Review of Jimmiroquai FOTK Armor

TK5492

• 2 weeks later...

I have now searched for this exact text in the group and no results came up. So either this is from a different fb group (anovos maybe?) or somewhere else.

Also i would like to add that the active builders, who share their builds in the fb group, also do so here on the white armor forums, most notable this very thread and also evins and dynamic1's, which have been, combined with ukswraths legendary tfa tk thread, a major source of info on this build. The fb group serves as a way to get the fast answers on questions (with a laser-sharp focus on jimmis armor only) rather than sharing detailed build info.

Thanks for the shoutout! Dynamic1 and I have actually been comparing notes thru the build process

Here's mine (Evin): http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?/topic/36799-Jimmiraquois-First-Order-Stormtrooper-Build

And Dynamic1: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/34984-dynamic1-fo-wip/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had one but I sold it for the much needed cash. Now I wish I hadn't.

Jim's helmet looks more accurate but it's a lesser quality prop; It's thinner, it's not finished and it doesn't come with a cool looking liner or lenses. You can do all that yourself though.

The biggest difference is that a fan built prop is almost always a work in progress. Molds change to meet accuracy and the needs of the trooper, where a licensed product is "what you see is what you get", with less concern to accuracy.

Wow, thanks for the honest review.  I actually received my set from Jim yesterday, minus the helmet.  I let Jim know the body armored arrived and I am hoping that the helmet just took a slower path.  I requested to join the FB group.  

I have an Anovos helmet, been playing with padding and electronics in it.  I will use that one for the Cons and mash up's.  This set I want to use for trooping.  I like this material.  There was only one flaw in my armor, a chip in the knee cap but that will be an easy fix.  There is very little sanding I need to do with exterior, however the inside, well, I have a lot to do there.  By the way, I do not suggest trying on the pieces as it comes out of the box in shorts and a t-shirt.  I itch like crazy.  Sand, wash, dry, and then try on.  

• 1 year later...
On 2/29/2016 at 12:46 AM, Blastmaster said:

I received my Armor from Jim , and all is true, it is fantastic, I was super concerned with painting and cracking because of it's flexibility, I had worries of having to have an auto Paint shop spray it with flex bumper paint but after buying a few different Vinyl Sprays I found one that I'm going to go with, it is Dupi Color Gloss white Vinyl and fabric paint, did a test and it has a huge range of flex, here is my kit and a couple pictures of my Paint test.

Thanks,

AL

meWX1P.jpgu9vOLN.jpgGkPGcJ.jpg8KG273.jpgMsiNPo.jpg5qEYCa.jpgSaazEs.jpg

Sorry to bring up an old post like this, but how has this paint help up. It sounds like a great option. Did you add a clear coat?

Awesome review - with everything i am hearing - sounds like I made the right choice to go with Jim.  Shipping was pretty high to the US, but i wanted the best quality armor that I will enjoy for years to come and i feel like thats what ill be getting based on this review - and the fact that i am supporting a guy who is well respected and does so much for the legion makes it all even sweeter. 

My armor just shipped and eagerly awaiting arrival. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Not once on any thread I have found, is a price comparison, or list, even approximate....help....I need FO armor only, 3d printed a bucket, its 90% done, and I'm feeling like a proud papa....if I could find affordable (like free) or close to it, 3d files I would print the armor also, alas, all I've found are either over priced, or unfinished....help

Edited by Jmerum
Wasnt done

1 hour ago, Jmerum said:

Not once on any thread I have found, is a price comparison, or list, even approximate....help....I need FO armor only, 3d printed a bucket, its 90% done, and I'm feeling like a proud papa....if I could find affordable (like free) or close to it, 3d files I would print the armor also, alas, all I've found are either over priced, or unfinished....help

You are unlikely to find accurate files for free or dirt cheap, to be honest.

Armoyshop makes a 3D armor only kit but does not sell his files

7 hours ago, Jmerum said:

I have heard of some issues with the printed armor, can fail in places as it is not as strong as ABS plastic or fibreglass. 

This hobby isn't cheap and it is up to you to research the costumes for pricing, currently there are the armor makers which I know members have, Anovos which is ABS plastic and people have been waiting for those pre orders since 2016, these have begun to ship just recently. KB props also does a ABS plastic kit you can find him on Facebook. There are also Jim's kits his are fibreglass and do take a little work to prep, he can also be found on Facebook.

As I say you get what you pay for, if you just want a costume and not to join the 501st you can find pepakura files, foam builds and some 3D files, just takes some searching on Google. If you do want to join the 501st then you will have to part with some big $'s. 

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I have heard of some issues with the printed armor, can fail in places as it is not as strong as ABS plastic or fibreglass. 

