Thrawn’s Guard E11 Blaster Stands

Thrawn’s Guard E11 Blaster Stands

Further to my blaster stand thread in which the idea is for people to post pictures and links of either scratch built or bought blaster stands, (See link below), I was inspired to have a look at custom building a blaster stand for my own E11.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/35416-blaster-stands/

After a short time sketching out in rough a few ideas I decided to draw out in more detail my initial thoughts and also have a go at modelling the stand to see if it works in 3D.

I still have a fair amount of research to carry out not least with regard to where I could possible get some thin steel plate laser cut and the design may evolve a little over time but I thought that it may interesting for some of you so here goes with my first concept design (3 variations).

The base itself may end up being gloss black, metallic or natural wood whilst my initial thoughts would be to have the removable ‘Death Star’ base plate and imperial logo laser cur from thin steel sheet if possible,

I would also look to perhaps get a plaque made stating/showing some or all of the following:-

1) Star Wars Logo,

2) TK Number (When I get one)

3) Stormtrooper E11 blaster.

Under the metallic death star themed base plate I may look to place a thin white plastic sheet which will show through the holes in the base plate and perhaps paint the opposite face with black so that it is reversible.

Due to the asymmetrical positions of the support arm the stand will not be symmetrical however the detailing and logo would and any plaque I use will probably be loose. The intention here is that I can mount my blaster and simply turn the stand around to view the blaster from opposite side (without the plaque then being upside down).

Anyway enough with the initial rambling. Any thoughts or suggestions, as always, are most welcome.

Here are the concept sketches so far:- 

Blaster%20Stand%20type%201_zpsu7dyqase.p

And here is the 3D render for versions 2 and 3: -

3D%20render%20of%20a%20prototype%20Type%

• Like 2

All of those look fantastic Chris!

I'm wondering whether it's worth considering a different option with the rear stand. Could you make it, literally like on 1cm tall or something, and have it supporting underneath the grip. Then you would have only one highly visible stand at the front, bring more emphasis on the actual blaster. Just an idea, after I saw that other guys 3d printed stand below (I possible wouldn't go up near the selector switch like this one, but something along those lines.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/34198-just-purchased-this-do-it-yourself-3-d-printed-kit-thoughts/

Looks like you have the computer systems to play around with options and images to see how it might look before printing

Edited by Sith Lord
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Ian I like your idea about the rear support arm so will draw this up later today. Such a simple idea but one I'd not thought of.

I think that there was an error with the link you provided above.

Edited by Thrawn's guard

Further to Ian's suggestion above I have drawn out a fourth version whereby the rear support arm has been moved to the handle and the overall height of the support arms have been reduced as much as possible.

I am also playing about with the idea of adding a small lip to the bottom of the base to allow for the option of adding a clear perspex cover later.

coUzNBV.png

Looks great Chris! I wonder how far the handle support would need to come up to stop the blaster twisting in the stand? With my perspex supports, the weight of the blaster (primarily the hengstler and the magazine) causes it to tilt ever so slightly to the left. I have about 1mm clearance all round I guess in my supports.

Ian I will probably build a quick mock up to test this once the final design is decided upon so that I can make sure the blaster is held vertically. I also intend to have a rubber finish on the face of the supports to prevent scratches but this should also provide additional grip to help keep things in place,

@ Dennis - As far as I am aware There isn't a BlasTech logo.<br><br>

@ Michael - That's a good point however because the base plate is dropped down below the level of the perimeter of the base this may be a little too low. I'll have a play around with things to see how it looks.

• 3 months later...

Well I've now decided to start purchasing the materials for a type 4 stand. I'm planning to add a rubberised finish to the underside of the stand base to ensure a good grip and to protect whatever I decide to place the display stand on. I may also incorporate a lip around the base so that there is an option to add a custom made clear Perspex display case. Hopefully things will come together OK and if so I'll post some photographs to show you all what they look like in reality.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well here it is at last. I finally had the time to sit down and get the blaster stand finished. I'm pretty pleased with the results and I think that it was definitely worth the effort. I'll also post a few pictures shortly showing the stand with the blaster in place.

Szb1Fdk.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@ Artimorty thanks for the kind words. It was an enjoyable little project to work on. I just have to decide what to work on next....Perhaps a scratch built Jyn Erso or Ray blaster.

I've also added some additional pictures which show the opposite side of the blaster whilst mounted on the stand.