6' and UP TKs

Ok so I know this topic has been addressed, but I am having trouble locating the threads.

I am one of the anovos group but at 6'4"ish and getting ready to start my build I am a bit nervous.  Even just planning out my trims.  I am not sure exactly how or if I should adjust my trimming for the height?  Is the recommendation to just do the standard trim and then adjust with shims from there?  Or are their certain parts that should be left longer?

Any guidance, advice, or build threads to get me going in the right direction is appreciated!

:)

I'm that height but only 160 lol. Try doing rough cuts and tape it on to see where the issues are. Then you can try to adjust the fit. Also consider splitting the ab and cod to install a shin hidden under the belt. RT-mod parts would be another option depending on their sharpness and color. Check this thread out:<br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29753-a-tall-guys-mtk-build/'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29753-a-tall-guys-mtk-build/</a>

• Like 1

Ok so I know this topic has been addressed, but I am having trouble locating the threads.

I am one of the anovos group but at 6'4"ish and getting ready to start my build I am a bit nervous.  Even just planning out my trims.  I am not sure exactly how or if I should adjust my trimming for the height?  Is the recommendation to just do the standard trim and then adjust with shims from there?  Or are their certain parts that should be left longer?

Any guidance, advice, or build threads to get me going in the right direction is appreciated!

:)

There isn't much you can do for height. The parts are made to be adjustable for width but never height. Unless you're going shorter.

At 6'4", you'll be tall but it should still look good.

I'm also a taller/larger trooper (6'4", 230 lbs). Just came home from an armor party yesterday, so I got a clearer sense of where I stand with my ANOVOS kit:

(1) If you're not rail thin, you'll likely want to stay outside ANOVOS's molded cut lines when it comes to the width of the parts (length is predefined so there's not much you can do there. Then test fit and trim, test fit and trim some more, etc.

(2) After a tape-fitting, I have a 3-4" gap between the top of the ab plate and the bottom of the chest piece--that's a no go. I'm on the hunt for options to get back the necessary overlap. My local GML was talking about trying to bend the shoulders a bit so that the chest and back plates hang a little lower (insert joke here). That should bring the ab and chest together, but it'll open up space around my neck. Plus, I've never used a heat gun so I'm out of my element on this. I'm also interested in perhaps splitting the ab plate and adding a 4" shim effectively lengthen the ab plate like somebody suggested above--I guess we just have to place it so that the belt hides it? That might be more straightforward for my skill set because no goofy bending/melting plastic. Do you have any instructions on how to do this?

(3) I'll DEFINITELY need to add shims where the ab plate meets the kidney plate. I've got about 1" on either side to fill. I'm on the hunt for tutorials from anyone who's needed to add a bit more waist space.

I'm confident that we tall guys can still make our suits fit, but I'll have to adjust my expectations on the speed of the build. This is going to take awhile. Sigh.

Edited by JAYSONCOMGUY

I'm also a taller/larger trooper (6'4", 230 lbs). Just came home from an armor party yesterday, so I got a clearer sense of where I stand with my ANOVOS kit:

(1) If you're not rail thin, you'll likely want to stay outside ANOVOS's molded cut lines when it comes to the width of the parts (length is predefined so there's not much you can do there. Then test fit and trim, test fit and trim some more, etc.

(2) After a tape-fitting, I have a 3-4" gap between the top of the ab plate and the bottom of the chest piece--that's a no go. I'm on the hunt for options to get back the necessary overlap. My local GML was talking about trying to bend the shoulders a bit so that the chest and back plates hang a little lower (insert joke here). That should bring the ab and chest together, but it'll open up space around my neck. Plus, I've never used a heat gun so I'm out of my element on this. I'm also interested in perhaps splitting the ab plate and adding a 4" shim effectively lengthen the ab plate like somebody suggested above--I guess we just have to place it so that the belt hides it? That might be more straightforward for my skill set because no goofy bending/melting plastic. Do you have any instructions on how to do this?

(3) I'll DEFINITELY need to add shims where the ab plate meets the kidney plate. I've got about 1" on either side to fill. I'm on the hunt for tutorials from anyone who's needed to add a bit more waist space.

I'm confident that we tall guys can still make our suits fit, but I'll have to adjust my expectations on the speed of the build. This is going to take awhile. Sigh.

I've just been reading up on Centurion submissions. Based on discussions in there, a split ab is fine as long as the shim is covered by the belt and there's no noticeable dip/bump.

Shims aren't as scary as I first thought, particularly if you're not so large you need more than 3-4" shims (per side). 2" and below is easiest, because the scrap piece cut out from the the back panel (or was it the chest?) has a large flat section that's perfect for cutting shims, and since it's from the exact same plastic source, the color match is perfect. Bigger than that and you can use the bent piece that came from the ab plate, but that will have to be worked on a little to remove the bend. Still quite doable. You can see what I did for this in my build thread.

I haven't had a problem with the Anovos cut lines, but some are definitely close. This part all depends on how muscular (or heavy) you are, in addition to simply tall, I think. I'm going to have to a lot more aggressive with removing returns than some smaller/thinner troopers, however.

One area I'm thinking I may have to adjust is the back panel. The curve from the back panel towards the front is very sharp, and holds the back panel a lot higher than it needs to be. I'm going to try to taper the return and lessen that sharp bend so the back panel curves more gradually and thus sits a little lower.

All in all, though, I think the armor will work pretty well. :) I'll try to get some more test fit pics on my build thread soon, although you can already see a number of them there. Lots to do yet, but getting closer every day...

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, lightwave000 said:

6'4 220 new and looking to suit up. I have heard I need either an RT-Mod or a AM2.0 kit. Do either of these come with most of the necessary items needed to assemble and modify? Instructions? Which would you recommend? I'm athletic build.

Most armor ships as bare plastic.  You can find a list of needed accessories in this thread:

I would consult build threads here on FISD, especially pinned reference threads, before depending on any instructions from a manufacturer.  Some might be fine, others not so much.  You could end up with wearable armor but if it's not built to 501st specifications, you'll have to fix it before you can be approved.  Even moreso for higher level accuracy approvals like EIB and Centurion.

Don’t get discouraged. I’m 6’3 200lbs and using the standard Anovos kit. Built for Centurion level and finally getting around to applying for EIB.

I didn’t have to shim anything. The biggest thing is spacing things like thighs and shins and arms to make the gaps look proportional.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 8:22 PM, mikidymac said:

Don’t get discouraged. I’m 6’3 200lbs and using the standard Anovos kit. Built for Centurion level and finally getting around to applying for EIB.

I didn’t have to shim anything. The biggest thing is spacing things like thighs and shins and arms to make the gaps look proportional.

I'm 6'1" and "they" had issues with the gap between my back plate and the kidney piece (and it's not even that big of a gap). How'd you get around that?