Cricket's Hero Build (deep breath, let's do this!)

Cricket

I’ve realized that I REALLY didn’t like how the tube stripes I’d painted on the right side of the bucket looked.  Instead of trying to fix them, I opted to scrub them.  Scrub them off.  Initially, sanding them off was scary, because the blue paint went all over the place.  See?

26037376644_0a590f854f.jpg

Then I took some time to sand and polish until it looked nice and clean.  Unpolished on the left, polished on the right.

26370053830_a2fa538897.jpg26037376374_4e71e632e5.jpg

I applied the stencil, pressing firmly around the edges to ensure that there would be no paint bleed.  I’ve learned that the paint will thicken up quickly if it’s left out, so I dabbed a small puddle of it on my plastic palette and waited.  I kept thinking of other ways that I could reduce possible paint bleed.  Light bulb…  Ah-HA!  I would sponge the paint on!

26643410635_a41a3273c1.jpg

A cool nail art technique I learned while involved with the nail polish world is application of nail polish using a cosmetic sponge.  You can get all sorts of cool gradient colors this way, and the effect is flawless.  So I whipped out a cosmetic sponge, cut it down to a workable size, and applied paint to one end of it.  This turns the sponge into a paint stamper with a smooth finish. 

So I made a bigger mask around the edges of the stencil because I knew it would be messy around the edges.  I dabbed the paint on in a single thin layer at a time, allowing a few minutes between coats.  

26370053220_5c38a31158.jpg26037375974_96c1cdd788.jpg

Remember, my paint dried super fast, so I was able to work quickly.  If your paint dries slowly, then you’ll need to wait until it’s completely dry or else you run the risk of sponging your paint right off the ABS (the paint can get sticky).  I only needed three layers.  I held my breath as I removed all of the masking material and stencil.  Would this work???

26643410035_58af9e019a_b.jpg

YAAASSS!!!

26643372445_04b994d950_b.jpg

The entire process took me less than 15 minutes, and the resulting lines are sharp and clear.  It’s an airbrushed look, but without the airbrush.

I like how this turned out so much that I’m considering sanding off the hand painted tubes on the left side of my bucket and reapplying them using this technique.  I feel like I’ve discovered a new continent! 

But tell me: surely I can’t have been the only one who has done this technique for tube stripes?

Edited by Cricket
  • Like 7

If I were you as you did the last one so quickly I'd seriously consider re-doing the other side, not only as it gets a good result but it will get rid of the "texture" mentioned earlier and both sides will match...

Excellent technique though...

that's no moon, Kim Kardashian is bending over again...

• Like 1

Amazing! I don't know what I am more impressed by. The fact that you have a one micron polishing sheet or the fact that you just sponge painted your tube stripes on! So awesome. What paint are you using?

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away on a much needed vacation for the past two weeks, so not much progress on my lid has been done.  I had two whole days over at Disneyland, and most of that time was spent with my kids in Tomorrowland checking out all the Star Wars stuff.  The blue milk bread was delicious.  I met Kylo Ren... that was a seriously intense Meet-and-Greet.  I could have sworn that it was Adam Driver in there.  Very, very accurate, menacing, intimidating... wow.   I need more TK training, methinks!  I had to go hug a wookie afterwords at the Chewbacca Meet-and-Greet to get the heebie-jeebies off me.  So now I'm back home, and ready to get busy with my TK!

Some little things were accomplished though before I left, namely placing my order for a Hero kit from Troopermaster.  Super excited about this!  I'm even having Paul build my helmet, so I'll be left to focusing on the armor itself.  

And I'm happy waiting for it because I've got another little thing on the way.  For Mother's Day, my family purchased a Hyperdyne Labs E-11 Trooper Blaster Upgrade for me!!!!   :dancing-trooper: OMG, I about died when they told me about it.  I'm almost as excited about this as I am my upcoming TM kit.  :)  Can't wait to get it hooked up.

Amazing! I don't know what I am more impressed by. The fact that you have a one micron polishing sheet or the fact that you just sponge painted your tube stripes on! So awesome. What paint are you using?

Haha!  Thank you!  :)  The paint I'm using is Model Master (Testor) French Blue (glossy) T53041.  It dries ridiculously fast.

• Like 2

I tried the sponge technique but it didn't work at all it left a bubbled finish with like 50 micro bubbles. <br><br>

I swapped to using a q-tip and that worked great!

• Like 2

I finally gave in and sanded off the tube stripes on the left side of the helmet (that I had so painstakingly hand painted on), just so they would match the other side.  Thanks to AWOL for the suggestion!

Before.
27117243175_91f6900ac7.jpg

Sanded off.
27117271725_0293c4ee25.jpg

Stencil applied.  Take the time to press down FIRMLY around all the edges to ensure that there are no tiny gaps for paint to seep in.  After that, repeat this step once or twice more just to be on the safe side because paint bleed sucks.
27022770752_37be74d7f3.jpg

Apply the paint with a paint brush to the sponge.  You want the sponge to be saturated, but not too much.  Too much paint on the sponge, and you’ll end up with bubbling on your tube stripes.  Thinner application of paint is best, and will give you bubble-free results.  
26843038300_013543352b.jpg

I applied 3 layers overall, with two additional layers on an area where the paint wasn’t going on as evenly as I had liked.  
27117270625_035baeee1a.jpg

I began to get impatient, and added thicker coats of paint, which resulted in some minor bubbling.  I’m not too concerned about it, though.  It still looks a gazillion times better than my prior work, so it’s a win for me.
27117270325_276973d8bd.jpg26843037250_5f7b9cc907.jpg

As my tube stripes dried, I decided to tackle my teardrop stripes (that’s what they’re called, right?), using another stencil.  
Same sponge technique.
26843037600_5072950c0d.jpg

Right side.  Two easy layers, and done.
27117269625_c57dc673d5.jpg

Left side.  This one gave me problems.  I couldn’t get the stencil to lay flat!  
27022771162_2c0172c59f.jpg

Despite trying to seal up the edges, this was my result. Gah!   :6:
27117269785_639220f77a.jpg

Not to worry, though.  The gray paint under the black stripes has cured over a few weeks, so a little thinner to clean up the stripes saved me.  The thinner doesn't do any damage to the cured paint in the amounts I use when the paint is still fairly wet.

