First Timer with OCD

I am working with the ANOVOS kit.  I have not started any of the process yet because of time constraints and simply being afraid to screw anything up haha.  I wanted to start with the helmet first and get the helmet to be a fully functional stand alone piece.  I am very big on OCD...so I want it to sound extremely authentic (maybe with some sound board additions as well?  Not sure if that is possible), as well as incorporate certain features, like external audio amplification if necessary and comfort/cooling systems with pads etc.  I want it to be a comfortable, self sufficient unit.  Not really worried about price (obviously to an extent....I don't want to spend $1000 on pads, haha).

I am just looking for opinions and suggestions on what I should buy or any builds that I can follow that incorporate a full setup...pads, microphone, cooling systems etc.  I want it to be wireless and don't mind having the amp and hardware behind the chest plate.  But I do want the microphone wireless so the helmet is removable without messing with wires.  I want the click sound to be minor....I feel like some of the ones I hear at conventions and on the forums are too loud or too intense....the ones in the movies are not that loud.  I know this is probably a generic conversation and I could probably derive the answers by browsing the unlimited knowledge on this forum, but I wanted an easier way to get started.  I have a really intense schedule, so it is hard for me to dedicate time to just reading forum posts for hours on end.  I would like a solid foundation and then I can come back and ask more specific questions as I run into issues.  Thank you in advance to anyone who can point me to a great build....I am looking for something that is long lasting and the "best" one out there, type of style.  If I am going to dedicate time and money into it, I want to do it right.

Absolutely how I felt when I started.

Check out http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/16-ongoing-sales-project-orders/

Echos fan system is awesome. I use the iComm with a wireless setup for voice. Not over the top and people love it.

Did notice with the Anovos kits there are some things that need to be fixed...such as the drop boxes sit too low. Look at pics in the galleries off the main page. The modifications are really not too major to make it look right.

Good luck with the build!

Ben

• Like 1

Personally, I would advise against doing the helmet first, especially if you are worried about messing up. (I know it's hard to resist the pull of the helmet!)

I recommended familiarizing yourself with working/trimming/sanding the armour first. Get a feel for it & gain some confidence. :)

Best of luck & have fun!

Thanks Barcoder.  I actually thought about the same thing and considered it. The issue is that I am also working and doing homework for my degree AND prepping for a baby in June, so I don't have a lot of room to work around the house.  I figured the helmet would allow me to make progress on something self sufficient and be able to do most of the work on the dining room table, for example.  That was the main idea.  I am still considering, but I definitely heard that same recommendation before as well.  I was just thinking of the space involved.  I am still having issues getting a hold of Echo for that fan build.  I also wanted suggestions on the padding and instructions?  And then the voice system.  A lot of people recommended the iComm system, but is that the best?  I see the 3 components on Amazon right now (VoiceBooster Headset Microphone for VoiceBooster (Aker) Voice Amplifiers by TK Products, LLCVoiceBooster Voice Amplifier 10watts Black MR1506 (Aker) by TK Products, Portable, for Teachers, Coaches, Tour Guides, Presentations, Costumes, Etc., and the Voicebooster Icomm -Imperial Communication System -Static Burst Effect Like Stormtrooper) but I haven't seen anything about whether this was the "premium" setup or not and if those are all of the necessary components.  Maybe I am not reading the titles of the posts correctly...

So suggestions on padding sets and installation?  I guess I should start with that.  Also have there been any posts regarding the necessary changes to the helmet so I can start working on those as well?

Haven't been able to find any padding kits that people really recommend.  Seems to be a really mixed opinion....are there no "these the ones to go with" sets that people consider to be the premium padding systems?  I will be acquiring (one day) the Echo fan kit, and the wireless microphone setup with the iComm, so keep that in mind.  Just looking to make the helmet really comfortable and look nice as well.

