Dougal's ANH Hero Build -- RTMod

Ok well I haven't seen anything that says I shouldn't just cut off the raised ridge. I honestly think if I keep it the cover strip won't look right. So I'm cutting it off. Let's hope the dark side has shown me the way! Wish me luck lol!!!

• Like 1

Sorry mate - been away on vacation and short wifi sessions - none the less keep up the great work and those are some deadly awesome seams!

Thanks bud! They were harder then the sniper plate imo.

More work to show -

Holes are drilled. Once the split rivets dry I will attach the elastic and attach the two halves.

D54CB49C-D273-4931-917C-38C04689F4D9_zps

Hand painting the rivets supplied by Echo before they are installed. Thank you again Echo, you are the man!

BFF5F002-3D31-4BC4-A5D2-F49E60F33D49_zps

I also drilled a hole for the rivet in the lower front and a hole on each side of the knee ammo pack in preparation for its mounting when I think the paint has dried enough on the pop rivets. I'll post those pictures very soon.

I am almost there!!

Edited by Dougal

Attached and touched up!

A27AA794-498D-408D-BD17-443FE54DA0E4_zps

I ran out of snaps... So, instead of finishing a couple more connections while out of town this week I decided to start hand painting the details in my helmet. I consider myself an accomplished miniature painter. I have painted for years... Oil base paints are horrible!!! Just my opinion, lol!! Now that I got that out of my system, I started with the frown. RTMod prebuilt my helmet for me and used details so I started by tracing the decal with a pencil and then removing the decal.

C9D9AC58-AECD-4F98-B537-16F10794E9E8_zps

Then after an hour of painting and cleaning up and repainting, and then repeat that process again, this is what I finished with. I didn't use painters tape or stencils, just the tracing I took from the decal that was originally on it. It was hard... Just saying, lol!

8A67554B-DBD4-4C02-837A-46067A2D7A6D_zps

I might paint more tomorrow. Not sure, need a better method of cleaning up. Qtips leave cotton material behind in the paint that I need to remove otherwise you see little string snakes in the paint. Might use some masking tape this time also!

• Like 2

Slightly dampen the q-tip before using - I used my tongue on the q-tip before dabbing it into a small amount of paint thinner to remove excess paint - hope that helps mate

Slightly dampen the q-tip before using - I used my tongue on the q-tip before dabbing it into a small amount of paint thinner to remove excess paint - hope that helps mate

Thanks Aaron! I will try that when I paint the chin tomorrow!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't worked a lot on my armor as I have been dreading having to put a shim on. Plus, I have been out of snaps so that put me at a "stand still". I didn't want to buy more snaps yet because I was hoping to get an answer to this question first. How much do snaps effect the decision for Centurion, in regards to brand and color? I have asked this question in a private message but haven't heard back from the recipient so now I'm asking via my build thread in hopes of getting some type of feedback on this subject. I purchased the black plated Tandy brand snaps. They aren't black. More of a gunmetal grey in color. (Haven't gone back to look again but I was sure I saw a build thread using the same color snaps.) The other thing noticeable with these snaps is the logo imprinted on the snap. Just wondering if this is an issue? Not necessarily on the strapping system but more in regards to the 3 visible snaps.

I did finally cut my "love-handle" extensions and this is the seam before gluing. Let me know what you think. I will abs paste the seam after I have them glued together via a strip of abs in the back.

**edit**

Forgot to mention I had to fill those holes I prematurely drilled... I guess I assumed to much before drilling, lol!!

5377B551-A445-41CA-874B-25186C6AC843_zps

Edited by Dougal
  • Like 1

The only snaps you need to be concerned with color wise, is the ones showing from the outside. All internal ones can be whatever color your heart desires. No one will see the inside of your kit when suited up. Fill those holes and seems with ABS paste. Try to apply it on as smoothly as possible and then sand it smooth. It may take a few applications but it's worth it in the end. Then wet sand and polish it. 

• Like 1

The only snaps you need to be concerned with color wise, is the ones showing from the outside. All internal ones can be whatever color your heart desires. No one will see the inside of your kit when suited up. Fill those holes and seems with ABS paste. Try to apply it on as smoothly as possible and then sand it smooth. It may take a few applications but it's worth it in the end. Then wet sand and polish it.

So.... Do I have to replace these?

F0F57D41-0EF2-4B14-A129-A86D71F6BCD9_zps

Hey mate, I'd check out reference pics and see what col our they show (I don't know how to add links via tapatalk). Personally, I'd lean towards replacing with silver, only on the assumption that these don't show on reference pics or the CRL.

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0251 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

It has been very slow going but I did make a little progress.

Pictures of my shims glued into place -

6BA45BD2-15D3-4508-8607-715682A53F2D_zps

5FD3FB21-36DB-41C7-AA0D-365DDA8491F6_zps

49487250-DF70-44AC-B2AF-9FDF7756725F_zps

6586F00A-3406-439B-BD2D-4AD3638BA882_zps

Making paste hopefully this week and trying to smooth those joints out. Wish me luck!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my latest update...

Holes filled!! I'm fairly happy with the results. I still need to finish the seam so it should look even better after its finished. Camera also shows a lot more detail, lol!

25A54737-B9D6-4CA4-A5FD-B1978DBA7DA1_zps

4BDA07E3-5DA6-4CD5-B641-A7CE2FF88252_zps

Here are pictures of the seams pre sanding and polishing.

55A0D2FC-3025-4531-96F3-C60D71CBB515_zps

3D5655B9-5438-4395-8A6E-669E21D617E3_zps

The paste took a lot longer to make then I expected. Maybe to much acetone and not enough plastic?? That's what I'm guessing. Took over a week to get to the point where it was usable. New to this, lol! I'm confident!!!

Edited by Dougal