ColScratch's ANH -TK Stunt -ANOVOS Build

ColScratch

Howdy all!

This will be my first build thread and as such I'm going to try and include plenty of photos and explanations of my thought process both for future builders and in the hopes that any mistakes can be corrected along the way. Once I start building I will try to adhere to Centurion (L3) guidelines for ANH Stunt wherever possible so that should I decide to aim for it down the line there will be fewer fixes to make. However the main goal with this armor is to have useable, comfortable and troop-able armor as I fully intend to troop whenever possible. Right now I am gathering all the little extras (e600, rivets etc) so once I start building I can finish without waiting on the mailman. I photographed and cataloged the kit as it came from Anovos, the album on imgur can be seen here: http://imgur.com/a/KUePj?

-Nick

xnvUCmX.jpg

Everything that was supplied by ANOVOS. In each of the following parts photos I have labeled the parts based on ANOVOS materials & stickers already on the individual armor pieces. I understand there may have been a few mix-ups, so I will later verify that each part is as labeled. I know not all the part numbers are visible, but in general I moved left to right top to bottom when placing for the following photos (not the case in this photo).

Nf7N9b9.jpg

Helmet- pre-built by ANOVOS.

xM5ae7b.jpg

2- Chest plate
3- Lower Adomen/ Codpiece

8DIDNH9.jpg

4- (2x) Shoulder Strap 
5- Back Plate
6- Lower Kidney plate
7- Butt Plate

ObOSgQX.jpg

8- Belt & Holster
9- Detonator Tube, Wrap, Caps & Clips
10- (L) Shoulder
11- ® Shoulder
12- (L) Bicep Inside
13- (L) Bicep Inside

YQCtZuE.jpg

14- (L) Bicep Outside
15- ® Bicep Outside
16- (L) Forearm Outside
17- ® Forearm Outside
18- (L) Forearm Inside
19- ® Forearm Inside
20- ® Thigh Outside
21- ® Thigh Inside
22- (L) Thigh Outside
23- (L) Thigh Inside

suvcoC8.jpg

24- ® Calf Outside
25- ® Calf Inside
26- ® Knee Guard
27- (L) Calf Outside
28- (L) Calf Inside
29- (L) Knee Guard
30- Large Button Plate
31- Small Button Plate
32- (L) Hand Plate
33- ® Hand Plate

OHWgX6G.jpg

34- Neckseal

Undersuit

Gloves

I7pNlUK.jpg

Fastners & Strapping

Edited by ColScratch

Started trimming a few pieces. I decided to go very slowly until I find a method I like. I find that I sometimes work too quickly and will make mistakes when cutting with razors, so I'm trying out a new method of slow, relaxed and low-pressure scoring utilizing many passes with the blade. I have to say I am not a fan of the blade not creating a perfectly straight line. I honestly haven't even tried to follow a metal ruler yet... not... sure... why... D'oh!

-Nick 

R54jrHu.jpg

I forgot to add in my original post that I had already purchased my boots and blaster in anticipation of a kit about 4-5 years ago.

Tk Boots -www.tkboots.com

Blaster - Bought years ago on Ebay. I think it's a Hasbro modified with a kit (maybe Droopy-Doo's?)

ni4p78a.jpg

Trimmed Right hand plate, I just used to the blades shown in the picture. For the most part it was light scoring until I could just cut completely, following the score line. Snapping makes me leary because it's hard to control where the stress is being inputted into the plastic. 

HCRMr8d.jpg

Trimmed Left hand plate. Same method as above, I tried various methods for holding the blade, the knife and it all felt a little shaky and imprecise. [ I am considering mounting a razor blade in a vice and using it like a table saw. The plan would be to score the ABS several times and then use the score marks as a cut line, since the blade naturally wants to follow the score line. Proper cut-proof gloves would be vital here]

QOMIkaN.jpg

I tried using some tin snips in addition to the razor blade. I wasn't a fan of these snips as the "teeth" are too large.

Just a few more trimmed up pieces for today. I'm trying to really take my time and make several lights cuts to minimize overcutting and mistakes, which is tiresome on my hands.

-Nick

5BUo5ix.jpg

(L) Bicep Outside

I used the metal ruler as a guide for long straights, but it's probably best to paper-tape (masking tape/ painter's tape) it in place first.

gsXJ3ja.jpg

( R ) Bicep Outside

Trimmed using a box-cutter I got from my grandfather. Definitely the perfect scoring tool, when used in conjunction with cut-resistant gloves.

r0PuizB.jpg

(L) Bicep Inside

Trimmed by scoring several times with minimal pressure, then cut through completely with the blade following the score marks.

DJNqMfR.jpg

( R ) Bicep Inside

Trimmed. I should mention I've kept the protective coating on the outside of the armor until I plan on gluing, just keeping the outside of the armor nice and fresh. I also have been using a Pilot G7 (best pens ever) to lightly trace the trim lines so I can see them more clearly. 

