AM 2.0 first time build

98F6668E-7952-4DC5-B8A1-007F9C7B42C0_zps

After a bit more research, I think I put the snaps on the wrong part of the butt. Should I trim off the part sticking out and attach the snaps to the curved part of the butt? I was following an AM 2.0 build which shows it the first way, but then found an EIB submission thread where it's commented to remove that part.

98F6668E-7952-4DC5-B8A1-007F9C7B42C0_zps

After a bit more research, I think I put the snaps on the wrong part of the butt. Should I trim off the part sticking out and attach the snaps to the curved part of the butt? I was following an AM 2.0 build which shows it the first way, but then found an EIB submission thread where it's commented to remove that part.

I followed Navajo Bro's build thread here: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32531-navajo-bros-am-20-stunt-build/

don't mind the shoulder. You have to cut most of that. 

Either way it will be covered by the actual elastic straps and the actual plastic shoulder straps (that create the connected look). Once you put the elastic they will look aligned.

I'm following it too, but also the full one on the ne site. The EIB submission is where I saw the comment<br><br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/33314-tk-8869-requesting-anh-stunt-eib-status-am20/'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/33314-tk-8869-requesting-anh-stunt-eib-status-am20/</a><br><br>

The piece also really rubs against the back of my legs so it would seem it would help if it's gone.

image_zpshy7zxeq4.jpeg

image_zpse3xe7hoy.jpeg

image_zpsiqnraybz.jpeg

Fit question. After a quick torso fit I found that the helmet came up against the top of the chest piece with very little play. This leads to restricted forward vision and is a bit annoying. Is this normal? I may just have a short neck. I also think the back and chest pieces are a bit high as the bottom of the suit sits on my hips and is difficult to pull down over them. I don't know how much help trimming the cod and kidney would be. It might be better to take some off the bottom of the cod where it meets my hip bone so I can pull the whole thing down a bit. Anyone have this issue? I realize I have to trim the butt piece and may add another set of straps to it to prevent it pivoting. I also haven't finished the snap strap between the cod and the butt, so that may help bring it in a little.

So I think I'm going to bite the bullet and try the hot water method to reshape the left forearm and also both biceps. All need to be a little rounder. I just experimented with an ESB handguard and it reshape a little. Probably need a bit of a deeper container and more water for the parts I need to do. Hope I don't eff it up.

image_zps6cyevmas.jpeg

So I can't believe I never noticed before, but my shoulder bells look completely different. I was planning on trimming them anyway, to make them shallower, but it also looks like I'll have to trim them for length.

Right now I'm putting the torso together. Measured 10mm in from the edge and 15mm down from the top and bottom with the middle just splitting the difference. I'm doing the front first, then will line up the kidney. I had a long talk with myself over whether I should cut the kidney and torso down an inch or two first. In the end I decided against it. Time will tell if that was a mistake or not. The newer chest and back are a lot smaller than the old ones, so shortening might be less necessary than with the older style pieces.

image_zpsmf9e6yzd.jpeg

After many kettle loads and much gnashing of teeth here's the outcome. They don't look that different than before, but the left wrist opening is a bit better and I can slide the right bicep over my forearm easier now. I was hoping for a lot more roundness from the openings, but I would need to tackle the problem on a different scale I think. Once I have the body together and sitting right, I'll attack the shoulders and finish the arms fully.

• Like 1

None are perfectly round (In fact almost none of them are), you may want to do a hot water bath if you really want to round them out for comfort.

Personally i left my armor shapes as they came.

I'm about to rivet the kidney and the front and was wondering if anyone uses speed rivets rather than split rivets? I have both and was going to do the split rivets for accuracy. However, since I have doubts I'll be able to to make centurion with this build it would seem domed speed rivets might be easier. The downside might be that they come loose more easily, but I don't have enough experience with them to know. Any thoughts?

I had to trim my forearms more than probably most people because I'm short. It took me a while, but I finally got something I'm happy with. I trimmed for comfort and ability to move. Granted, I can't move as easily without armor on, but I think i ended up with a happy medium. <br>

I currently have my forearms glue drying or as much as I could do with the clamps I had available. <br>

Fortunately I received a order today with more magnets.

image_zpsmf9e6yzd.jpeg

After many kettle loads and much gnashing of teeth here's the outcome. They don't look that different than before, but the left wrist opening is a bit better and I can slide the right bicep over my forearm easier now. I was hoping for a lot more roundness from the openings, but I would need to tackle the problem on a different scale I think. Once I have the body together and sitting right, I'll attack the shoulders and finish the arms fully.

One is supposed to be larger. Accuracy.

image_zpshy7zxeq4.jpeg

image_zpse3xe7hoy.jpeg

image_zpsiqnraybz.jpeg

Fit question. After a quick torso fit I found that the helmet came up against the top of the chest piece with very little play. This leads to restricted forward vision and is a bit annoying. Is this normal? I may just have a short neck. I also think the back and chest pieces are a bit high as the bottom of the suit sits on my hips and is difficult to pull down over them. I don't know how much help trimming the cod and kidney would be. It might be better to take some off the bottom of the cod where it meets my hip bone so I can pull the whole thing down a bit. Anyone have this issue? I realize I have to trim the butt piece and may add another set of straps to it to prevent it pivoting. I also haven't finished the snap strap between the cod and the butt, so that may help bring it in a little.

