Mkjava's Anovos ANH Stunt Build

Hi I'm Mike and I'm an officer in the Tampa Bay Squad (ID82666).  I've been a 501st member since early last summer with close to 20 troops so far, but this is my first adventure with an armor build.  I'm creating this thread to document things for my own reference, get some online advice when I need it, and maybe even give hope to other armor newbies along the way.  For reference to other builders, I'm about 6' and 175lbs, so that's what I'm sizing it to.  I can definitely be a lazy procrastinator, so hopefully having this build thread out here will pressure me to keep moving along with things at a reasonable pace!

Like millions of others, I too purchased the Anovos TK kit when it went on sale back in the Tier 1 timeframe, it was literally the deal of a lifetime.  It showed up a few weeks ago and I made the first nervous 'cuts' at an armor party a couple of weeks back.  The TK's (and everyone!) here in TBS are extremely helpful to get us armor newbies up to speed and I'm sure I'll be hitting them up quite a bit as I continue work on this.

Here's my obligatory BBB pic with what I believe to be an accurate reference model of what I'm shooting for:

IMG_3432_zpsfj0lscix.jpg

And my first attempt at assembly using the Elder Wand - 'Armor Assembleosa!':

IMG_3434_zpsuqncvgj5.jpg

That didn't work and I can only assume it failed as I'm not the true owner of Dumbledore's wand.  So with that failure, my future posts will consist of me trying to build this the normal way....

• Like 3

Yup, you're definitely not the half-blood prince  :laugh1:

Good luck working on your build. There are A LOT of threads out there, especially with all the ANOVOS builds.

Feel free to ask lots of questions! Although i imagine you might get some help from your local garrison group.

Just don't "stupify" yourself

• Like 1

I am a little bit further along than my first posting implied.  I actually finished up all of the initial trimming over the weekend, now taking some time to go back to trim just a bit more where needed.  As you can see I commandeered the dining room table for this work, although I will definitely get kicked out to the garage when sanding begins!

IMG_3451_zpsu54oot8a.jpg

These are the tools that I've used so far in the build:

IMG_3453_zpszytomwym.jpg

• Hobby knife set - Home Depot 
  • Metal ruler - Home Depot
  • Cut resistant gloves - Home Depot
  • Big 'bag o clamps' - Home Depot
  • Duratrax scissors - Amazon
  • Aviation snips - Harbor Freight

For straight edge trimming, I used the 'score and snap' method and that worked well.  For curved or small area trimming, the curved scissors worked like a charm.  The only time I really turned to the aviation snips was with the thick plastic on the thigh pieces.

I believe the next chore probably involves sizing the arm and leg pieces and I'd like to get some 'professional' help with that.  l just got news that the squad has an ANOVOS specific armor party coming up in a few weeks, so I may wait until then to do further work.  If there's something else I can work on in the meantime, I'm open to suggestions?

At 6' 175#, you seem pretty normal sized, so you can probably start just by working on the front-facing bits with the cover strips.  Each part really only has one side with a really distinctive cover edge.  Use ukswrath's thread to start trimming the return edges.  (for instance, on the the forearms you'll want to trim to a straight line 7.5mm from the start of the return edge's ridge, on each half, then it will fit the 15mm cover strip perfectly when they're aligned under it to glue)  The other side is where the fitting part comes in, unless you're a POUS.  (person of unusual size) ;)

• Like 1

Persons of unusual size? I don't think they exist. (Sorry couldn't resist!).

That's a good idea, those front forearms edges are probably as good a place to start as any without having to worry about the sizing for right now. What about trimming and sanding return edges on the torso parts, am I better off waiting until I can put them on as a 'tape trooper' over the undersuit to check the fit? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ha! Good response. ;)

I definitely wouldn't bother with removing any edges on the torso just yet, until you can put it together a little more. Tape it all on... it's all part of the fun!

Weekend update.  I had multiple Officer troops this weekend so didn't have the chance to do as much as I would have liked to with the armor.  I really need to cut back on trooping so that I can get my armor done so that I can troop more.  Hey wait a minute??

Anyway, I managed to get some trimming done on the front edges of the forearms, thighs, and shins to have them sized correctly for the cover strips.  I'm not sure about the biceps though as there's no clear front return edge to measure from.  Looking at ukswrath's build, he takes a little off both the front and back on those to get the proper front edge, so I need to look a little more closely at that.  

Question on forearm return edges.  Since I need to remove the wrist returns completely, is there any good reason not to go ahead and do that now while it's still 2 pieces?  Seems to me it would be easier vs. when they're glued together.

I also received the soft parts this weekend and they fit pretty good.  I think if I wear just those, the helmet, and the boots, it would make for a good 'Casual Trooper' CRL!

Edited by mkjava

• 2 weeks later...

I was back on this again this weekend as I relocated to the garage for my work (kicked out of the dining room, totally unfair!).  Here's the new setup and the additional tools and items in use now:

IMG_3511_zpsaieqopjh.jpg

The glue, magnets, tape, sandpaper were all Home Depot purchases.  Yes you can find the rare earth magnets at HD for an 'attractive' price!  :-D  The Dremel was a Christmas gift from my wife to help with my build, but since I'm not really experienced with using it I'm a little hesitant to learn my skills on my armor.  We'll see on that.

