Anovos anh first time build

Ok so this is going to be my first build and I'm going with anovos which I received yesterday, I'm not going for anything fancy just a basic build to 501 requirements.

I already have done my doopydoo e11 blaster and have received my boots but have not painted them yet.

So I think this is going to be a very slow build between my inexperience, the fact that I really don't want to muck up, my three children, my unusual working hours and total lack of space.

4267fc4e0e7e8ecf6b7f51471962ff0f.jpg

Ok so first things first check my box, most looks good, nice packing and all labeled, ah wait a minute, part E, for plastics tips for the arms missing, so quick email to anovos.

Ok decision time, do I use the strapping from anovos or go for stud options that I've seen here, I know I'll have a look at fisd account, wait my account doesn't exist anymore, all those hours I put in looking at threads and noting the useful ones down the drain. Ok no worries time to start reading again, plus with all the cutting and glueing I have lots of time to decide.

So just waiting for the weekend :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

After having a  close-up at the ANOVOS kits over the weekend, I noticed that it comes with Velcro and elastic closures.  Velcro is great for many things, but can come apart and wear out over time, especially on joints that get a lot of stress like the shoulders.  Elastic is also a wonderful thing.... it allows some extra movement, and is perfect for some areas like the bicep/forearm connections.  However, I would go with snaps and nylon on all the main parts, like the kidney, chest, and back plates and thighs.

Side note:  I also noticed that the ANOVOS armor comes with a very thin clear plastic film that covers the armor.  This needs to be peeled off before gluing.

Edited by justjoseph63
  • Like 1

After having a  close-up at the ANOVOS kits over the weekend, I noticed that it comes with Velcro and elastic closures.  Velcro is great for many things, but can come apart and wear out over time, especially on joints that get a lot of stress like the shoulders.  Elastic is also a wonderful thing.... it allows some extra movement, and is perfect for some areas like the bicep/forearm connections.  However, I would go with snaps and nylon on all the main parts, like the kidney, chest, and back plates and thighs.

Side note:  I also noticed that the ANOVOS armor comes with a very thin clear plastic film that covers the armor.  This needs to be peeled off before gluing.

Good tips Joseph, especially on the clear plastic film that covers the armor which you pointed out to me on Sunday. It would seem so obvious yet I haven't heard anyone else talk about it yet. So prob need to get that out to other noobies like myself lol. Also have fun on your build gazzadavis8 and good luck Sir!

Edited by Strick23

Sorry, I didn't realize you were the Eric from Sunday!  That AP gave me a chance to learn a lot about the ANOVOS armor as well, which will definitely come in handy in the future.  It's a great kit, but the strapping system is the only thing that I was concerned about.  If someone chooses to put it together with the included Velcro, I can definitely see pieces falling off during troops now....

I think we ended up with about 20 pounds of scrap plastic when it was all said and done...  anyone interested in a gallon of ABS paste?    :P

Sorry, I didn't realize you were the Eric from Sunday!  That AP gave me a chance to learn a lot about the ANOVOS armor as well, which will definitely come in handy in the future.  It's a great kit, but the strapping system is the only thing that I was concerned about.  If someone chooses to put it together with the included Velcro, I can definitely see pieces falling off during troops now....

I think we ended up with about 20 pounds of scrap plastic when it was all said and done...  anyone interested in a gallon of ABS paste?    :P

Yeah I got in contact with Tim and I'll be going to the AP in Ocala on Sat. I should get a lot more done and learn a lot more as well. Also a couple of my fingers on my right hand are a little numb and callused from all the cutting on Sunday lol. I think that AP got me the fever for this and I'm already thinking I want to do a sandy in the future :-) 

Ok so this is going to be my first build and I'm going with anovos which I received yesterday, I'm not going for anything fancy just a basic build to 501 requirements.

I already have done my doopydoo e11 blaster and have received my boots but have not painted them yet.

So I think this is going to be a very slow build between my inexperience, the fact that I really don't want to muck up, my three children, my unusual working hours and total lack of space.

4267fc4e0e7e8ecf6b7f51471962ff0f.jpg

Ok so first things first check my box, most looks good, nice packing and all labeled, ah wait a minute, part E, for plastics tips for the arms missing, so quick email to anovos.

