How to repair cuts in armor?

Got a little careless with the knife when trimming my shoulder bell.   You can see the cut towards the outside of the bell on the very top of the picture.  Any recommendations on the best way to fix?

9LsXg8e.jpg

Before you do any more trimming or sanding, I would (carefully) super glue a small piece of scrap ABS on the inside of the return edge for strength, Matt.  At that point, you can use a Dremel type tool or half round file to smooth out the edges before finishing it off.  I wouldn't worry too much about filling the cut, as it is small and won't actually show because it is underneath.  If you do decide to fill it, you can make up some ABS paste.  If you need help doing this, just PM me for more info.  Side note: I noticed you are using safety gloves... good idea!  (Trust me, LOL)

• Like 3

Before you do any more trimming or sanding, I would (carefully) super glue a small piece of scrap ABS on the inside of the return edge for strength, Matt. At that point, you can use a Dremel type tool or half round file to smooth out the edges before finishing it off. I wouldn't worry too much about filling the cut, as it is small and won't actually show because it is underneath. If you do decide to fill it, you can make up some ABS paste. If you need help doing this, just PM me for more info. Side note: I noticed you are using safety gloves... good idea! (Trust me, LOL)

Great idea. Definitely have enough scrap laying around. I want to make sure the cut doesn't spread to the outside and reinforcing should help. Reading all the build threads that contained lots of bandaids I thought it was a good idea to invest in some cut resistant gloves.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Put a small piece of scrap on the inside with a little E6000. Worked like a champ. A little sanding and it will be good as new!

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I take it you used the score and snap method?

I have seen a lot of these slips lately. Score and snap is definitely an advanced trimming technique and not recommended for beginners. Heavy duty snips or curved Lexan scissors give much more control over your cuts and even though there is more sanding or clean up, at least you do not have any damage to your armour.

• Like 2

I take it you used the score and snap method?

I have seen a lot of these slips lately. Score and snap is definitely an advanced trimming technique and not recommended for beginners. Heavy duty snips or curved Lexan scissors give much more control over your cuts and even though there is more sanding or clean up, at least you do not have any damage to your armour.

Correct. I used the score and snap. I did fine on all the rest of the pieces just got careless on this one. Appreciate the advice. Where's a good place to get the Lexan scissors? Amazon?

Edited by SupRsloth

I've had good luck fixing these cuts with a small sealing iron. They are used for applying monocote covering on RC airplanes. You could probably use a regular sized iron if you are careful. The good thing about a cut like this is that all the plastic is still there. An iron and a little bit of pressure will heat the plastic and push it back in on itself. I'd practice on a piece of scrap first. Good luck.

• Like 1