Snap straps full list?

E-Ren89

So I'm doing snap approach and was wondering if anyone can link me to a nice list of all the straps that are needed. I got ANOVOS kit but I'm not entirely sure what included I'll be using and what I need to get and the measurements of them all. Width of black and white elastic and for which parts they go for, nylon straps, etc... I know everything should be here but I can't seem to find everything I'm looking for in one place. Any help would be nice

Good Call Eddie. Eric, for sure use Justjoseph's list it's a life saver. I also recommend his centurion rivet set. Tandy leather has the best snaps, Joanne's or Michael's in the US should have all your strapping and elastic. Build threads are also a good resource to give you an idea how how others assembled their armour.

• Like 2

Thanks for the link, Eddie, and thanks for the kind words, Dave!  After working on quite a few of the Anovos kits, I gotta say that I am not overly fond of their strapping system.   I would replace the elastic they send (except for the shoulder bridges, shoulder bell, and bicep/forearm connections with nylon, and ditch the Velcro completely in favor of snaps.  MUCH more secure!

You can use 1 inch wide black nylon for most of the strapping, Eric.  In the places I mentioned for elastic, you can use the 1 inch wide black type they supply, except for the shoulder connections, which should be 2 inch wide white elastic.  A tip when attaching snaps to elastic:  Always double over the ends and hit them with a little CA (super) glue before attaching the snaps for strength.  This will help prevent the snaps from ripping out easily.

Some folks (including myself) use the double snap system.  Not everywhere, but mainly in the areas in the photos.  This takes a bit more time, but I know that nothing will ever, ever fall off during a troop.  

ZstuZK9.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/23/2016 at 12:50 AM, justjoseph63 said:

Thanks for the link, Eddie, and thanks for the kind words, Dave! After working on quite a few of the Anovos kits, I gotta say that I am not overly fond of their strapping system. I would replace the elastic they send (except for the shoulder bridges, shoulder bell, and bicep/forearm connections with nylon, and ditch the Velcro completely in favor of snaps. MUCH more secure!

You can use 1 inch wide black nylon for most of the strapping, Eric. In the places I mentioned for elastic, you can use the 1 inch wide black type they supply, except for the shoulder connections, which should be 2 inch wide white elastic. A tip when attaching snaps to elastic: Always double over the ends and hit them with a little CA (super) glue before attaching the snaps for strength. This will help prevent the snaps from ripping out easily.

Some folks (including myself) use the double snap system. Not everywhere, but mainly in the areas in the photos. This takes a bit more time, but I know that nothing will ever, ever fall off during a troop.

I did forget you made this list before I posted my last request. You suggest to replace some elastic with nylon is a reason for this?

There are a couple of reasons I (and many others) use nylon strapping in many places, Eric.  First, it holds some pieces in place better, keeping them from shifting or having a gap, especially the areas right around the kidney plate.  If you are (hopefully) aiming for EIB and then Centurion, those gaps are not something you want.

Don't get me wrong, elastic is a great thing!  In areas like the shoulder connection, bicep to forearm, shoulder bell to bicep areas, you need a lot of movement, so I definitely use the elastic there.  The reason I use elastic at a minimum is that the snaps can (and will) tear out of it over time in some areas from the repeated stress of attaching and un-attatching them, depending on how much you troop.  Doubling or tripling them over at the ends before installing the snaps will make them last much longer, though