above the published CRL. For ease of use, I'd suggest following the level 2 requirements on the CRL if you wish to gain UKG approval.
If nothing else, it may save time, both from a builder's AND armourer's perspective if SDS owners know exactly what is required of them from the start :)

I will say for starters, that if I were to start this process again (with SDS stuff), I'd remove ALL internal strapping and velcro, and use snap and plate system with elastic connections.

I'll update the list as and when I remember stuff i've done or when I carry out a new change.

Modifications required for basic 501st (UK) clearance:
SDS Battle Spec ANH Stormtrooper

Glue shoulder straps to upper tabs on chest plate. (Ensure 4 narrow ribs are on chest plate)
Glue closed Biceps.
Glue closed forearms.
Glue closed thighs.

Keep your ABS belt for the following:
Glue cover strips to rear of thighs.
Glue cover strips to rear of shins (ensure coverstrips are glued to extreme edges, or outside of shin overlap)
Glue cover strips to front and rear of biceps.
Glue cover strips to front and rear of forearms.

Remove bottom 1" of left thigh coverstrip, to finish before knee ridge.
Trim sniper plate to required standard. 
Remove both bolts from sniper plate and fill holes.
Glue sniper plate in correct position on knee ridge.
Remove both bolts from knee ammo plate.
Replace bolts with suitable 6mm flat rivets, painted white.
Reshape knee ammo plate to give 90 degree angles on upper corners and rounded on bottom corners.
Reattach knee ammo plate, repairing any holes left.
Remove plastic thermal detonator clip and replace with required metal clips. Repair holes left by plastic clip removal.

Reduce length of thermal detonator to required size. (I had to cut slices out of grey pipe, as the caps were ABS welded on).
Replace supplied ABS belt for a canvas belt of suitable dimensions.
Reattach waist ammo pack and drop boxes to canvas belt.
Attach suitable holster to left side of canvas belt with two silver coloured rivets or chicago screws. Ensure correct forward positioning of holster.

Additional changes i've made, which weren't required, but are little bits of detailing:

Reshape the bottom left and right points of chestplate.

Make 50mm white elastic / snaps shoulder bridge connectors. 

Remove the SDS-supplied over the shoulder strapping.

Install brass rivet on cod.

Install 2x snaps on underside of butt.

Things I still intend on doing:

Install 6x white painted brass rivets on L/H body - 3 on kidney, 3 on abdomen. (Done)

Make a belt / garter system for thighs. (Done)

Install single snap on R/H abdomen. (Done)

Complete all interior strapping with no velcro - only elastic and snaps.

Cut notches in both sides of kidney, depending on how it'll look with the SDS armour.

Install an in-helmet fan.

Thank you very much for the information! you are great!