This hobby isn't cheap and it is up to you to research the costumes for pricing, currently there are the armor makers which I know members have, Anovos which is ABS plastic and people have been waiting for those pre orders since 2016, these have begun to ship just recently. KB props also does a ABS plastic kit you can find him on Facebook. There are also Jim's kits his are fibreglass and do take a little work to prep, he can also be found on Facebook.

As I say you get what you pay for, if you just want a costume and not to join the 501st you can find pepakura files, foam builds and some 3D files, just takes some searching on Google. If you do want to join the 501st then you will have to part with some big $'s. 

I think you're selling 3d printing short, my bucket is ABS and probably one of the better designs, and finishes I've seen, honestly I believe it would sway your opinion, now, mind you, I didnt just print the thing out and throw it on my head.....it has HOURS (days if I'm being honest) of prep...all worth it, I've just always been a "do it yourself" kind of guy...I enjoy the labor intensive route.....I've always found it more rewarding

1 hour ago, Jmerum said:

I think you're selling 3d printing short, my bucket is ABS and probably one of the better designs, and finishes I've seen, honestly I believe it would sway your opinion, now, mind you, I didnt just print the thing out and throw it on my head.....it has HOURS (days if I'm being honest) of prep...all worth it, I've just always been a "do it yourself" kind of guy...I enjoy the labor intensive route.....I've always found it more rewarding

I'm going off what others have told me, it's not flexible as ABS plastic is and can be cracked in transport, which happened to someone who flew to the last celebration. Up to you what you want to make it out off, as I say for purchasing this is not a cheap hobby and there is some expense involved. 

On 4/5/2019 at 9:11 PM, Jmerum said:

On 4/5/2019 at 10:43 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

I'm going off what others have told me, it's not flexible as ABS plastic is and can be cracked in transport, which happened to someone who flew to the last celebration. Up to you what you want to make it out off, as I say for purchasing this is not a cheap hobby and there is some expense involved. 

I have two kits that are 501st approved that is all 3D Printed (Imperial Death Trooper and FO Tie) 

I agree that the finish you put into 3D printing a kit is a lot sharper however as nice as it looks, it's not durable what so ever if you are not careful with it. I dropped my Death Trooper backplate on concrete while changing and even with fiberglass and metal bar reinforcement, it cracked in half like an egg. I still plan on 3D printing armor and whatnot but it's not much cheaper than an ABS or Fiberglass kit. The amount of work and materials you have to do post-processing drives up the cost, plus having to re-print parts that don't fit and you can't simply trim the armor. However again I like making kits using 3D printing due to the sharper look as well the "fit" is really nice once you get the scaling the way you want it.

11 hours ago, LVLAsian said:

I have two kits that are 501st approved that is all 3D Printed (Imperial Death Trooper and FO Tie) 

I agree that the finish you put into 3D printing a kit is a lot sharper however as nice as it looks, it's not durable what so ever if you are not careful with it. I dropped my Death Trooper backplate on concrete while changing and even with fiberglass and metal bar reinforcement, it cracked in half like an egg. I still plan on 3D printing armor and whatnot but it's not much cheaper than an ABS or Fiberglass kit. The amount of work and materials you have to do post-processing drives up the cost, plus having to re-print parts that don't fit and you can't simply trim the armor. However again I like making kits using 3D printing due to the sharper look as well the "fit" is really nice once you get the scaling the way you want it.

I couldnt agree more with the problems with 3d printing you mentioned (i.e. problems with cracking,  etc.) And there are fixes for that (infill reduction,  heat treatment, etc) I was just trying to convince the naysayers who are dead set against it....its the future, cant speak about a galaxy far, far away, but definitely for this nearby one.....and for those of us who have more talent and will than sense or money, it can be a great tool, if it's used just as that...a tool.....I love talking to intelligent people  civilly.....refreshing...thank you guys

3 hours ago, Jmerum said:

I couldnt agree more with the problems with 3d printing you mentioned (i.e. problems with cracking,  etc.) And there are fixes for that (infill reduction,  heat treatment, etc) I was just trying to convince the naysayers who are dead set against it....its the future, cant speak about a galaxy far, far away, but definitely for this nearby one.....and for those of us who have more talent and will than sense or money, it can be a great tool, if it's used just as that...a tool.....I love talking to intelligent people  civilly.....refreshing...thank you guys

I wouldn't say there has been naysayers dead set against it, people here offer advise on what we know and to date there aren't very many happy people who have 3D printed armor ;) 

By all means print away and I hope it works out for you but for the majority of costumers who want a durable kit that needs little prep work, which can be 501st approved and trooped in without worry of failing I'll always advise plastic or fibreglass, whether 3D printing is the future or not.