ANOVOS - Baffled by LAST TWO pieces to be rough-trimmed!

inv8r

Forgive me if someone else has solved this elsewhere, but I've been through a number of build threads (committing ukswarth's thread to memory!) and haven't seen anyone mention it yet.  I'm trimming the last two pieces of my Anovos kit, but am stuck on cut lines for them both.  Maybe I've got a wonky pull on a couple of pieces, maybe I'm just easily confused, or overly cautious.  Who knows?  Anyways -

The shoulder bells do not have great, well defined markings on one long side, and the left one in particular appears to have two lines which could both be cut line on what would be the front edge of the bell.  The two lines start about 1/4" to 1/8" apart at the top of the ridge, and diverge to about a half inch apart by the time they reach the bottom return edge.  Anyone have this molded on their part, and which line did you cut to if so?  The right shoulder bell again is pretty much missing a cut line on the same edge (what would be the back side on the right), and I'm just plain guessing with my pencil mark there - anyone able to point me at a good photo of the trimmed right bell?

The last piece which I'm hesitant to cut is the right knee guard/power packs.  The cut line there is nice and clear, EXCEPT that the left edge seems to just fall right off the corner, with no visible cut line to close the shape, and appears to truncate the curve on the left edge to a stubbier looking curve than on the right side - is that the same for everyone's, or do I have a bad pull there?

Thanks, guys!!!!!

Truthfully David, I'm aware of both situations, as I've seen them first hand, and have seen others ask questions about them also. But... As I don't actually have one of the kits, I can't comfortably try to answer your question(s). If you could post pictures, it would greatly help us in assisting you. ;)

On the knee pack... just go right to the edge and make sure its flat without any return on it at all and you'll be good to go. 

If the curve looks weird and not tangential just copy the radius of the other side and redraw it to cut again. Just take of minimal plastic to achieve the curve.

-Eric

AWESOME!!!!!!!  THANK YOU GUYS FOR THOSE!!   Whew - yeah, that's what I thought on both pieces, but being the first build I've ever done, and given the general asymmetry and wonkiness of the whole sculpt, I found I just couldn't bring myself make those cuts for fear of butchering my kit!  Thank you again!!!!

Okay, JUST because I AM overly cautious, I've trimmed down the knee guard but haven't taken the knife to the shoulders yet.  Here's a couple of quick snaps of the last cut that needs to bemade on each of them:

LEFT BELL------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

That looks right to me.

You can tell you have the right line by looking at the bottom where the cut line turns the corner. If your line meets that line you're super good to go:

-----------

Also it may be easier to cut with the plastic off of the part :) If you're scoring and snapping that is. 

-Eric

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Awesome, thanks again!  Yeah, I've been doing score and snap for everything.  Oddly though, I've actually (I think like a number of people) found that the protective plastic doesn't snag the break, but that something on the BACK side of the pieces almost always does.  Don't know if the ABS is some kind of composite, with a flex/durability layer on the back, but it's consistent across all the parts.

****EDIT****

Okay, listen up fellow noobs - I was SO stupid here!!!!!  Learn from my failure to think through the problem here -  If you get lost on a cut LOOK INSIDE THE PIECE YOU'RE WORKING ON AT THE BACK!!!! The cut lines are fairly evident on the back sides even when they don't translate through to the front of a piece!  For the right bell, the middle section of the cut is still not visible on the inside, but the ends are, and you can fairly safely play connect the dots.  The left bell on the other hand, has CLEAR markings on the back where it should be cut.  EASY!

Edited by inv8r
  • Like 3