I have armour questions before purchasing

Hello all

I have done many many weeks of research on the different types of armour and where to purchase them and I have finally decided to become ANH Stunt Stormtrooper.  After research and reviewing the dealerships on whitearmour.net I am going to go with AP.  I've heard a lot of good things about them along with excellent armour details from building posts.  But before I rush into purchasing my armour, I would like to ask a couple of questions about the AP armour first.

1.  I heard that they might have soft detail in the armour/helmet.  Is there anyone who found this to be true, if so could those details be sharpened without damaging the armour?  (I was just curious about this, I still think that it looks amazing) 

2.  Are there any pieces from the kit that might need to be replaced?  (just so I know if I need to continue researching replacement parts so I can order them at the same time I make my armour purchase)

3. I've seen armour parts from different kits and there is a (thumb print like) depression in one of the biceps.  I did some research and it is suppose to be there.  But why is there a depression in both biceps instead of just the one?  Can this be fixed?

4.  If I put some thin foam into my helmet for comfort, would I still have enough room to install fans?

5.  Since the E-11 can be bought additionally, how heavy is it compared to the other E-11 dealerships?

I would greatly appreciate all the help that could be provided.

thanks.

• Like 1

Hey C let me see if I can help you here

"Hello all

I have done many many weeks of research on the different types of armour and where to purchase them and I have finally decided to become ANH Stunt Stormtrooper.  After research and reviewing the dealerships on whitearmour.net I am going to go with AP.  I've heard a lot of good things about them along with excellent armour details from building posts.  But before I rush into purchasing my armour, I would like to ask a couple of questions about the AP armour first.

1.  I heard that they might have soft detail in the armour/helmet.  Is there anyone who found this to be true, if so could those details be sharpened without damaging the armour?  (I was just curious about this, I still think that it looks amazing) 

It's not as bad as some say and it wouldn't be worth the effort making any modifications, the armor is perfect the way it is.

2.  Are there any pieces from the kit that might need to be replaced?  (just so I know if I need to continue researching replacement parts so I can order them at the same time I make my armour purchase)

No

3. I've seen armour parts from different kits and there is a (thumb print like) depression in one of the biceps.  I did some research and it is suppose to be there.  But why is there a depression in both biceps instead of just the one?  Can this be fixed?

The indent in the left bicep is screen accurate, in other words it's supposed to be there.

4.  If I put some thin foam into my helmet for comfort, would I still have enough room to install fans?

Depends on how much foam you use but realistically you should be fine.

5.  Since the E-11 can be bought additionally, how heavy is it compared to the other E-11 dealerships?

Comparable, similar

thanks.

• Like 4

On 3/17/2016 at 2:33 AM, Shinyarmour1 said:

Hello all

thanks.

Hey there C, 

I can provide a bit of extra assistance here.  

For #3, yes...  The thumb print (from armor sculptor Brian Muir) is on the left bicep on screen armors.  It is on the left bicep of many of our armor makers, and on both biceps of many armor makers, because the biceps molds are sculpted symmetrically.  You can remove the thumb print from the right bicep with a heat sealing iron, and some patience.  I have removed the one from my right bicep.

mZJKu9I.jpg

For #4, there is a lot more room in there than you think, but there still isn't much room - if that makes any sense at all.  My helmet has military foam padding installed, and has fans, voice board and microphone, speakers in the Hovi-tips, and an external audio system so I can hear outside the helmet much better than without it.

Ql4fm8X.jpg

This photo was taken during the installation of the Hovi-Tip speakers, that's why you see the wiring across the helmet opening from the Hovi-Tip area.

• Like 5

Hey there C, 

I can provide a bit of extra assistance here.  

For #3, yes...  The thumb print (from armor sculptor Brian Muir) is on the left bicep on screen armors.

Actually no. That came on sometime after the plaster Brian sculpted and the vac-moulds were made.

"Not sure if this has been answered already but how did the thumb print on the bicep come about (obviously made by a thumb! lol) but was it left on intentionally or just not noticed?

The thumb print on the inside of the bicep was not in my sculpt. How it came about I don't know. My thumb fits Vader's nose but was not used for anything else 'Star Wars' lol"

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/15782-newsletter-june-2011/

But yeah, AP has the thumb print on both biceps because it comes with two left biceps.

• Like 4

AP soft details really!!!!  not sure were that comes from,  remember I use .80 gauge ABS and this is as sharp pulls you can get using .80 gauge,  most makers use .60 gauge which is much thinner,  of course I can also use .60 which is actually cheaper to buy and easier to form but then will compromise durability, take into concideration that .80 gauge plastic after forming will thin down to approx .60 gauge,  using .60 gauge plastic will thin down to approx. .40 gauge which is pretty thin,  after many test pulls we settled with .80 gauge ABS which gives you the best of both worlds :)[/url]

--------------

[/url]

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 5

AP armor has perfect details, not soft, but not too sharp either cause that's also a bad thing. As mark said it compromises durability of the armor.  AP armor is accurate trust me! And as for the two left arms, I wouldn't get too worked up over that. It's also screen accurate, I've spotted more than one stormtrooper suit in ANH that was exactly like this. I can show screenshots and give timeframes if proof is needed, but believe me it's accurate to the film. Mark told me the original suit that his molds were formed from was like this.

The AP helmet dome has been sanitized (or cleaned up) but that is desired by many people like me. I prefer the idealized version as the original helmet domes in the film were not smooth at all but bumpy and textured. I personally don't believe this was intentional by the costume designers so that's why I like the idealized helmet dome but there are purists who prefer it that way, in this case RS Props produces a helmet dome that is bumpy and textured like the originals. The face plate is still very accurate to the film including the asymmetric look, the bump under the right eye, and slightly off-centered teeth, ect.

Just like in the movie!

Edited by SlyFox740
  • Like 2

WOW!! Thanks so much on all the information you guys have provided me, this really helps a lot.  I want to take the time to thank each and everyone of you for your feedback and responses.

Tony - Thanks for answering each question, this helped me understand better than I did before.

Tim - Thanks for the extra assistance on the biceps.  I don't mind having the thumb print on both biceps, but it's good to know that if I wanted to remove the right one, it is possible to do so.  Also great pictures of the inside of your helmet, I hope to install these kinds of upgrades to my helmet too.  An external audio system to hear better, I'm glad you mentioned this, because I never thought about that.

Mathias - Providing us with a little bit of extra knowledge on biceps.  Thanks

Mark - Good to know about the type of plastic 80 gauge ABS compared to other types.  As for the detail, I thought it was strange too hearing that it might have soft detail, after checking pictures and building posts and seeing no such detail lost.  Even the images you have just provided here have no soft detail.  It all looks soooooo good, can't wait to get my own.  Thanks

Henry - The AP helmet dome has been sanitized (or cleaned up), I like it that way too.  I also prefer the idealised version myself, without the bumpy texture, but still maintaining the accuracy from the movie as you have described.  Thanks

I have seen many armors and helmets made from thinner plastic than what I use and details were not as sharp as mine, if you don't have the proper equipment or knowledge in thermoforming the lost of details and overall forming quality will be obvious.

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1