Separating e6000 glued abs?

Howdy all...when I glued my calf piece at the front (overlapping) it didn't quite set as clean as I want/need, and so need to separate, clean & re-glue. Any tips on how best to do this with minimal chance of breaking anything? Any chemical or solvent that loosens the bind?

Should be able to just pull it apart slowly, that's the beauty of E600. Just go slow, if you can put a small wedge (ie knife blade) to loosen the glue. I just ripped off my cover strips on my arms as I had to re-glue, I just pulled the coverstrip off slowly and no damage.

• Like 1

I'm also in the process of pulling apart my biceps and thighs. It's easy once you get going but that initial pull-apart is taking forever, especially if the glue is really gooped on there. Some people recommend freezing it a little to make it easier to pull apart, but that might weaken all your gluing spots on that piece.

• Like 1

Hey there Jefferson!  Not to worry, as Spencer mentioned above, it will come apart fairly easily.  If you want a little bit of extra assurance when taking it apart, leave it in the freezer overnight before you attempt to take it apart.

• Like 1

I used a heat gun on a low setting 450 and wave it back and forth a few inches away for approx 25-30 seconds. Then I use a drywall knife spatula as it is very firm thin metal I slip that under the piece and slip it into the warmed up e6000 and gently push and lift up on the piece comes apart real easy. Heat more as you go. Then just rub the left over glue residue off easier to do when it's warm.

• Like 1

I used a heat gun on a low setting 450 and wave it back and forth a few inches away for approx 25-30 seconds. Then I use a drywall knife spatula as it is very firm thin metal I slip that under the piece and slip it into the warmed up e6000 and gently push and lift up on the piece comes apart real easy. Heat more as you go. Then just rub the left over glue residue off easier to do when it's warm.

This may be the way to go if you're planning on using heat. Many people on the forums warn about using a heat gun on external ABS surfaces mainly due to the warping and discoloration that misuse could bring.

I know how easily it could harden and darken foam armors I've worked on, but it's pretty useful for shaping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk