FOTK CRL Edit Proposition.

Felt it a good time to jump in here;  not related to the seams, but it is related to the CRL. 

As I start to build my kit, if I go cloth gaskets, will that pass the 'rubber or shiny black material' criteria?  Not sure how shiny cloth gaskets are looking for everyone.  Happy to go rubber if that is what it takes for approval, but dont want to have to buy two sets. 

Thanks guys. 

Wyatt's gasket especially are pretty shiny and I believe people have been approved in them.

• Like 3

I personally would like to know a little history behind the this particular armor that is in question. Who's the builder and how was it crafted, and why aren't they here defending their armor. Just a few questions

• Like 1

Mrs. Wyatt's (she makes them, not him) are considered OK for base 501st approval, but will not be for Centurion. Honestly having worn both cloth & rubber I'm on the fence on EI, as the rubber gaskets are a real pain in the backside to put on/off.

Unless I am missing something, the suit is perfectly fine for 501st acceptance. Are the French suits perfect? No, but neither are ANOVOS yet we allow them too. :)

What we are discussing is construction and seam lines. Clones even though made from ABS all have to be painted to be seamless.

Germain - the yoke after ABS paste in the photo looks pretty seamless at least on my laptop. Is there another angle? If it looks as good as I think it seems a non-issue. The biceps we see a seam in the movies, so I think that is fine.

What it would really come down is to the ab & TD. The TD has no seams in the movie so is a tough sell, as it's pretty visible that there are on seams. Also, the TD is a huge PITA to make, and there are many efforts to simplify the design, which I think will also re-inforce the idea of seamless as better replicas come out.

The ab is covered a lot by the chest/back, so for myself at least I think I'd be fine with base acceptance, but certainly not at EI/Centurion levels.

My $.02...

• Like 1

On 3/2/2016 at 10:23 PM, Daetrin said:

Germain - the yoke after ABS paste in the photo looks pretty seamless at least on my laptop. Is there another angle? If it looks as good as I think it seems a non-issue. The biceps we see a seam in the movies, so I think that is fine.

What it would really come down is to the ab & TD. The TD has no seams in the movie so is a tough sell, as it's pretty visible that there are on seams. Also, the TD is a huge PITA to make, and there are many efforts to simplify the design, which I think will also re-inforce the idea of seamless as better replicas come out.

The ab is covered a lot by the chest/back, so for myself at least I think I'd be fine with base acceptance, but certainly not at EI/Centurion levels.

All the other pictures I have of the back and yoke junction aren't as good as the ones I already posted. 

I guess the seams on the abdomen and thermal detonator are indeed the biggest pills to swallow. For the detonator, here again most have done some ABS paste work to smooth things out a bit.

-----------------

But honestly, I feel like at this point i have thoroughly explained my point of view and illustrated it with pictures. Not much else I can do to convince people.

On 3/2/2016 at 9:50 PM, ukswrath said:

I personally would like to know a little history behind the this particular armor that is in question. Who's the builder and how was it crafted, and why aren't they here defending their armor. Just a few questions

Off topic.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

All the other pictures I have of the back and yoke junction aren't as good as the ones I already posted. 

I guess the seams on the abdomen and thermal detonator are indeed the biggest pills to swallow. For the detonator, here again most have done some ABS paste work to smooth things out a bit.

But honestly, I feel like at this point i have thoroughly explained my point of view and illustrated it with pictures. Not much else I can do to convince people.

Off topic.

Well Germain we do live in a democratic society, well most of us do, you've stated your case and it will be reviewed. Just because you say something should be, doesn't mean it will.   

As for my question, I believe it does have some significance being I was recently informed there was recast Anovos FOTK floating around and wanted to extinguish any rumors this could be it.    

Being one of the recent approved FO troopers from a fan build kit, (not Anovos) and in the first 130 or so approved. I agree to disagree on some of these seamless parts.

It was a tough build to start with, looking at so many reference photos, going back and forth with the CRLs and what was actually shown in images from the movie set. To see how some parts were seamless and some are not, even the construction on some of these parts have to be built a certain way. Which i think if you are going to build it to a high standard or as accurate as possible, its easy to take that extra step to make it fully seamless.

For instance the back yoke is 2 pieces with a bridge to join the parts together, the only real way to get them connected and  movie accurate is to make the back yoke/ram horns seamless.

Now for The biceps I scratched my head a few times looking at the CRLs and the images from the movie set / screen shots and you can plain out notice there is seams, so each individual arms could fit in the armor. But when building the set of armor I took the extra step and made them fully seamless to match CRL level. But I do agree this issue should be addressed and changed.

As for the Ab section, to be more accurate make it seamless, It just looks more professional and matches what was on screen.

Now for the dreaded TD. The way it is design there really is no way to make this not seamless. As those that know -- who have built the TD. It is a real struggle to get the thing together correctly, sometimes you really have to sand down and trim the thing to make it work properly. Which in turn makes more area to fill, smooth, and patch, after all that clean up and some filler primer The TD is pretty much seamless finished.

Now we await the Phasma, and Elite CRLs... 

Being one of the recent approved FO troopers from a fan build kit, (not Anovos) and in the first 130 or so approved. I agree to disagree on some of these seamless parts.

It was a tough build to start with, looking at so many reference photos, going back and forth with the CRLs and what was actually shown in images from the movie set. To see how some parts were seamless and some are not, even the construction on some of these parts have to be built a certain way. Which i think if you are going to build it to a high standard or as accurate as possible, its easy to take that extra step to make it fully seamless.

For instance the back yoke is 2 pieces with a bridge to join the parts together, the only real way to get them connected and  movie accurate is to make the back yoke/ram horns seamless.

Now for The biceps I scratched my head a few times looking at the CRLs and the images from the movie set / screen shots and you can plain out notice there is seams, so each individual arms could fit in the armor. But when building the set of armor I took the extra step and made them fully seamless to match CRL level. But I do agree this issue should be addressed and changed.

As for the Ab section, to be more accurate make it seamless, It just looks more professional and matches what was on screen.

Now for the dreaded TD. The way it is design there really is no way to make this not seamless. As those that know -- who have built the TD. It is a real struggle to get the thing together correctly, sometimes you really have to sand down and trim the thing to make it work properly. Which in turn makes more area to fill, smooth, and patch, after all that clean up and some filler primer The TD is pretty much seamless finished.

Now we await the Phasma, and Elite CRLs... 

That's a good call. The way I see it, the only open seams were on the biceps and forearms. 

I can't imagine spending that much money, then doing the bare minimum to my kit. If you have the skills, use them. Furthermore, if you do not paint it, it will just yellow over time. Cheaper plastic will yellow fast.

If you choose to build a fotk you choose to fill seams. If you choose to build a a clone you choose to fill seams. If you choose to build a gammy you choose to sweat to death and realistically paint green piggy flesh. If you choose...there's no need to alter a crl build by the original builders of the costumes to the same spec to make it easier for people using third party suits or just not wanting to do the work.

• Like 1