Haso's ANH Stunt TK Build - AP Armour

...According to the knocking on my armour there's a child in front of me.....

IMG_0932_zps9zacnnpk.jpg

...and on guard for more of those pesky kiddies...

On%20guard_zpsntzlju0v.jpg

• Like 2

So many congratulations to you TK 29175 - chest bump mate!!!

Thanks mate.  A nice Mother's Day present...to myself, lol!

I've built it with Centurion in mind so now onto EIB and Centurion....see you there!

• Like 1

Thanks mate. A nice Mother's Day present...to myself, lol!

I've built it with Centurion in mind so now onto EIB and Centurion....see you there!

Git'r'done!

I'm unfortunately delayed until my new rivets and my TM bucket show up.

Something greater now awaits you - your first troop and the indescribable experience it gives. Prepare to live a dream my friend!

Edited by Pyrates

Git'r'done!

I'm unfortunately delayed until my new rivets and my TM bucket show up.

Something greater now awaits you - your first troop and the indescribable experience it gives. Prepare to live a dream my friend!

My first troop will be my son's 8th birthday next week.  I timed that well!

• Like 2

Thanks Q for getting on to my approval so quick. I certainly didn't expect a quick approval like this.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0251 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well I guess I can almost tie up this thread, but I want to send a few acknowledgements out for those that have followed my journey.

In comparison to a few other AP builds out there now, my thread has been a lot smaller, but I hope some of what I've shared has been of value to those that have come across my build.  

There are many other threads out there that I relied on before my build (it was heartening to share the anticipation and wait with others for their AP kits), during my build - for reference and reassurance, and finally, to be able to share my success with my new brotherhood of troopers.

So a few thank you's and some tips I've learned so far:

Pyrates - when I scroll through my build thread it jumps out to me that you have been consistently and helpfully watching over and chiming in with your support and insight from start to end.  Your thread became the proverbial campfire for our batch of AP newbies, inviting us recruits out of the cold to come and sit during the wait to bide our time, then to share our build journeys once we got our BBBs.  You're an asset to your garrison and the legion and I thank you for your support and willingness to follow my progress.  You are an example to the legion of leadership and community spirit.

Sentry71 - thank you for keeping an eye on my thread throughout my build and advice when I needed it (and also for those cap rivets!).  Even the reassurances that we all need to know from time to time that we're going the right way.  You are an example of the trooper helping trooper ethos and I am already paying this forward with other recruits in my garrison.

ComradeDave - mate I appreciate the time and effort you gave to my build in the support and comments to prompt me along.  I also appreciate your build thread that I am still following - I want to see that ESB trooper submission no matter how long it takes.  No matter the cost (injuries, new parts...) in getting the result, you're an example of persistence and patience and down the track you'll have war stories from your build to reassure newbies to keep carrying on....

and also...

Dougal - yep I've noticed a few encouraging words sprinkled throughout my build from your good self.  Thanks for those, it's often just those small words of encouragement...."it's looking good,  keep it up, great work" etc, that help keep a newbie reassured that it's all going ok, especially from a 'done' member.

If there are some things I've learned that I'd like to impart to someone starting their first build, (especially while it's still fresh) it would be this:

1) Don't be too perfect - In my research into how the screen suits were put together, I came up with a mantra "Perfection is inaccurate" (I have no idea if this is an actual saying or not).  These were not precision cut, symmetrical suits.  Listen to the words of Troopermaster.  Listen to the words of Mark at AP.  Refer to the reference pics of the originals.  Impart this aura of imperfection into your suit.

2) Pay it forward - Always offer to help a trooper when you can.  Graciously accept help.  Offer positive feedback and honest, genuine critique.  If you receive a good turn from a fellow trooper, pay it forward to another.

3) If it's not going your way, or you're unsure, walk away.  Although most things are fixable, a lot are also avoidable.....if you simply down tools, take a breath, and come back to it later.  Ask questions and do a bit more research.  Slow down, and you'll get there faster...

4) Use E-6000 - it does a few things.  It enforces patience.  It can be taken apart weeks later.  It can be adjusted for the best result.  It is forgiving.  

5) be careful with superglue.  Avoid drips on your armour.

and lastly

6) Do not reinvent the wheel.  Just follow the tried and true ways of those who've travelled this path before you.  