Ok decision time, do I use the strapping from anovos or go for stud options that I've seen here, I know I'll have a look at fisd account, wait my account doesn't exist anymore, all those hours I put in looking at threads and noting the useful ones down the drain. Ok no worries time to start reading again, plus with all the cutting and glueing I have lots of time to decide.

So just waiting for the weekend :)

If you haven’t yet, find your local 501st garrison and sign up on the message boards and try to find a local armor party to attend. It will get you on the right path and help you on your build a lot. It helped me and you get to meet a lot of cool like minded people. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I'm a little behind on my posts, by the way a big shout of thanks to ukswrath. His thread here about the anovos trooper has become my go to guide.

Anyway spent most of the week cutting the pieces taking a lot of time, originally found the score and snap method a little difficult but after a little trial and error it certainly seems the best. Obviously I forgot to take any pictures !!

As I'm a fairly large guy (6foot3 and 254 pounds) I've left some of the overhang on the biceps calfs etc until I get to assembling in case I need a little extra wiggle room

So I thought I'd start with the arms as that seemed the easiest place, got the shoulders cut, the upper arms and biceps,

I've decided to use a snap system using some of tk300's methods, some of the anovos, and some of my own ideas due to my size.

The shoulders are done, the snap glued to connect to the strap ( try to put a photo later), plus Velcro at the end for the arm elastic.

The upper arms are done, strips glued, plus snaps. Very pleased with how they came out.

dbabc1e70a8edc7862bd5e48f1c65a85.jpg

My biceps are cut but I'm waiting for the missing strips to be sent from anovos( their customer service has confirmed they'll be sending them out, no date yet) so as I have some very thin plastic sheets I'm glueing them on the inside so as all I'll have to do is attach the strips on the outside when they arrive.

Oh and the hand guards are cut and Velcro put on, I think I'm happy with them for two reasons, one, this is my first tk and I don't think I'll go for centurion on this one, and two. I'm skint don't have the money for too many extras. :)

Ok so this is more a follow and history and is certainly not a guide, there are some fantastic guides on here. Anyway my wife and children are away skiing this week while I'm at work, but that means I can take over the living room and really kick on with my build. Again apologies for the photos as I'm more concerned with pressing on as much as possible.

So what have I managed

Chest plate cut and snaps put in place,

Back piece cut and snaps put in place,

Ab plate. cut and most of the snaps put in place ( no rivets yet, haven't decided if I'm going to put them or not)

Kidney cut and snaps put in place

Butt plate cut and snaps put in place

Calfs cut and strips glued at the front, back to do, thinking of doing the Velcro method, but I have everything to do the hook- bra style.

Photos415320235ea97de4a498f1aeabfdf281.jpg

b45a78a2628688b36f707caede9357db.jpg

ad937c39a9d565ec01aed586bfc8b99b.jpg

cfb7c4474e8420a2a4f93f7f6ce9924d.jpg

8fa86a26093b7a63214e1b439dc34f90.jpg

3aaf3e8da62c6450ab40b36d445c7ae1.jpg

0e5581d8e3f5035eec11377b88068a4c.jpg

I'm looking at the distance between the ab and kidney plate and it's a lot about two inches on both sides, now I'm dieting at the moment and have a good 30 pounds to lose so maybe this will be less of a problem, is there a way to do a temporary shim that's acceptable for level 2 ( yeah I may not go for centurion for my first build but I might push myself to get to level 2 standards )

8319ee61389facd824e6d442b5817385.jpg

e2607f92ca738e867ac10275ee78e14c.jpg

63b2ac9250fc6fbf624baa6aeff14ced.jpg

you're going to have to change the shoulder straps. They are suppose to be white, not black bud. Sorry lol...

Black is ok for basic 501st approval and even EIB but since we're encouraging everyone to shoot for Centurion, white is suggested. Thanks David :duim:  

Black is ok for basic 501st approval and even EIB but since we're encouraging everyone to shoot for Centurion, white is suggested. Thanks David :duim:  

better to update an easy strap at the early stages then later. But agreed. Thanks for the clarification Tony!

Hi Guys,

I know for centurion the straps need to be white, as its a snap systems I can easily replace that in the future. One of the great advantages of the snap system, I agree that going straight for centurion status is a good idea but at the moment Im carrying a little extra weight, I already lost 33 pounds last year and hope to do the same again this year. For this reason I'd rather put temporary shims around the waist for now and later on correct them with the correct rivets and such, hence theres no way for me to do centurion straight away.