Since I don't own a belt sander and am too cheap to buy one, this is my flat edge 'sanding station' and I think it does the trick for what I need:

IMG_3513_zpsta0hqiyn.jpg

I've made progress on the thermal detonator, the glue will be set later today and I'll be able to add the clips and mark at least one thing off my list!  

IMG_3516_zpsstvj1lai.jpg

I've also been working on the forearms.  The front butt edge are trimmed to size for the cover strip and I've trimmed down the back sides enough so that I think the look and fit is pretty good.  I just need to do a little bit more light sanding and smoothing of the edges a bit.  Anyone see any issues here before I break out the glue?

IMG_3514_zps9duwuyrw.jpg

IMG_3515_zpssa1seulc.jpg

Looks good, keep going!

I hear you on the dining room. I'm still allowed, but I have to pack everything up and hide it all every 2-3 days, which is getting really old.

• Like 2

Your forearm looks good. With any fitting, of any piece, it's recommended to try things on with your black undersuit on. It will give you a real reading on how things are fitting, and the ease of putting stuff on and off. With your bare arm, your forearm armor might look a little big, and it looks like your hand will pass through it easily. With a black sleve in there, it might be perfect. Just making sure you don't end up looking like you have popeye arms. You know? ;)

The sandpaper taped to a table is a great trick and will serve you well. Keep it up! :duim:

• Like 1

Your forearm looks good. With any fitting, of any piece, it's recommended to try things on with your black undersuit on. It will give you a real reading on how things are fitting, and the ease of putting stuff on and off. With your bare arm, your forearm armor might look a little big, and it looks like your hand will pass through it easily. With a black sleve in there, it might be perfect. Just making sure you don't end up looking like you have popeye arms. You know? ;)

The sandpaper taped to a table is a great trick and will serve you well. Keep it up! :duim:

Good advice, I'll put on the undersuit (which I have) before committing to any glueing!  For someone new at this such as myself, there's a paranoia in cutting too much off since you can't put it back once it's gone.  Right now I can slide my hand through the opening when i draw my fingers together.  It's not tight, but it's not loose either. I certainly don't want the Popeye look but I figure if it feels a little loose some foam padding on the inside will alleviate that.

• 2 weeks later...

Forearms assembled! Here's the process:

1: Started by using scrap strips of ABS from the trimming as inside cover strips. I thought doing this first would make it easier to hold the pieces together when attaching the outer strips:

e2614b15ef6ccd9b9354cb1e06556576.jpg

2: Assembling the 2 halves by gluing to inner cover strips:

fb76402a62867430a7f6498c51df3e11.jpg

3: Glued the outer cover strips and behold the finished product (still need a touch of cover strip trimming but that's easy):

1f2681bb6df694e8716a91b594d5cc9c.jpg

Edited by mkjava

Also, thermal detonator done. Boom!!

8890110ec75f884b5a74c827559b0a2f.jpg

Next up is an armor party on Sunday where my goal is to get biceps, thighs, and shins sized, trimmed, and ready for assembly.

Armor party on Sunday just for us Anovos folks and there were only a couple of us in attendance so lots of individual attention.  I was able to get my biceps, thighs, and shins sized, and the consensus on the shins was 25 and 28 were the left leg and 24 and 27 were the right leg, at least for me.  I just need to do a little more sanding and I can start assembling these items

IMG_3550_zpsfakhoxz5.jpg

I also had the chance with help from a friend this weekend to try and fit all of the torso armor.  Excuse the insane tape job in places, not sure what my friend was thinking there!

IMG_3541_zpsumn9bh9q.jpg

IMG_3544_zpsfm6qcnrk.jpg

IMG_3546_zpsf0eidbka.jpg

It's tough to tell with just tape but I think that once I get the return edges trimmed down I should be able to mostly close the gap between the back and kidney.  As for the gap between the kidney and ab, I'm thinking I may end up with a gap of about 1" maybe a bit more when things are actually together.  Some advice here would be helpful, should I trim up my return edges and begin the assembly process for these parts before thinking about shims?  I plan to start with the Anovos strapping since I've got it already, and then over time switch out for snaps.  My thoughts are this would give me flexibility to adjust things as needed and see if additional trimming or shims are needed.

I helped my cousin trim his kit yesterday as he starts his TK journey- I found the supplied Velcro and elastic to be very "springy" and "light"- certain areas like biceps to forearms will be fine for elastic connections - but kidney to butt, back to kidney- etc I prefer nylon webbing and snaps. (Keeps things from bouncing around)

Also- be mindful if Velcro- you might have things slip out of position and be a Velcro noisy trooper :)

I helped my cousin trim his kit yesterday as he starts his TK journey- I found the supplied Velcro and elastic to be very "springy" and "light"- certain areas like biceps to forearms will be fine for elastic connections - but kidney to butt, back to kidney- etc I prefer nylon webbing and snaps. (Keeps things from bouncing around)

Also- be mindful if Velcro- you might have things slip out of position and be a Velcro noisy trooper :)

Hey Ty, that reminds me, I want to get your thigh garter system, everyone raves about it!

• Like 1