Now I'm off to get some troops under my belt and work towards EIB and Centurion.  And to get me one of them FISD racing shirts!!

Thanks all

Kris

Edited by Haso
  • Like 3

Kris,

It's been an absolute thrill to share in your journey and am truly humbled and honored brother.

Your approach and methods were extremely helpful to me and will benefit those after us.

While Tim says Troopers helping Troopers is the "Lifeblood" of the FISD, it is my firm belief that Camaraderie is the "Heart".

Thank-you again my good friend for being there for me as much as I was for you.

I will miss this thread, however I look forward to watching your Troop Logs as it fills up with the stellar experiences ahead and hope that one day we can all get together at a Celebration to reminisce.

Big ol' brotherly hug mate, über congratulations and keep in touch .

- Aaron

• Like 1

Awesome work, Kris. Wear that armor with pride.

It has been an honor to help with suggestions, and to watch this suit come together.

I know you will keep paying it forward.

Congratulations, Trooper!

• Like 2

Stellar stuff buddy! Congrats on your designation really proud of you bud!

I also wanted to thank you for the kind words and support I look forward to seeing your progress you're on to great things my man!

I'll raise a Foster's to your success mate! Lol cheers bud

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I will be starting my AP build in a few weeks and was wondering when you use the Plasti Dip do you sand and prime first? Do you see a gray tint to the helmet when you use Plasti Dip?

Edited by ukute04

I will be starting my AP build in a few weeks and was wondering when you use the Plasti Dip do you sand and prime first? Do you see a gray tint to the helmet when you use Plasti Dip?

I just sprayed about 10 very thin coats straight inside mine, to avoid runs. No sanding or priming. And no grey tint to my bucket either, the plastidip is more a rubberized coating that dries on top, you can actuallyvpeel it off reasonably easy.

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Modding the AP supplied Thermal Det screws for Centurion accuracy...

After I got EIB approval, the feedback I got for Centurion submission was a suggestion to swap out the black thermal detonator screws for more accurate ones.  The accurate ones are rounded pan-head screws with just the straight slot (not sure how to describe it).

I started having a look around some hardware stores for these screws which from what my research shows are brass screws, but couldn't find any.

I then had an idea to mod the screws I already have by using some 2-part modelling clay, or green stuff, to fill in the screws and then create the right kind of screw slot, then repaint it.  Pictures are probably clearer to explain...

Below are the screws BEFORE I modded them...note the rounded centres...

IMG_20160306_125626_zps7sriwtrj.jpg

Filling the screws with modelling putty - some water on fingers helps to smooth the putty out:

20160820_115430_resized_zpspztjzbqp.jpg

20160820_114818_resized_zpsmw4on1v1.jpg

Then, after about an hour I used a flat-head screwdriver to carve the slot in the screws.  Again, water the screwdriver tip to help get a smooth result.  Carefully pick off pieces of the displaced clay...

20160820_125411_resized_zps9kk6or37.jpg

20160820_125359_resized_zps3t9qwz66.jpg

20160820_125313_resized_zpsd76ieh2p.jpg

Once cleaned up...

20160820_125829_resized_zpstcdgrx6t.jpg

and finally, after painting...

20160821_003709_resized_zpsbddwagua.jpg

also, I e6000'd some scrap elastic to the backs of the TD clips to reduce scratching my armour when it's attached...just pick off any excess glue once cured for a neat, clean look...

20160821_003803_resized_zpstxhr2rep.jpg

Centurion pics still to be taken, I'll post them up once submitted.

• 2 weeks later...

Fitting a head, fans and microphone into an AP bucket...

Not sure about everyone else with an AP bucket, but if you're big-brained like myself and find it a tight squeeze to fit your head in the bucket with a fan and an Aker mic, here's what I'm just done and I'll test it at a troop next Saturday night...

I removed the metal headband from the microphone, attached some velcro to the inside of the neckseal, and have just positioned the mic inside the neckseal with velcro to hold it in place...

20160904_135013_resized_zpsbkw9k19l.jpg

• Like 3

Looking forward to how this works out. Starting to find out that there is less space inside than originally thought for some of us (though no fault of Mark). :D

Edited by Sentry71
  • Like 2