A question regarding SDS 501st basic approval

For some people, i'd agree. I'm just not confident enough in my abilities, to start cutting-up my armour :(

Why not reach out to the Garrison's armour gurus for help? Trooper helping trooper is what white armour is all about and trooper helping nontrooper become trooper paramount to that. No need to go it alone.

Why not reach out to the Garrison's armour gurus for help? Trooper helping trooper is what white armour is all about and trooper helping nontrooper become trooper paramount to that. No need to go it alone.

Yeah, i'll have a think about that route. Mind you, having a virtual stranger butcher my armour doesn't seem too appealing either lol

Just start with something you may feel your comfortable tackling. Like the biceps.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Came across this video just now - "Keith Moss" of the Singapore 501st, showing how to put armour on. Seems to be a pretty much unmodified SDS kit - Even still has the white plastic clip on the TD, but has canvas belt. All leg pieces are velcro. Weird that they wouldn't have at least a basic approval kit for the video? Or have things changed since the video?

Came across this video just now - "Keith Moss" of the Singapore 501st, showing how to put armour on. Seems to be a pretty much unmodified SDS kit - Even still has the white plastic clip on the TD, but has canvas belt. All leg pieces are velcro. Weird that they wouldn't have at least a basic approval kit for the video? Or have things changed since the video?

http://youtu.be/jmLkgWvtlEk

Is that an old video or is it recent? I know criteria does change from time to time as my older armour is still clearable but the lid from the same kit isn't.

Is that an old video or is it recent? I know criteria does change from time to time as my older armour is still clearable but the lid from the same kit isn't.

Just looking at the comments, the oldest one was about 6 years old, so lots of things will have changed, I suppose.

• Like 1

I have a SDS I bought a few years ago. Have not tried the 501st with it. I am currently building my 1st kit( Anovos ). I plan to use my experience with this build to carry over to the SDS. Until then, the SDS will continue to stair down at me while standing in my office:-)

From my understanding of the basic approval spec thighs, forearms and biceps should be "fully closed" with the additional wording of "in the back" for the thighs...

I may be wrong but it does not specify a fastening/bonding method so in reality any method should be acceptable...

If velcro is not allowed for whatever reason I think a quick fix would be to remove the velcro and simply glue the pieces together overlapped, this would eliminate the velcro joint gap completely and as the

"constructed using the butt joint and cover strip method.

Overlap construction is not allowed"

on all 3 of these parts is only relevant for centurion level this should be acceptable...

Using glue that can be undone would be recommended though...

if it works kick it, if it doesn't work kick it till it does...

Edited by AWOL

Yeah, i've been in contact with an 'armourer' on UKG. I can glue all limbs (except shins) at the rear, so i'll be doing that soon :)

It's good to see you are coming around. Just do what you're comfortable with and others will walk you through the rest. Don't have much experience myself but if you need anything give me a shout ☺

Yeah, i'll have a think about that route. Mind you, having a virtual stranger butcher my armour doesn't seem too appealing either lol

It's the ukg. Their worst armorer is pretty good. And ask for help, not just giving it up for someone else to do.

Surgery is more fun when your cutting than closing ;-)

i have a sds battle spec and all i had to change was my belt !!!!!  this is the canadian garrison !!!

the back is still velcro everything is the same, seems random that you can't get in at basic!!!

Yeh, it would be an ideal situation if the requirements were the same everywhere, but hey ho!

Actually, the changes I'm making are what i'd regard as 'common sense'. Some of the Centurion requirements (latex hand guards for example and those shin hook closures, whilst they might be more 'screen accurate', I just think look a bit... Well... Rubbish :D

Edited by humperdingle

Well, the entire point of the CRL is to standardize the requirements for the three levels of approval. So if you comply with all of the CRL points you should be approved. If you feel that anyone is being treated unfairly or being required to do something that other garrisons aren't then it needs to be brought up.

Glad you decided to stick with this and go for approval.

Well, the entire point of the CRL is to standardize the requirements for the three levels of approval. So if you comply with all of the CRL points you should be approved. If you feel that anyone is being treated unfairly or being required to do something that other garrisons aren't then it needs to be brought up.

