Marvinrobot

A different way to wear your lower armor

I mengtioned this mod months ago and now I finally got around to taking some pics. Here is the basic description. In order to adress the many issues I had with my FX suit and getting it to sit on me correctly in order to gain Elite status I came up with the configuration below. I took a nautilus weight bearing belt and added two snaps to it. On the kidney plate I used to pieces of ABS with the other side of the snap button and glued them in the center. So the kidney plate attaches to the nautilus belt. The tail section hangs off the kidney plate but I needed to address my lack of backside. I got this tip from Daetrin and I attached an elastic strap on each side of the tail and attached velcro hook pieces to it. Since the nautilus belt is all velcro fuzz on the front this is a perfect solution. This mod also lets me put on my leg armor more easily since I do not actually need to put on the front lower ab in order to attach my thighs. That is to say I hang my thighs using velcro off the nautilu belt. Once this is all in place, I attach the lower ab to the tail with an elastic strap with snap button and then attach the attach the lower ab to the nautilus belt with hook velcro. The lower ab is also attached to the sides that connect the kidney plate to the front. I know this seems a bit rambling but hopefully the photos make it clear. Let me know if you have any question.

gallery_1119_92_70558.jpg

gallery_1119_92_37369.jpg

gallery_1119_92_22424.jpg

gallery_1119_92_22198.jpg

That's certainly an interesting way to do it :)

What about the regular set up was not fitting properly? I myself have some trouble finding the right fit, particularly in the way the chest hangs. It doesn't help that I'm about 210, 6'. I can see that this would help ensure a good, stable fit for the side plates and the front.

Do you find that any of the weight is dispersed differently? It still looks like it's all on your shoulders, but with the belt maybe it helps out?

I'm all about trying to get my AFX to fit as comfortably as possible and would love to know how this fits and what problem it helped solve.

Thanks,

Phil

I've heard of this mod, but never seen pictures. That's really cool, could be helpful to some of the smaller sized troopers or even some of the cold weather troops as an added layer of protection.

Actually the shoulder straps bear no real weight because I sinch down the belt around my waist. This 98% of the weight bearing on the belt itself. Using this system, the lower armor fits like a glove, I have no shifting, it feels like it's a part of me (cliche like but true). As for the regular set up I did not like the shifting of the lower armor during troops. Eventually it felt like either my holster was pulling it dow or the thighs joined in to make it lopsided. This rig is 100% stable for me. I think bigger troopers can also benefit like I do from the form shaping ability of the belt (it helps keep the pooch in).

That's a neat idea. I have a small butt and had to put some foam in the butt plate to get it to look right.

you whiny little babies, "I have a small butt" and "my armor is falling off of me" lol j/k

Man I can't wait to drop 20 lbs or so :)

AAnyways...

That does make sense, I was worried that adhering the ab to your stomach might emphasize the pooch, but putting it like that, that the belt itself keeps it in, sounds reasonable. It's basically a black girdle that you can attach your armor to :)

I'll think about this one. I may not have my TB done before SDCC and am looking to make my TK as comfortable as possible for the con.

hmmm... interesting...

i know i need to do something to improve how these pieces fit... not a bad idea... might want to try it!!

I'm going to attempt this with mine this weekend. On the lower ab piece, what are those two snaps for? To attach the side gap pieces? If so, can you show how you did that in conjunction with the belt? The lower ab is only connect by the velco?

Thanks for the idea!

DD.

Sorry for resurrecting an old one here, but I´ve tried locating a webshop selling this belt.

If anyone has a link, I´d appreciate it.

I love this mod... may have to do this on mine sometime.

I like feeling like I'm securely "IN" my armor when wearing it... and this would do it!

Did this mod myself a few weeks ago. Works well, just make sure you upsize the belt you are getting as these are meant to support your back when picking up heavy objects. So constant wear is not recommended, that way it isn't putting too much stress on the back (plus you don't want to feel like you are sucking in your gut constantly). I've tied in the garters for the thighs as suggested and seem to work, however I may change from elastic to webbing, the thighs bounce too much still.

Good mod though.

DD.

ok so like can some one break this down even more for me? i get what he is saying that this helps the smaller troopers keep thins looking like they should but im just not exactly sure where and how everything is attached if anyone could help me with this i would greatly appreciate it

however I may change from elastic to webbing, the thighs bounce too much still.

DD.

you definitely want nylon webbing and NOT elastic for that.