I was also curious on the best configuration for headsets.  I talked with the folks over at TKProducts and they told me their iComm is having issues using the MR1506, but the MR1505 would be perfectly fine and that most TK'ers use the MR1056 model.  I was also looking for a really good microphone that has a wireless piece that works well with the iComm pieces.  The one they have also appears to have a headphone too which to me is a waste of room in the helmet.  (http://store.voicebooster.com/steren-voicebooster-wireless-headset-tie-clip-microphone-kit/) but they do have the lightweight version of the microphone, but it is not wireless, so I am still looking for that ideal setup.  (http://store.voicebooster.com/voicebooster-low-profile-light-weight-single-ear-hook-omnidirectional-microphone/)

I really like the idea of the iComm being able to take the MP3 input as well so I could add in a soundboard piece, to have some authentic music and/or sounds to play.  How are people activating that sort of setup remotely if the soundboard attachment is in the armor as well?  Sorry I keep spamming this board, but I keep reading more and more stuff and my questions and confusion are piling up...

Edited by Guinea

I was also curious on the best configuration for headsets.  I talked with the folks over at TKProducts and they told me their iComm is having issues using the MR1506, but the MR1505 would be perfectly fine and that most TK'ers use the MR1056 model.  I was also looking for a really good microphone that has a wireless piece that works well with the iComm pieces.  The one they have also appears to have a headphone too which to me is a waste of room in the helmet.  (http://store.voicebooster.com/steren-voicebooster-wireless-headset-tie-clip-microphone-kit/) but they do have the lightweight version of the microphone, but it is not wireless, so I am still looking for that ideal setup.  (http://store.voicebooster.com/voicebooster-low-profile-light-weight-single-ear-hook-omnidirectional-microphone/)

I really like the idea of the iComm being able to take the MP3 input as well so I could add in a soundboard piece, to have some authentic music and/or sounds to play.  How are people activating that sort of setup remotely if the soundboard attachment is in the armor as well?  Sorry I keep spamming this board, but I keep reading more and more stuff and my questions and confusion are piling up...

Pads: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RCLM8Q/ref=s9_simh_gw_g229_i1_r?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=063C0P3CGJCXBAEDV2CG&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Sound System: You only really need the Anker 10watt (1506) and icomm. Other popular options are ROM/FX or HiTechToyz http://www.ebay.com/itm/171934728205?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's personal preference. There's no one "optimal" set up. Same applies for padding. 

I'm Anovos as well... modifications to the helmet are visual ones and is your choice. It's accurate as it is. Some are choosing to trim excess flashing around the eye holes and better secure the lens inside. 

YouTube UKSwrath and watch his series on helmet electronics. 

Hope that helps. 

• 3 weeks later...

I did ukswrath Hovi mic tip with iComm, amp 2, omni mike, and PTT cable, and have been very happy.  I never use the PTT cable because I know me and I'd forget to press it and just talk.  The amp is small, fits inside the helmet no problem, the iComm fits nicely on the other side, the tips are CRL accurate (the ones that came with my kit weren't great and I'd have to paint them), and the mike has so far been good.  

I tested plugging in my shuffle with TK chatter into the iComm, but then with the chatter, I risked having to talk over them (the PTT cable would eliminate this, but for me personally, see above).  I bought a cheap voice amp from amazon ($20), plugged a micro SD with chatter into it, and duct taped (for now, eventually I'll make a nice pocket for it) into my back plate.  I've already found the chatter works best in non-Con settings- it's too noisy at cons and the effect is often lost.  I can also crank that amp up way louder so it can be heard, without effecting my voice.  On that, I think it's really a matter of personal preference.  

And watch ukswrath's youtube videos on his electronics, very helpful.  

As for padding, I found a set of replacement military helmet padding at a local military surplus store for $20, and still had two pads left over.  Like these I just found for $11 on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Aftermarket-Upgrade-Pads-Helmet-Velcro/dp/B00A4TNQ8A (I guess I supported a local business, that's always nice).  You can arrange them how you like.  So far, I've been comfortable, and they're removable, so they can be washed.  

• 2 years later...