Also, this stencil seemed to be too large in my teardrop.  I ‘erased’ the areas that bled out around the stencil as well as reduced the length of the stripes so they would look better balanced within the teardrop itself.
27022770262_455126537c.jpg

Next up: get the stripes painted onto the back of the lid.  
  • Like 3

When do you get your armor? Sometime 2017/18?

Wait, what?!  Oh, wow, I really hope it's not that long.  Do you know something I don't?  If so, please clue me in!  I was placed on ATA's list on Jan. 1 of this year, and I was told it would be an 11 month wait, so I expect to have my TK from Terrell by the end of this year.  And I sent my money to Paul for my TM TK back in April.  I asked him to build my helmet, so I know it'll take a bit longer to get the kit, but I'm expecting to have that in a few months (if not sooner).  He told me that he would be starting on my kit soon.  

In the meantime, I'm still finishing work on my ATA helmet, but taking my time on it.  I've recently plunged headfirst into a Hasbro e-11 conversion, and am adding my Hyperdyne labs upgrade.  I'll be posting a link to that build soon.  It's more fun to just focus on the build and not worry about posting my pics just yet.  :)  Thousands of tiny black plastic shards cover my workspace right now!

• Like 2

Thanks to AWOL for the suggestion!

Oooops my baaaad....

Buy you know you're happier with it now

I really need to do my stuff, but not this weekend I'm out with the bike club

beer beer we want more beer, all the lads are cheering get the blamming beer in

the force? oh I'll use the force, bring me a hammer...

• Like 1

So you're going to have a ATA and TM hero builds? 

The TM, I'm going to build for myself.  The ATA, I might end up building for my husband.  He's been really excited about watching my progress with the helmet (and now the blaster).   I have a strong feeling that he's gonna want a TK for himself once mine is built!  If he doesn't want it, then I'll make the ATA into a Sandy (even if I have to mod the Hero lid I'm working on).  :)

I don't know any  inside information. I just know ATA's wait times are ridiculous. So you're going to have a ATA and TM hero builds? 

definitely one hell of a wait; mine took 10 months; originally when i first placed it the wait was 6-8 months. 

i seems like it just keeps getting longer and longer.

Terrell needs to get some interns to make up for all these orders lol. I love his armor though, its worth the wait.

• Like 1

Hey Troopers!  

In case anyone wants to follow my Hasbro blaster upgrade build, I've posted it here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/37445-hasbro-doopy-conversion-w-hyperdyne-labs-upgrade-pewpewpew/

Have a good weekend!

• 4 weeks later...

Now that I’ve completed the electronics in my blaster, I have shifted back to wrapping up my bucket. 

Using a stencil purchased from Trooperbay, I sponged on the stripes on the back of the helmet.  Easy, easy, easy.  It took me less than 15 minutes, and I didn’t even need to do any cleanup work for these.

27714497392_35994bb97f.jpg27714497172_3d6d69f9df.jpg

Here are some pics of the completed paint job.

27714496332_ec71e4c6e9.jpg27714495822_ce08346055.jpg

27714495562_155010e16d.jpg27203498794_ed1d5b91cf.jpg 27714494892_ae01db24b1.jpg

I made some grill thingies to hold the black mesh around the frown.  I can’t remember which thread I found this idea on, sorry!  In hindsight, I would opt to make one large piece versus two smaller ones.  Trying to fit these in was a pain.

27714489102_e886e38a79.jpg27714488782_6c1901508b.jpg

27714487072_5ddb2afaac.jpg

I tried to install bubble lenses using Velcro, and I just didn’t like how they were sitting.  So I opted to use some Green Stuff and make some screw posts so I could easily swap them with flat lenses.  It’s not the most beautiful setup, but it works.

27247724043_75d5d4e309.jpg27247723713_552f29717e.jpg

As they fit now, they are secure and there is enough space around the bottom edges for air flow.  I might modify the posts so the lenses fit a little more snug in the eye holes, though.   I’m on the fence about this.  Any opinions on this kind of thing would be appreciated!

27247721933_65c8d23849.jpg

And the finished lid!  I still have to get the s-trim applied on the bottom, but that’s a minor thing. 

27783722541_4fdf8e1b3e.jpg27247722153_e60bfca09e.jpg

27783722731_7ba902c924.jpg27247722403_6a0af9e441.jpg 

27247722533_d4f4182e71.jpg27247722733_acf93d02d4.jpg

My 6 year old decided to wear it around the house for almost an hour.  It took a lot to get it away from him!

27247722963_8f781b62af.jpg

Is it just me, or is it normal to feel a little sad once this kind of project is complete?  I’m so happy that I did this ATA Hero helmet, but I’m also bummed that it’s done.  My TM armor should be shipping soon, so for now, it’ll be a waiting game until I get to work with more white stuff.  Can’t wait to get my full TK going!  

Oh, and any suggestions to improve the looks of this lid are always welcome!  :)  

• Like 3

Great helmet job! 

No you always fell a little sad when you finish a build, the full TM will keep you busy for quite a while so enjoy the downtime while you have it! Then plan for what's next!