TFA Z6 Stormtrooper Riot Baton 3D Model Build......this may take a while

Artshot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lesson for self, never try to model something with moving parts :6:

But that's only where the fun begins! :)

More seriously, moving parts are always a challenge indeed. Especially when you need to keep clearance in mind because real prints are never as accurate in dimensions than their computer alter ego

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress has been made, after a slight rethink.....yay

Some pictures have been taken.....yay

Some idiot left the file at work.....drat

Update tomorrow, I think I might be in the final stretch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Here we go then, another thrilling instalment of my Z6 Riot Baton Build, or as I have come to think of it "Bitten off more than I can chew" or "What was I thinking ?"

Over the last few weeks I have been struggling to figure out how to get the rotation for the Deflectors to work, especially since I decided to be clever and not only want them to be able to go from closed to open, I also wanted them to rotate at the same speed and by a fixed rotation (180 degrees)......now you know why it's taken weeks, especially since I have mostly been figuring out how to use Sketchup as I go and I am no engineer.

So, on with the pictures of the progress so far.

Here we have the new rotation peg (going to call it that from now on), currently in the Baton closed position, the peg has been modelled with a slight "step out" to match a similar "step in" on the retaining ring, not only will this allow the peg to rotate by only 180 degrees, but the retaining ring will stop it flying apart.

I have decided that I want the Deflectors to try and lie as fitted to the main body as I can manage, however there has to be a balance against how far they need to extend to open and maintain clearance when rotating.

Here we have an internal view of the above, granted you cannot see much at this point.

Similar to the first picture, here we have the rotation peg at its extended position, I am going to figure out a length of the peg that not only gives clearance, but should hopefully keep the Deflectors fitting better on the main body.

Also I will be cutting a similar indentation into the interior rotation peg point in the Deflectors to make sure that the Deflectors will be locked in parallel positions, either open or closed.

egoXGET.jpg

And again, we have an internal view of the rotation peg in an extended position.

lpugTCe.jpg

And now for something to clear up a bit of the internal mechanics, as you can see each half of the rotation peg (yup so good it comes in two parts) has a recessed "cup" that surrounds the smaller part of the rotation peg, I am hoping that this recess will allow the fitting of a spring to aid on the Deflectors popping out to extend.

As you can hopefully see, but probably not make out, the central smaller part of the rotation peg locks into the opposite piece, this should make sure that when it rotates, they will rotate together and at the same speed, I have made sure that each part extends far enough that they lock when open and closed, also they are long enough to be braced through the smaller holes in the interior of the main body.

Okay so here are a few observations:-

1) The sizes of the spaces inside the rotation peg are pretty small (about 2mm) wide for the space for a spring, this cannot be helped at this stage as the area is pretty small to work in.

2) The lip I have built into the rotation peg and the retaining ring is only 1mm, this I realise is pretty small for an area that could get a bit of wear.

3) Currently I have no clue how to control how to make the Deflectors spring open, I have tried a few pivot ideas, but as I was wasting too much time banging my head against the problem I moved on, hopefully one day I will figure it out, I have included helpful holes in the main body, should I ever get it sorted, I even considered having the rotation peg corkscrew open.

As usual, any and all comments welcome.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Since it's nearly that time of year for present giving.....just bought myself the voice changer Stormtrooper helmet :)

I thought I would spread a little cheer for those still following this very very long build......it's finished :)

However, being slightly useless, I have left the files on the server at work, so I may have to wait till after the Christmas/New Years break, to share them.

Doh!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good things come to those that wait , Happy Christmas Art . I'm sure Santa will be dropping some 3D printers under troopers trees this Christmas morning ,All ready to get making this cool prop.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Okay then, here we go for the next thrilling instalment of my “Z6 – Riot Baton Build” or as I have come to think of it, “What have I started”, especially since once I got to over 150 hours I stopped counting.

BllvPZ3.jpg

The images below are exploded images of the completed Baton in the “Folded” position.

Cwa43Lj.jpg

O0wgYOQ.jpg

I tried while building this to be as accurate as I could be, based on photo's and assorted details online, I have also tried to build the potential for options into the model for people to hopefully improve the Baton.

I am not an engineer and basically had to figure out things as I went, hopefully once I run the individual pieces through Shapeways I will be able to start a new thread with directions and thoughts on the Baton's construction.

As always, any thoughts and comments are welcome.

So, that's it, I finished it, which is as much a surprise to me as it might be to anybody following.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 2