*Edit* Adding a few more trimmed pieces for today.

YJgHFAW.jpg

(L) Calf Inside

This is probably it for today, my finger is still numb.

KAIZIEI.jpg

(L) Calf Outside

I should added I abandoned the Pilot G7 as a pen and am now using a fine tip sharpie (A much easier to use choice). 

5rslsna.jpg

( R ) Calf Outside

All trimmed up!

4vZvKHS.jpg

( R ) Calf Inside

My right index finger is numb from applying pressure for so long.

Edited by ColScratch

Don't think I've seen anyone cut out their armor like that from the mold before. Just don't throw away all those scraps!

How do you mean? I'm following the trim lines embedded in the ABS. I thought it would be best to minimize the cuts incase I needed to make shims, I'd already have pieces that lined up with each edge of each piece (so I'm definitely not throwing anything away). 

-Nick

Edited by ColScratch

Didn't mean that in a bad way. Just haven't seen it cut out in one continual piece before. Usually it's broken into several smaller sections. That's a good way to think ahead though!

There was a time I wish I'd trimmed by cutting out large, continual pieces. I needed to add a shim to lengthen the ab plate (I'm 6'4"). Didn't have a scrap that was long/wide enough. Ended up having to grab a new sheet of ABS plastic from a friend (thankfully the color was very close). But I wish I'd trimmed some of the larger pieces without breaking the scrap into smaller pieces. My sense is your process will come back to reward you. :-)

There was a time I wish I'd trimmed by cutting out large, continual pieces. I needed to add a shim to lengthen the ab plate (I'm 6'4"). Didn't have a scrap that was long/wide enough. Ended up having to grab a new sheet of ABS plastic from a friend (thankfully the color was very close). But I wish I'd trimmed some of the larger pieces without breaking the scrap into smaller pieces. My sense is your process will come back to reward you. :-)

I'm 6' 2" and the problem you had is exactly what I'm afraid of and trying to prevent! Thanks!

I decided to switch to a Dremel with a metal cutting blade (only one I had on hand) and it worked brilliantly; although the separation where the cuts were made aren't nearly as clean as the meticulously razor-only cut pieces I did before. I think the time I saved was considerably worth it. I highly recommend cutting outside the trim lines because the dremel can get a little "bitey" and try and stray. I used a face shield and a respirator as well as a good pair of leather fingered gloves. On the bright side everything is now initially trimmed, and I feel much more comfortable working ABS already. Now I need to decide on a strapping system and get the necessary parts on order. I'm starting to realize I actually will be able to wear my own TK armor soon!

-Nick

TUobJDu.jpg

( R ) Thigh Inside

Still with just the razor blade.

gYFu3NI.jpg

( R ) Thigh Outside

Still with just the razor blade...

DD5qmUP.jpg

(L) Thigh Outside

Still with just the razor blade. These are the cut-resistant gloves I got, they're fantastic so far. "Kibaron" is the brandname and I got them on amazon. They run a little small, so when in doubt grab a size up.

tOshJ52.jpg

(L) Thigh Inside

Whole lot of razor blade work still...

3tU60BZ.jpg

Metal Cutting Blade & Dremel

Way better!

MSK9vtl.jpg

(L) Shoulder Bell

The dremel cuts like butter, so take your time and make sure your hand are steady to fight against the "bite" of the cutting disc.

9JgSD0A.jpg

( R ) Shoulder Bell

It's all dremel from here on out baby!

JOHPTnf.jpg

Chest Plate

Dremeled out.

yHZyuY2.jpg

Lower Abdomen/ Codpiece

I plan on separating these two piece eventually, but I will definitely do that by hand with a razor blade.

7IAIEXa.jpg

Back Plate

I like rotary tools.

spOQOmI.jpg

Lower Kidney Plate

I really like rotary tools.

sKL3DCV.jpg

( R ) Forearm Inside

I seriously, really like rotary tools.

riLIOQd.jpg

Butt Plate

It's to cover my butt!

m27cZEI.jpg

( R ) Forearm Outside

Get a dremel.

GKiLFYK.jpg

(L) Forearm Inside

Or similar rotary tool.

ZVenlns.jpg

(L) Forearm Outside

Practice on extra ABS.

uor8OrG.jpg

(L) Knee Guard

You'll thank me later.

K2rJ9Ug.jpg

Shoulder Straps

But take your time.

aMAJA4O.jpg

Button Plates

All trimmed! 

bK2ZrCm.jpg

Mask, Gloves and Faceshield.

I really should be wearing protective glasses under the faceshield, the ABS "dust" gets everywhere.

You're doing great! Don't you just love the smell of ABS in the evening?

Thanks man! Nothing like a nose full of plastic to help you displace a few unwanted brain-cells, right? I really can't be happier, I've been waiting to build my own kit for well over a decade. Now I just need to fit everything to size.

• Like 1