How to make ABS helmet thicker......

Hey up chaps!

Is there anybody here who's had to thicken up a thin lid from the inside? I have a quite a nice new lid but it's very thin in places, ie the under cut and areator areas.

Is there any product out there that I could sprayin or apply and let it set hard to make this a bit stonger?

Thanks in advance!

Hey up chaps!

Is there anybody here who's had to thicken up a thin lid from the inside? I have a quite a nice new lid but it's very thin in places, ie the under cut and areator areas.

Is there any product out there that I could sprayin or apply and let it set hard to make this a bit stonger?

Thanks in advance!

I've heard of people layering fiberglass on the inside of the helmets....

Fiberglass is the method of choice by most as is a spray on truck be liner. Most important is that these applications create heat. My suggestion would be a trial section on something other than a helmet. I'd also perform in a cold environment to minimize the heat build up.

Hey up, er Glen,

You could try epoxy as an option to strengthen it. :huh:

There is also a great thread on a helmet conversion somewhere around here, that suggest's super glue & an old T-shirt layered around the thin section's, although I have never personally tried this.

just to give you a couple more option's to think about :)

Good Luck

Have you worked with that two part 10LB rigid Polyurethane foam? Brush some on the areas that are thin to give it some sturdiness? I'n not how it will work in the helmet, test it on something else firs

J

Glenos the Great said:
Hey up chaps!

Thanks in advance!