Review of Jimmiroquai FOTK Armor

TK5492

I'll echo comments here. I have a RotS ABS clone and have never worked with this stuff. I picked up a kit for a Phasma.<br><br>

It is heavier, but not in a bad way. The material has been really awesome to work with so far. In fact, in terms of fitting and adjustments I think it's easier than ABS because it does have a little flex to it. No "heat gun and hope you don't overdo it" stuff.<br><br>

The actual build will be easier and faster than a ABS kit because a lot of it is already built, like the detonator, forearms, and the shoulder parts. Much quicker.<br><br>

From a paint perspective, I think it will hold paint better than a hard plastic because it does have a bit of a grit to it that a super smooth plastic doesn't have. I'd give it a light sanding just to take off the shipping grime and residual, but it shouldn't need much prep. What I've painted so far seems to really hold and smooth out well. <br><br>

From an accuracy perspective and as a GML, this more than meets any requirements. The parts are solid, the proportions are good, etc. Just like the other kits, you can make little adjustments if you want to get more accurate but this will suffice.

• Like 1

So to those of you with this armor and the anovos standard helmet: Repaint the helmet or did you find matching paint? Would rather not repaint the helmet. Suggestions?

So I actually came on here just now looking for the person who is also using this helmet and Jim's armor.  I have the standard line helmet and testing out paints that will match.  So far I've only tested this paint last night, 2 coats, and today I checked and it did not come out as white as the helmet.  Maybe because my primer is gray?  Before I left today I wet sanded and added an additional coat so we'll see.  

http://www.lowes.com/pd_283716-90-212682_0__?productId=3030334&store_code=1807&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-Paint-_-SprayPaint-_-3030334:Rust-Oleum&CAWELAID=&kpid=3030334&CAWELAID=1220891316&k_clickID=9316cbc6-34d5-4b4b-b452-5eb342da1571

• Like 1

A few of us in the Georgia garrison have made a group to mutually share advice and help in building Jim's armor. So if you're working on the armor you can head on over <br><br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://m.facebook.com/groups/560958490742724?tsid=0.4545358708128333&source=typeahead'>https://m.facebook.com/groups/560958490742724?tsid=0.4545358708128333&source=typeahead</a>

• Like 3

I got on Jim's list too and will be June/July time frame.  Can't wait to get this in!!!

I have to say that I love the ability to get this from a person that is doing runs vs. a corporation.  Plus Jim is getting work to a team of fiberglass guys there local that need the work.  So not only are you getting a fan made cast from a great guy, you are helping a group that needs the work.

• Like 4

I got on Jim's list too and will be June/July time frame.  Can't wait to get this in!!!

I have to say that I love the ability to get this from a person that is doing runs vs. a corporation.  Plus Jim is getting work to a team of fiberglass guys there local that need the work.  So not only are you getting a fan made cast from a great guy, you are helping a group that needs the work.

Never a truer statement and well said! 

• Like 1

Did you coat the insides with plastidip or another material? The fiberglass makes me itch even when it is over clothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hadn't considered that. It's not really fiberglass though, more of a rubber with filler. May not have the same effect.

When you first receive the armor you will want to sand the entire inside with 220 grit sandpaper to remove any fiberglass burs and then wash it out. After that it should no longer be an issue.

Would you be posting a build for Jim's version 3 kit? The hours spent sanding and bondoing the older kits looks really time consuming/intimidating and I would like to know how much elbow grease the new kit really needs.

I would post my Phasma build of a Jim kit, but honestly there has been nothing to really build. It's literally light sand everything for a once-over, primer and paint. I chose to trim down the thigh and open up the knee part of the thigh as well (as suggested) and I guess the only real cut is the bicep, since they are identical and you have to make one left and one right. I had to do slight Apoxie-ing in the bicep due to him sculpting in a hexagon as opposed to just one side of a hexigon and of course gap filling on the left shin boxes. 

Thermal det is better apparently, but fragile. I have recommended to him to ship the helmet with the det because I think the big bundle of his heavy "rubberglass" banging around is what breaks his dets. Fingers are unacceptable. Not accurate at all and too small. I replaced with an accurate set.

You need to dremel out ovals and stuff, but otherwise, if you are like me (5-11, 200) there is very little work to do.

Would you be posting a build for Jim's version 3 kit? The hours spent sanding and bondoing the older kits looks really time consuming/intimidating and I would like to know how much elbow grease the new kit really needs.

No, but I post in the Facebook group.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/560958490742724/

A few of us in the Georgia garrison have made a group to mutually share advice and help in building Jim's armor. So if you're working on the armor you can head on over <br><br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://m.facebook.com/groups/560958490742724?tsid=0.4545358708128333&source=typeahead'>https://m.facebook.com/groups/560958490742724?tsid=0.4545358708128333&source=typeahead</a>

request sent to join!

come on guys- keep your facebook off the detachment and the detachment off your facebook. Can't you folks see the damage that facebook does to the forums? It's especially detrimental to garrisons. Other than the ease of posting pictures, there's no reason not to share it with the entire detachment.

• Like 1