Glad you decided to stick with this and go for approval.

I asked on the UKG forum for a list of sorts, over and above basic CRL requirements, but they're working on it, apparently.

My next job is to have 'no visible fasteners' on the sniper plate, and glue it onto shin ridge (level 2 in the CRL).

I just foresee an endless round of me putting up photos, just to be told I need to change this or the other, even when It's passable on the CRL for basic approval.

Anyway, i'm going to put up some photos of the usual poses etc, and hopefully will get some definitive points, but as far as I can see, i'd pass basic if

I lived in the US :D

• Like 1

I can totally see your frustration and if I were you I would be loosing confidence and interest too. I am not in the 501st yet and working on my Anovos kit but I don't think what the guys in the UK garrison are doing is correct. To have you make the comment that you would be approved in another garrison is unfortunate. It has become obvious that your heart is in this for all the right reasons and you are doing all things within reason to gain approval. I think someone with some authority needs to speak to the UK garrison about basic approvals.

Basic is basic no matter what garrison you are in. I am starting to see why some people have the idea that the 501st is an elitist group. To me this is not troopers helping troopers. Maybe the US garrison could make you an honorary member for approval LOL.

Edited by mikidymac

I can totally see your frustration and if I were you I would be loosing confidence and interest too. I am not in the 501st yet and working on my Anovos kit but I don't think what the guys in the UK garrison are doing is correct. To have you make the comment that you would be approved in another garrison is unfortunate. It has become obvious that your heart is in this for all the right reasons and you are doing all things within reason to gain approval. I think someone with some authority needs to speak to the UK garrison about basic approvals.

Basic is basic no matter what garrison you are in. I am starting to see why some people have the idea that the 501st is an elitist group. To me this is not troopers helping troopers. Maybe the US garrison could make you an honorary member for approval LOL.

Lol, I like your style :D

No, I must admit, all of the changes i've been required to make really do make the SDS outfit look better, but not sure where the line is drawn. It's a squiggly line at the moment. I've compiled a snagging list of things i've had to do, which might be useful for others in the same position as me (i.e. An SDS owner), and i'll post it on this forum as well as UKG.

I'm hoping there isn't much left to do!

An ongoing list of jobs i've needed to do for (UKG) 501st basic approval here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/36274-sds-shepperton-design-studios-snagging-list-ukg-501st/

LdSX2QF.jpgJust an update on this thread...

My "Work in progress" thread over on the UKG has been running for a while ( I suppose the same as a 'build thread', on here.

I'm getting there, slowly but surely. Some things like glueing and coverstrips on the limbs make a huge difference.

Here are a couple of pics to let you see how the dreaded SDS armour is looking... A couple of changes were made after these pics, like removing cover strips off the shin ridges, but hopefully I'm not far away :)

uci5CJn.jpg

wDZ3ubD.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

Nice to see you're still plodding along with it, looks good to me...

Question I have is how did you reshape the thigh ammo plate?

I saw the original on your wip thread and am buggered if I can figure out how you would get the top 90° angles...

Good work fella...

Just unscrewed the clips. Tried removing the end caps but they're going nowhere! Also tried to tap them on a bit more, but they're stuck fast.

Regarding this, try putting it in the oven and warm it gently, very gently, it should make the glue tacky enabling it to come apart...

Nice to see you're still plodding along with it, looks good to me...
Question I have is how did you reshape the thigh ammo plate? 
I saw the original on your wip thread and am buggered if I can figure out how you would get the top 90° angles...
Good work fella...

How did I remove the top rounded part?
There was a bit of extra meat on the plate, so I took the ends back as far as reasonably possible, reshaped and drilled new holes for connecting. Bit scary.

Regarding this, try putting it in the oven and warm it gently, very gently, it should make the glue tacky enabling it to come apart...

I thought about heating it, mate, but I suspect SDS use a weld solvent, rather than adhesive. It'll get through basic UKG, which is all I need. But if I do get an RS kit, i'd probably feel brave enough to experiment :D