Rubies E-11 build

humperdingle

So in the absence of Doopydoos full kits, or much else for that matter, in the UK, i've ordered another Rubies E-11 blaster (£23 on Amazon).

This time, instead of plugging the screw holes (badly), i'll dismantle the Rubies and attempt to do things a bit better.

Below are a couple of pics of my current Rubies, which has had a few mods, but has been more of a sandbox experiment.

I'll start the new build when the new Rubies arrives.

9GCwFWq.jpg

O1LYaN0.jpg

Opening-up the blaster was a bit trickier than I anticipated. Despite the fact 3 of the 8 screws were missing (?), the two sides were stuck together pretty well, even with all screws removed.

Almost had an early disaster trying to seperate them, especially round the handle area.

0cvnvpx.jpg

Drilled the lower holes out. Bit raggedy, as it happens! And cut a piece of cardboard tube. A coat of black paint on the innards, as I may drill-out the scope to install lenses.

J5K1ZXY.jpg

2saVMcX.jpg

Hello, just curious, what are you using as filler?

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Hi, just some kind of sanitary sealant stuff I had in the garage. Was gonna use plasticine or modelling clay, but It would have been an extra expense. It's fairly dense, so adds a decent bit of weight. (Filled the tubes with it, too.

• Like 1

Excellent! I purchased a hyperfirm (sorry don't mean to throw salt in the wound) but love seeing you guys turn these blasters into decent fun props. I will end up doing a build like this myself because it seems like tons of fun and forgiving as well. Great learning experience.

Excellent! I purchased a hyperfirm (sorry don't mean to throw salt in the wound) but love seeing you guys turn these blasters into decent fun props. I will end up doing a build like this myself because it seems like tons of fun and forgiving as well. Great learning experience.

They are fun. Usually. I spent ages sanding the edges of this one, filling it, then re-sanding. The filler just seems too brittle for this (Squadron white putty).

Anyway, i'll see what I can do with the joins, but it's not looking great just now.

• Like 2

Looking really good. I picked one of these up last year and have it sitting on the bench. The 2 halves were joined horribly and it's very lightweight. I'll be following along with your build. Keep up the great work! CFf9DOp.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457829854.711786.jpg

On 3/13/2016 at 8:44 AM, Griffin-X said:

Looking really good. I picked one of these up last year and have it sitting on the bench. The 2 halves were joined horribly and it's very lightweight. I'll be following along with your build. Keep up the great work! attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1457829854.711786.jpg

Problem with the joins, is the flexibility of the blaster's material. If I were to do another, i'd do all the internal stuff -filling etc- But before closing, i'd run a bead of glue all around the join. This would prevent it moving about, and should make the sanding/filling much more successful.

So I made the little magazine cap. Glued and screwed, but I think it should be a recessed round part, not a screw. I might at least fill in the screw head, leaving it a dome.

1Jw9TA8.jpg

Then started sanding down the T-Tracks with the 40mm drum sander attachment.

S6VjLLy.jpg

Thought i'd prime and paint the blaster, then go back and sand the joins again.

Here are the front tracks and magazine cap for now, though. The tracks might get another sanding, too:
u9lccRs.jpg
Added a strip of sticky label to bolt (will be given a bit of silver paint)

jxMa8ET.jpg

It's not until you've painted something, that you notice all the bits that STILL need sanded :D
  • Like 1

So I made the little magazine cap. Glued and screwed, but I think it should be a recessed round part, not a screw. I might at least fill in the screw head, leaving it a dome.

I've seen this fix on a kit somewhere, what to do is take out the screw, increase the hole to 5mm, get a small plastic box like a pez dispenser a small bit of sponge and a 5mm led, open it so you can get to the inside of the Mag, cut the pez dispenser to about 2cm (the bottom of it) the put the led through the hole from the inside, put the sponge in your little plastic box then glue it on the inside over the led so it holds it in place buy can be pushed as a button from the outside...

if it works kick it, if it doesn't work kick it till it does...

I've seen this fix on a kit somewhere, what to do is take out the screw, increase the hole to 5mm, get a small plastic box like a pez dispenser a small bit of sponge and a 5mm led, open it so you can get to the inside of the Mag, cut the pez dispenser to about 2cm (the bottom of it) the put the led through the hole from the inside, put the sponge in your little plastic box then glue it on the inside over the led so it holds it in place buy can be pushed as a button from the outside...

Cheers, sounds do-able. Maybe on a future pipe build.

You're really making some awesome progress on this blaster. Very nice!

Thanks mate - much appreciated.

How many blasters do you need? Lol...

It's more a question of "How many blasters do I want?" :D

I just like the E-11, bud - it's fun making something from nothing, no matter how ugly it is :)

Besides, I still have a few feet of 40mm pipe to use up :D

Constructed some power cells in my standard "Let's see what's lying around", way.

Made of a felt tip pen, a long electrical screw, a couple of nyloc nuts and cut-up metal brackets. 
I need to tidy up the brackets, but this was a test fit.
uMq3s2p.jpg

On 3/14/2016 at 12:12 AM, humperdingle said:

Constructed some power cells in my standard "Let's see what's lying around", way.

Made of a felt tip pen, a long electrical screw, a couple of nyloc nuts and cut-up metal brackets.

I need to tidy up the brackets, but this was a test fit.

Love the "let's see what's lying around" attitude, that's how about of this got done...

Screenshot_2015-09-23-09-15-21_zpsau7q2j

But anyhoo the blaster is coming along well, you don't hang around do you...

• 4 weeks later...

So on your advice I popped my untouched blaster into the freezer for a couple nights and it pulled open like butter, with a little bit of help from a dull knife, but it put up absolutely no fight this time.  I'd worked on opening this thing for hours and managed to only open the top of the barrel, after freezing?  I opened the entire rest of it in 5 minutes.

• Like 1