HOWTO: Magnetic Plug and Socket. No more velcro.

TK4205

How do you attach the posterior? Same as ukswrath but without the velcro bits?

To which part are you referring?

I used E6000 to stick the magnets to the plastic and CA glue to attach the socket to the armor. The socket has a magnet on the back, with E6000.

Sorry was a bit unclear. I meant how the posterior attaches to the abdomen. Ukswrath has the velcro and elastic sewn together that both closes the back and the posterior is hanging from. Did you use a similar method, but not as high (since that's where you have the magnets)?

Edited by Coil

On 5/10/2016 at 2:21 PM, Coil said:

Sorry was a bit unclear. I meant how the posterior attaches to the abdomen. Ukswrath has the velcro and elastic sewn together that both closes the back and the posterior is hanging from. Did you use a similar method, but not as high (since that's where you have the magnets)?

Still unclear.

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 3

Wyatt, great video on how your magnet system is set up.  Any idea when you may be selling a kit for those of us who'd like to use your system?  I know from your earlier post you were thinking about it...Thanks in advance!

Wyatt, great video on how your magnet system is set up.  Any idea when you may be selling a kit for those of us who'd like to use your system?  I know from your earlier post you were thinking about it...Thanks in advance!

Still looking for a source for quality inexpensive magnets. Right now, it takes about $40 in Home Depot magnets to do this mod. I found some cheaper magnets on ebay, but I wasn't happy with the strength of them and they shatter easy.

I just tricked out a set of armor for a garrison mate. It was cool to see it go on and snap in to place. The entire kit can be done like this; just throw the parts on like Iron Man and they snap and lock, only without the cool sound effects. By "entire kit" I mean the shins, ab, TD, chest plate and sides.

Edited by TK4205

On 5/14/2016 at 4:14 AM, TK4205 said:

Still looking for a source for quality inexpensive magnets. Right now, it takes about $40 in Home Depot magnets to do this mod. I found some cheaper magnets on ebay, but I wasn't happy with the strength of them and they shatter easy.

You could try this place---------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

I just tricked out a set of armor for a garrison mate. It was cool to see it go on and snap in to place. The entire kit can be done like this; just throw the parts on like Iron Man and they snap and lock, only without the cool sound effects. By "entire kit" I mean the shins, ab, TD, chest plate and sides.

I like the sound of that!

For magnets check out (I know, I know... The name sounds inappropriate) www.banggood.com. They're slow to ship by reputation, but many to choose from, for awesome pricing. Here's the link with the search for magnets included:-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 5/20/2016 at 12:35 PM, Bryanmc said:

Where did you get the rectangle magnets?

I wouldn't recommend this brand but Super-magnet brand is what home depot carries. They seem to be OK and you can get about every shape and size here------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

You can also check geek.com or wish.com same thing. Really good prices on there. They ship from China put I got a tea good deal on magnets there and they have all shapes and sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/20/2016 at 2:14 PM, TK4205 said:

I wouldn't recommend this brand but Super-magnet brand is what home depot carries. They seem to be OK and you can get about every shape and size here:-------------

Why don't you recommend them? If just because of price that's ok as I have a window of opportunity to work on this in the next few days and I'd be willing to pay to have them now.

If it's because they actually aren't very good magnets then I'll wait and order from the other suggested places.

Thanks!

Edited by gmrhodes13

I'm just starting out with my first build and the magnets seems like a great idea.

But someone at a troop told me magnets weren't acceptable for approval and that only Velcro/snaps were allowed. Is this true?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm just starting out with my first build and the magnets seems like a great idea.

But someone at a troop told me magnets weren't acceptable for approval and that only Velcro/snaps were allowed. Is this true?

100% untrue. We don't care what the armor looks like on the inside, just the outside. You could build your entire suit with magnets instead of Velcro if you wanted.

• Like 2

That's what I would have thought.

It's pretty interesting that there appear to be a lot of "wanna be" judges that sometimes give differing directions to people's questions. It's hard to know who to believe. I'm scared of trimming something or going down a path (i.e. magnets) then find out the "real" judges won't approve something that can't be fixed.

As long as you comply to the CRL, you'll be fine. The only 2 people that can rightfully judge your costume are your GML (who approves locally in your garrison as the representative of the LMO (Legion Membership Officer) or ultimately the LMO himself. The LMO can override the GML.

Yes, there are a lot of wannabe's. This is why I created FISD in the first place, to counter incorrect local knowledge.

• Like 3

Why don't you recommend them? If just because of price that's ok as I have a window of opportunity to work on this in the next few days and I'd be willing to pay to have them now.

If it's because they actually aren't very good magnets then I'll wait and order from the other suggested places.

Thanks!

They weren't very strong.

• Like 1

I need to source some ABS for this, any suggestions as to thickness?

I use 1/16" styrene.

If you paypal $10 to ImperilGskets@gmil.com I will send you enough to do this mod.

• Like 1