ATA abs Helmet

Here's to hoping you and your daughter feel better! My helmet is an ATA as well, and it was a fun build. Best of luck when you get started!

Thank You TheLoneRanger! She's feeling well enough to let me try to make some cuts. 

02223b4b7ad8c31c8b3f1e76ee12e42a.jpg

Got a little further when my daughter took a nap. During her 1.5 hour nap I was able to fit the left ear. I think I still have a bit of trimming to do to the ear.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I had that same problem when I painted the frown on my ata bucket. Following the frown as molded looks wonky. So I removed the paint from the left side end (right side when looking at it) and tried to mimic the end point of the right side (left when looking at) as best I could so that the frown looked even when seen as a whole. I was much happier with the overall look when finished. <br><br>

Other than that, your bucket's looking good so far.

I had that same problem when I painted the frown on my ata bucket. Following the frown as molded looks wonky. So I removed the paint from the left side end (right side when looking at it) and tried to mimic the end point of the right side (left when looking at) as best I could so that the frown looked even when seen as a whole. I was much happier with the overall look when finished. <br><br>

Other than that, your bucket's looking good so far.

Thanks! How did your mic tips fit? Mine only go in so far and there's a decent sized gap behind them. 

There's a slight gap between the helmet and the mic tips on mine. I had to experiment with the final hole size for the posts and holding the tips while tightening them down in order to get them to sit as tight as possible and straight. It took a little time but I'm pleased with how they turned out and the gap isn't noticeable without putting your face right up against the helmet and looking for it.<br><br>

I'll try to get a pic of the frown and tips on here later to show you.

There's a slight gap between the helmet and the mic tips on mine. I had to experiment with the final hole size for the posts and holding the tips while tightening them down in order to get them to sit as tight as possible and straight. It took a little time but I'm pleased with how they turned out and the gap isn't noticeable without putting your face right up against the helmet and looking for it.<br><br>

I'll try to get a pic of the frown and tips on here later to show you.

Thanks for your input. That gave me the confidence to move forward on the mic tips and it turns out what concerned me isn't noticeable.

50605bd616cfbf73a31e73ec4aa38bf6.jpg

Did a bit of a sloppy plastidip cheesecloth job. I might try to clean up the edges.

8671b5c247c860df666080cc11063925.jpg

Hand painted the traps, vents and well everything. It think it's obvious the details were hand painted.

0aba8098ebe6a1fdd74403f818298160.jpg3ef28e5c70980a273e10c04bc586df3a.jpg

I drink a lot of caffeinated drinks and I think the edges of the details show that.

01bd025beb9bb42769ec6f2340c053d1.jpg

I installed the lenses similarly to how others have. The tee nuts I used allowed for a gap between eye socket and lens. I don't know if I could live with that.

Can I ask what you used for padding, etc. in the helmet? Trying to decide what to use in mine.

I was thinking about going with the MICH helmet padding.

I'm using a combination of MICH padding and some thinner black cloth covered foam padding. The MICH padding works great in the front and sides of the helmet. I found it to be too thick to use on the crown and back though. The round crown pad made the bucket ride up too high, and using the mich padding all the way around the inside made the fit way too tight. The fact it sticks to the hookside of Velcro is awesome, really handy for adjusting the fit.

Instead of the MICH padding I went with some foam from a pelican case. You can peel off little columns of foam to make it fit however you want.374c00408b9722ad024e80bc94f17f29.jpg

Here's side profiles to show my paint job. I'm not completely happy with it. In the future I would like to use an airbrush or least figure out how to paint without leaving streaks.

a395b2df25812fa2bb7d0831bd3aab2e.jpgd891570c23fe9e1ade75c6ca083bbeaf.jpg

• 1 month later...

Really? This is my first helmet, I had to have made some mistakes. I thought somebody would have weighed in on my paint job at least. Anyways, I only have the helmet thus far and made some corrections since the last post. b2de23b02972fa39d1e634c891df9e00.jpg06e9376a1b1f1361f10263e7ce9c7856.jpgcf1a80424f1d367885e29ea0571e13e2.jpg153bafc3ed3a985ef14ca7bb0a14adb5.jpg