Yeah...just lower the chest an inch.

image_zpsw346o3hn.jpeg

image_zps7hfvjjyb.jpeg

image_zpsr70qub6o.jpeg

image_zpstzagkas1.jpeg

I went with the split rivets and it was surprisingly easy. I reckon I'll have to take an inch off the top of the butt at some point, but that'll wait for now. Other than that I'm fairly happy with the body, though at some point I may also split the cod from the ab and shorten it. I regret not shortening the kidney now.

I also took an inch+ off the top of the thighs all round and I'll probably take more off the insides to shape them around the cod better. I can sort of go upstairs, but I doubt I'll be able to kneel without some serious reshaping.

image_zpsw346o3hn.jpeg

image_zps7hfvjjyb.jpeg

image_zpsr70qub6o.jpeg

image_zpstzagkas1.jpeg

I went with the split rivets and it was surprisingly easy. I reckon I'll have to take an inch off the top of the butt at some point, but that'll wait for now. Other than that I'm fairly happy with the body, though at some point I may also split the cod from the ab and shorten it. I regret not shortening the kidney now.

I also took an inch+ off the top of the thighs all round and I'll probably take more off the insides to shape them around the cod better. I can sort of go upstairs, but I doubt I'll be able to kneel without some serious reshaping.

We only kneel to Lord Vader...

But in all seriousness, I don't know of many TKs that can kneel in their armor (I know I can't), so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

image_zpsouzp8rlb.jpeg

image_zpszxwdwx6o.jpeg

Made the biceps clips and glued them in. They didn't come out as neatly as the pros, but I think they'll do the ob. I also trimmed back the shoulder bells about 1/2"-1 1/2" and they sit a lot better now. I'll finish the arms next and connect them all together. Pictures to come next week.

I received a Converser iPhone splitter too. This goes with either TKVoice or Trooper Talk and an Aker speaker. It works great, but I haven't been able to listen to the output yet. I'll find something to record it and see how it sounds. If I don't like them, I'll probably end up with an Icomm.

image_zpsuhboae1j.jpeg

image_zpscwgumuuy.jpeg

Attached the arms together with 1.5" elastic and snaps and they feel good. I may pull up the right forearm a little and will probably shorten both at the wrist, as well as trimming of the sharp bits. I may also redo the shoulder attachment from the bell to the main armor by doubling over the 1" elastic. I'm using snaps at an incredible rate, so I'll see how many I have left. I made a really dumb mistake on the left forearm strap. I usually label the straps just in case they get mixed up. I wrote on the wrong side so there's gold pen visible between the bicep and the forearm. Obviously not a big deal, black paint willing, but just one more thing to be aware of.

• Like 1

image_zpslbv8divh.jpeg

image_zps3lfin0nt.jpeg

image_zpslreqzbgq.jpeg

image_zpstxohxcj3.jpeg

1st test fit of arms and body. I didn't realize until after that the snap holding the right bicep to the shoulder had come undone which is why it looks funny. I may add another snap there if its a weak point. I think I'll also be shortening the shoulder strap somewhat. I measured it several times but didn't take into account that my shoulders would be lower than the straps so there ends up being a gap. not so noticeable in the pictures, but I saw it in the mirror.

One thing this test showed me was how difficult it was to get it all on by myself. I had to have help with the arms, but it may just be that it all has to attach in a different sequence.

• Like 1

1st test fit of arms and body. I didn't realize until after that the snap holding the right bicep to the shoulder had come undone which is why it looks funny. I may add another snap there if its a weak point. I think I'll also be shortening the shoulder strap somewhat. I measured it several times but didn't take into account that my shoulders would be lower than the straps so there ends up being a gap. not so noticeable in the pictures, but I saw it in the mirror.

One thing this test showed me was how difficult it was to get it all on by myself. I had to have help with the arms, but it may just be that it all has to attach in a different sequence.

Its coming along nicely. 

As far as self suiting up, as a TK once you have "mastered it" you will be able to get completely dressed except your arms. 

You will need help to attach your shoulder straps; other than that you should be fairly self reliant. Just takes some time.

Now get to working on that bottom half. Unless your going for a surfer TK.

• Like 1

Looking good Mark. Looks like you are ready to hit the beach. Not even a trooper yet and already thinking about a vacation from the death star. :laugh1:

Keep up the progress. I think everything looks good so far. Well done! :salute:

Edited by Pretzel
  • Like 1

I went to dragoncon in 2015 and there was a surfer TK. He was very inspiring. <br>

Interesting about needing help with the arms. I wondered if I just had the shoulders attached when suiting up the body if I could put the rest of the arms on myself. I'll try that next time I suit up for a test. <br>

The legs are close to being done. I've trimmed the thighs as much as I dare and have made a belt with braces to hold them up. That'll be the next thing I'll be fitting. Just wondering if I should have the thighs as high as the elastic will allow or if the should be a little looser for comfort? I may use Velcro on the loops to allow adjustment, also to save snaps as I'm nearly out again.

After another test fit, no pictures I'm afraid, I realized that the bicep snap came off when I put the helmet on. The bicep was pushed up enough that it went past where the snaps attached and pushed it off. I think adding a second snap there and lengthening the strap a little will fix it. For anyone wondering, I would definitely go with double snaps for everything if I had it all to do again. I might go back and add them after I'm done, but want to finish and get approved first.

I also found out that the braces are visible behind the chest near the armpits, so They'll need to be connected across the chest to pull them in.

I'm happy with the thighs now and will be sealing them up fully soon. The calves feel good too, but will be adding padding to both to help them sit better around my knees.

I have the apps and hardware to use Troopertalk or TKvoice. I seem to be getting feedback issues with the initial tests, but I imagine once the mic is mounted in the helmet it should be ok.

Not long now I hope.