ESB glove/handplate attachment

Lodril

I'm looking at doing the satin gloves with the plates sewn on, because why not.  I've seen the pattern of the holes, since someone helpfully posted that earlier, but someone else also mentioned that it was a major pain to sew them together.  Is there any advice out there for getting these set up that way?  Are there pics of how big the holes are, and how thick the thread running through them is supposed to be?

Any advice on that setup would be welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Research is the worst... it always just turns up more problems!  The gentlemen at the link above, as well as others I've seen, set up the gloves like this:

IMG_7506.JPG

Note the more arcuate curve is nearest the thumb, and the placement of the holes.

That curvature seemed awkward to me, so I wanted to doublecheck it, and sure enough I came across this:

ZPMGkFS.jpg

Note on the left hand trooper that the more arcuate curve faces the pinky, rather than the thumb... but also note the plethora of holes.  It looks like he has 7 pairs of holes drilled into the handplate, but on three pair of holes have thread through them.  His buddy on the right seems to be missing the extra holes.

The guy on the left also seems to have a rivet on the top of his chestplate, a crack on the bottom, and his belt is falling off, so maybe he's not the best role model. :)

Any suggestions?

I'm the author of the Team Build ESB Hand Plate Installation.   I see you visited our build page and presented our images.

I posted our recipe and tutorial to help everyone understand what we did and how we did it.

I updated our build page with new pictures and information.  

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/33467-team-armor-build-ne-esb-in-northern-california/?p=480739

Edited by Haribon72
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

So it looks like, after scanning through a bunch of screenshots, the only clear reference to the 5-point setup is the guy on the left, who actually has 7 sets of holes, but only three sewn in.  The guys in the carbon freeze scene may have 5 sets of holes sewn in, or it may just be I'm seeing the same suit with the extra holes, but I can't find a shot clear enough to be sure... nor anything to establish anything for the others.  There are some behind-the-scenes photos of the group sitting on some stairs, but I haven't found one clear enough to make a positive call on the handplates.  There doesn't appear to be any uniform shape to the way the handplates were cut out, either, so that may help identify troopers between scenes if anyone else wants to delve into it further.

gallery_14191_5_133734.jpg

gallery_14191_5_20407.jpg

gallery_14191_5_5097.jpg

Other than the guy with 7 sets of holes, the guy on the right in the shot above (one of the two man-handling Leia when Luke arrives) gets the clearest images in the movie, and he definitely only has 3 sets of holes.  He's also the less production-weathered looking of the two, so I'm going to follow his example and just go with the 3 sets... that way, regardless of what was going on in the carbon freeze chamber or anywhere else I can't get a clear shot, I know it'll be screen accurate to at least this one dude. :)

Three makes sense from a production standpoint, since (according to all the build threads I've seen) sewing these on is a pain.  I suspect 3 may have been the default after they tried 5 on the first guy there and decided it was a pain.  I'm not sure how it'll hold up to trooping, so I'll slip some Velcro under there for added security.

Edited by Lodril