Tandy Line 24 Snaps on Sale, 50% Off through the end of March

w4mPPFT.jpg

Just wanted to share this with everyone.  You can get a bag of 100 snaps (in your choice of colors - I choose black, myself) for just about $33 from Tandy Leather between now and the end of March, 2016.

GREAT price on these, literally 50% off.  

Stock up on them quick!!!

• Like 4

How are these different from the much easier to find Dritz #24 heavy duty snaps? They appear to be same size plus who sees them anyway? Are they just for screen accuracy or is there s reliability issue i should know about?

Sent from my Imperial communicator using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How are these different from the much easier to find Dritz #24 heavy duty snaps? They appear to be same size plus who sees them anyway? Are they just for screen accuracy or is there s reliability issue i should know about?

Sent from my Imperial communicator using Tapatalk

Jim, these actually have nothing at all to do with accuracy and everything to do with quality/reliability/ease of installation.  

I used a lot of Dritz snaps in my initial build, and I had 20% waste during the installation because the posts didn't always hammer straight.  They'd bend, or split, leaving me with a wasted or (in the case of a badly bent one) unusable snap that had to be drilled out and replaced.  In many instances, they don't pull as tightly as would be ideal either, and after only a year and a half of trooping, there are a few of them that rattle a little bit because they've worn out and I've got one that is a little unreliable.  Not horrible as a product goes, but not perfect.

The Tandy's that I've used on three successive builds are much more user friendly in a number of ways.  If you use the Tandy snap hammer and anvil with their Line 24 Snaps, they are far more likely to set properly.  On those three successive builds, I've had a total of fewer than five snaps wasted, they always hammer into very nice installations - I have had to drill out/remove zero of them, and they don't appear to ever wear out or begin rattling because they are loose with wear.  They're as close to perfect as I've seen in using snaps, and that is why you will see most of the experienced builders tell you to use the Tandy snaps over the Dritz or other options that sometimes get thrown around.

• Like 1

As someone who's never used snaps before, I don't have any of the tools to assemble them for my armor set coming in late April. Should I buy their------- It says it comes with 20 assorted Line 24 snaps, a setter, and an anvil. I'm just wondering how this is different from getting a 10 pk of Line 24 snaps since they cost the same.

Thanks!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2016 at 4:42 AM, Tiedoll said:

As someone who's never used snaps before, I don't have any of the tools to assemble them for my armor set coming in late April. Should I buy their -------------- It says it comes with 20 assorted Line 24 snaps, a setter, and an anvil. I'm just wondering how this is different from getting a 10 pk of Line 24 snaps since they cost the same.

Thanks!

I'd buy a pack of 100 at half price, and then ask the clerk for the setter and anvil. You'll want their tools, as they're made to fit the post size of their snaps. If you use double snaps for an entire TK, you'll need about 70 snaps.

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 1

Do you have any particular reason for picking a certain color?

Simply put, I think that the black ones look cool. :) There is no other reason for choosing the black ones, outside of style/preference.

I'd buy a pack of 100 at half price, and then ask the clerk for the setter and anvil. You'll want their tools, as they're made to fit the post size of their snaps. If you use double snaps for an entire TK, you'll need about 70 snaps.

The number needed surprises me. Are you using snaps instead of the Mr No Stripes brackets? Is your use of snaps significantly different than the UKSWrath Anovos build thread?

Looking at Tony's build thread, my use of snaps does indeed exceed what he used, but if you look at the first page of his build you'll see that he recommends 100ct Tandy Line 24 Snaps as well.  

When I say you'll need about 70 snaps, that is without the original strapping brackets (Mr. No Stripes), and using double snaps on every attachment, except the shoulder bridges which have four at each connection point, as that supports the entire weight of the armor.

--------------

In the photo here, you can clearly count 56 snaps (there are two more in the bottom of the butt plate so 58 in the photo), but you don't see the additional 12 (total of 70) for the chest to abdomen connections, the four used to connect each bicep to each forearm (total of 78), and the two used to connect each thigh to the garter belt (total of 82), and you're also going to have from two to four holding the belt to the abdomen armor so as many as 86 snaps are potentially used.

Now, this strapping system I installed is a very over-engineered one that will not fail during extreme trooping (jumping rope, running, diving around, ice skating, dancing, getting caught on things).  It is incredibly durable and something else to consider, I'm not "Stormtrooper-sized" and the trooper that I built the above armor for is not "Stormtrooper-sized."  We are both 6'2" and no less than 225 pounds, so we naturally can put a little more pressure and torque on the connection points, especially when engaging in shenanigans like I described above.  The trooper I built the above pircured armor for opted for a full snap installation.  My own armor has the original strapping brackets installed in it, so there are fewer snaps in my own armor.

Edited by gmrhodes13
  • Like 1

I went with single snaps at most locations (doubled at shoulder only), and I came in at ~40 snaps total. This doesn't count the several ruined when learning how to actually install them.

So, splitting a set with another trooper is a possibility... but then, you don't think you will have only ONE TK ever, do you? :D

I received my order of nickel plated snaps. They have the Tandy text on them. I called Tandy to ask about this. They said all of the new stock is this style. Will this be a problem for the visible snaps?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

This is my first build, so I could be wrong, but UKSWrath's build thread recommends ordering a bag of 15 S Poppers in addition to the Tandy snaps. I believe the S Poppers are the ones that are visible and the Tandy snaps are internal.

This is my first build, so I could be wrong, but UKSWrath's build thread recommends ordering a bag of 15 S Poppers in addition to the Tandy snaps. I believe the S Poppers are the ones that are visible and the Tandy snaps are internal.

That's right...The S Poppers he uses are for all of the ones that you can see on the armor, as well as connecting the belt to the Ab Armor.  I don't even think he uses the full 15, but that's the smallest size they come in.  They're literally about $3 for the poppers and $7 for the setter.  I'll be picking those up in addition to my Line 24's.

• 4 weeks later...

If anybody is interested they are on sale again both online and in the store. I just picked up enough for my build at the local store here in Atlanta and yes, they say Tandy on the bottom!?!

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know if these have a pattern of going on sale? I messed up some of my snaps and need to get more, but they're back to $10/10pack and I'd love to get them on sale. 

Also, maybe some of you have extra lying around you don't need? I'd be happy to buy them off you :)

• 4 weeks later...