So this week has been really good I ploughed on finishing all my trimming, fitting etc, got lots of things glued, then the fittings and so on. really started making headway and then booooomm found out the calfs on anovos were mislabelled (thanks to ukwraths thread).

Ok so they have already been glued and such, one long part of the evening ungluing and regaling, anyway. after all that some pictures of the bits I've done this week

Ok so after my test run I have the following observations and questions,

observations,

Helmet needs padding at the top,

sniper knee is a little uncomfortable, does anyone else have this problem, if so how did you deal with it?

the hand guards are a little odd, may change to latex ones later on.

need to finish my boots!

I've used elastic to keep up my thighs they feel a bit low, I'm thinking of maybe changing them to webbing, has anyone else done this? if so, is comfy, does it have enough give?

Questions,

As I stated in this thread earlier for the kidney/abdomen join I really only want to do a super shim/rivet join once I finish losing the weight this year, I've made a temporary shim/join using a stud system (had to add almost 3 inches  on each side), will this be acceptable for basic approval or even EIB as there wont a gap? (photo to follow)

To make the belt acceptable for approval do we really need to drill off the extra snaps, I've read a lot of threads where people have drilled them out then used fabric to cover the holes, will it be acceptable if i simply covered the extra two studs with fabric so as we dont see the?

My last question concerns the backplate, it seems very small, I have a large gap between it and the kidney plate, is that normal? I'll add a picture and to be fair the attach between the back plate and the kidney wasn't connected. Is this gap ok for basic or EIB approval, or do i need to add vertical shims?

For the sniper knee I have a strip of 1 inch foam in the front of my shin armor about 2 inches down from the top. It pushes your knee plate forward and never impacts the thigh. A very simple fix. I can post a pic if you want to see it just PM me if you do. <br><br>

You are well along on your build I'd recommend double snaps for areas of high stress as snaps do pop off. I don't know what velcro was provided sounds like they went with inexpensive hook and loop generic. So I could see that failing. But real industrial strength velcro is bullet from it will never fail or come apart. I use it on my shoulders bell straps and on my elastic strap from bicep to forearms it's like it's glued in place. Buy it at Home Depot. Its worth it.

Thanks Tkzombie, that seems like a good idea for the sniper knee, pm sent. For the Velcro and such I only used it on the biceps to upper arm which seems fine, plus the back of the calfs but I really don't like it here, I'm going to look at the hook methods it seems a better option.

I haven't got double snaps everywhere but it seems like a good idea, I used tk300's snap system plus some of my own ideas. I reinforced the groin and kidney area by converting a pair of braces into straps so the groin,kidney has the braces plus they are connected the chest/back area.

After trying it on again today I definitely want to do the following,

Change the elastic on the belt to webbing ( with a double snap, thanks Tkzombie )

Change the calf Velcro, either industrial Velcro or the hook method

Add padding to helmet, a chinstrap and maybe redo the entire inside if this doesn't work- it keeps slipping and I cannot see a thing.

Redo groin snap, I must of broken it when fixing it on and when that elastic pings back at your privates it brings tears to your eyes.

Oh and finally tested my boots after three coats of paint, not as pleased As I thought I would be, the paint ran and bubbled in places, plus had to pick off some bugs that got stuck in the paint, but over all they seem acceptable, may go for another coat of paint ( or knowing my ocd, scrap off the paint and start again.

Picture s to follow

Yes know the groin is a little wonky in the photo, as I said I have to replace the stud on my groin strap, without it the whole groin seems to slant. And yes this should be fixed even better when my diet finishes and I put on some absolutely pukka side shims rivet etc, only 35 or so pounds to go

Ok so I've got a lot of annoying bits done, firstly I've sewn two strips of white elastic to my shoulder mounts ( yes I know I'm not going for centurion but It does look better)

Secondly following Tk zombies advice I've added some foam to the inside front of the left calf and the sniper knee is much more comfortable. Whilst doing this I became increasingly annoyed with the Velcro and got rid of it and replaced it with the hook system, glue drying at the moment picture to follow.

I've cut and glued material over the two extra snaps on the belt.

2be3a4c6006938a493ebe5aca5d45e80.jpg