HOWTO: Magnetic Plug and Socket. No more velcro.

TK4205

Suit up in no time. All by yourself.

GWPg3SS.jpg

c8EYNto.jpg

UZPYOLf.jpg

xNyQdsd.jpg

One inch square HIPS from my scrap bin. I cut a 3/4" inch hole and glued together. This is the socket for the magnet plug.

PhYqf6k.jpg

I used a dremel to make my socket round.

AjtMZeR.jpg

Dremelled 1/4" holes in the shins. 

PmjHKxW.jpg

Super Magnets from Home Depot. Pack of 3 for under $4.

Qvjkx6x.jpg

I used E6000 to stick the magnets and CA glue to attach the socket to the armor. 

K6zHQY7.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 13

I was luck enough to be the crash test dummy on this. I can 100% for sure say that it works as advertised. It's magic, truly, and really allows you to get in / out by yourself.

• Like 4

I just added these to my wife's soon-to-be Phasma. Great mod! I'm trying to think of what more I need to use magnets for now!

I'm also doing similar with the shins. I will post a video soon.  

• Like 1

One inch square HIPS from my scrap bin. I cut a 1/4" inch hole and glued together. This is the socket for the magnet plug.

PhYqf6k.jpg

I used a dremel to make my socket round.

AjtMZeR.jpg

Dremelled 1/4" holes in the shins. 

PmjHKxW.jpg

Super Magnets from Home Depot. Pack of 3 for under $4.

Qvjkx6x.jpg

I used E6000 to stick the magnets and CA glue to attach the socket to the armor.

K6zHQY7.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

• 4 weeks later...

It looks a great idea!<br>

Just a question. Being super magnets and rare earth magnets so very much atracted one to his counterpart other... Is it difficult to unsuit yourself alone once you are in the suit? Do you think the armor will eventually suffer stress or cracks if you have to force the two sides to open it? If not, this will be a cool way to go on my built to come, and much more sci fi than elastics or brackets.<br>

Great idea... Thanks for sharing.

It looks a great idea!<br>

Just a question. Being super magnets and rare earth magnets so very much atracted one to his counterpart other... Is it difficult to unsuit yourself alone once you are in the suit? Do you think the armor will eventually suffer stress or cracks if you have to force the two sides to open it? If not, this will be a cool way to go on my built to come, and much more sci fi than elastics or brackets.<br>

Great idea... Thanks for sharing.

My magnets do not touch one another. With plastic, they stay separated enough so it's not hard to get apart. Lot less stressful than velcro or snaps. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I use a dremmel and a small sanding barrel. I use a large sanding barrel to dremmel it round. The round magnets work best.

I will be offering up a kit shortly. I just have to figure out a price first.

• Like 1

1/4" or did you mean 3/4" magnets since your HIPS squares are 1". The magnets I found at HD are .7". I'm assuming those are the ones u also got. Thanks for this tutorial.

Edited by virimpact

• 2 weeks later...